• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jeb.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Searching for a Singlespeed road carbon frame!
  • jeb

Hello

Yes, i like to build a light commuter singlespeed carbon bike…………. so what is there to get?

Thanks

hatter

Just get a normal one with a PF30 BB shell and convert it with a Wheels Mfg eccentric B&B.

Loads of choice that way.

federalski
    Free Member

Totally ignoring that you want a carbon frame the Cannodale Caad10 Track bike is light and so good looking. I’d love one if I could justify it.
    Back on track, no carbon framed ss bikes spring to mind for me except the super pricey track bikes, good luck.

schmiken

Track bike is really the only option without using an Ebb in a BB30 frame. Angles are super twitchy though.

hatter

Search eBay for a Trek District carbon?

jeb
    gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ive got a scott cr1-sl, 56cm, that is insanely light (noticeably lighter than the sworks tarmac i replaced it with), super stiff and incredible to ride…. but i snapped off the mech hanger earlier this summer and i’m about to pop it up for sale for anyone who wants to build up a madly light single speeder.

its only the actual mech tab thats gone otherwise its fine, i even rode it home. it can even be fixed for 200quid.

email in prof if interested.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for an EBB in a normal frame.

Track bikes will be heavier* and stiffer* than a road frame, and the angles are steeper, and they won’t have brake mounts at either end.

*they don’t need to be comfortable, they do need to be incredibly stiff, and they still have the same minimum weight despite not having gears of brakes so that gets added to the frame to make it even stiffer.

dovebiker

Lots of track frames have front wheel overlap due to steep angles and short fork offset – worth measuring your front-centre dimension to make sure, particularly if you’re running longer road cranks and have bigger shoes / feet.
    Another option is White Industries ENO eccentric hub, which will work with any road frame – been using one for years with either fixed gear or freewheel.

sheck

Trickstuff do an eccentric BB for traditional BB shells… have singlespeed my Salsa Vaya that way

13thfloormonk

Charge Plug 1 singlespeed? Never going to be crazy light, but mine feels pretty rapid with mostly stock (cheap) components.

Would love to fling some money at saving weight, would be great fun.

crazy-legs

Track bike won’t have drillings for front or rear brake. You might be able to get forks drilled and then run it fixie but I doubt you’d get the back end drilled for a rear brake. It will also be staggeringly uncomfortable!

Spin do a nice Ti SS road bike but to get carbon you’d have to go one-off complete custom I think which would be ££££.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Pains me to say it but this PX Stealth can be built up singlespeed due to the track dropouts and rides well on the road. Mrs PB rides one in triathlons and it’s fine.

TiRed

Not much around these days. Pearson used to make a dedicated fixed wheel road bike. Gone now. Dolan make the Seta track bike that has a higher front end than a sprint track bike. I have one (for the track). You’ll need the fork drilled. Geometry is a little aggressive for the road, but it will cope.

In the absence of the above two, I’d go custom Burls titanium instead. I think the flex of the tubing adds to the comfort – it’s why steel bikes ride so well fixed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Searching for a Singlespeed road carbon frame!’ is closed to new replies.