Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Sealskinz socks or winter shoes/boots?
  • faustus

Knee-length sealskinz are the key. I’ve never owned any winter boots, these keep my feet warm and dry in all but the worst conditions when rain runs down thighs/knees. They cope with loads of puddles and slop, i generally treat them like sock wellies. Mine have lasted 5+ years including machine washing at low temperature (not frequently though, just when they smell!).

fathomer

I’ve got Shimano MW81’s and still get wet feet when it’s really damp. Water inevitably gets over the top.

I’ve been contemplating getting some drysuit cuffs to go over them or treating myself and getting some Endura stealth tights.

It’s a shame Endura don’t make leg warmers in the stealth material.

ransos
    Free Member

The main things to consider are not constricting blood flow and stopping movement of water.

The first thing is your body – it’s impossible to keep hands and feet warm if your core temperature is low.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dunmail
    Free Member

The first thing is your body – it’s impossible to keep hands and feet warm if your core temperature is low.

True, though perhaps that is an implicit assumption by the OP? Regulating core body temperature whilst exercising in potentially hypothermic conditions is a whole thread/thesis of its own. 😕 Of course when biking not only are you out in bad weather you are moving quickly through it thus increasing things like wind chill: biking in to driving rain gets you much wetter & colder than riding with your back to the wind.

My feet rarely get cold, even when wet, but my hands chill quite quickly when damp. Which is slightly unfortunate as having manual dexterity is much more useful when things go wrong than having cosy feet 🙁

epicyclo

chrispo – Member
    My conclusion is that unholed Sealskinz socks are great against the odd puddle and spray but cannot cope with serious MTB wetness…

I beg to differ.

A little test I did a few years ago when trying to find what would work for wading icy rivers etc

First put your sandal in some nice refreshing icy water

Remove from water and go for walk

My feet were toasty in no time.

This beat all the boot combinations I did the same with. I don’t think I could ride with boots high enough to keep the water out like calf length SealSkinz.

I wear a pair of those quick dry cycling socks, then a thin merino, and then the SealSkinz. One benefit of the sandals is that they seem to adjust better to a loose fit. I have done some of the coldest StrathPuffers with this setup.

As ransos says though, you have to keep your core temperature up, and one of the best ways to do this is avoid unnecessary heat loss from icy spray. That = full mudguards if you want to spend a full day in the mountains.

Edit: washing – I turn mine inside out and stick in the machine with my wool wash. Seems to work ok.

jairaj

Not sure if anyone has heard or used Dexshell before?

But I came across these the otherday and thought I’d take a punt:

http://www.merlincycles.com/dexshell-waterproof-coolvent-lite-cycling-sock-71005.html

They use Porelle which I think is the same waterproof material in Sealskinz. I’ve ordered a couple pairs from Merlin and will be giving them a go in the Peak District next week.

scotroutes

Porelle is what Sealskinz used to use but I think they fell out over the licensing of it or something.

You can also get some other Dexshell socks here, including mid-calf length

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

The 303’s are £200 but I’ve seen them cheaper than that so are pricey. However as someone else put I’m banking on them lasting me a couple of years at least.
    They are waterproof, and suitable for riding in sub zero temps.
    They have an inner neoprene I think lining that closes nicely round the foot, and then they do up with boas which are ace and a clip that pulls the top part round to protect water ingress from the top.
    They are so good and comfortable that I am not wearing my normal shoes anymore,.
    Easy to walk in, I was concerned about rub round the calf area but nothing. They are just superb, and even went bike hiking today coz we got lost and and stepped into s boggy water by accident and my feet were completely dry! Best money I think Ive spent on bike stuff!

DaveRambo

I’m another who wears Shimano MW81’s, half a size too big so I can put a thick pair of merino socks on and still wiggle my toes.

It’s rare that I get wet feet these days but I had a few with the older MW80’s

I tried sealskins and they were OK but if you stand in water deep enough water gets into both.

butcher

I’m tempted to bite the bullet and get some shoes, and maybe some Sealskinz later on if required. Presumably something like the mh81s would fair pretty well keeping the wind out? Which is half the battle really. Wet feet is one thing. But windy wet feet is something else. And would these likely keep my feet warm on dry days when, say, in single figure temps?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sealskinz are waterproof-apart from the big hole they need to function as socks to enable your foot to fit-meaning water can & will run in the top.
    The only other way they leak usually is if the wearer hasn’t trimmed their toe nails & it perforates the membrane.
    Every single sock is tested to ensure it’s waterproof before it leaves the production line.
    Still, they work very well if worn under tights.
    I personally wear them with winter boots if it’s really cold, not instead of.

womp
    Free Member

I use northwave artic 1 size bigger, woolie boolie socks, knee length sealskins and chemical heat pads…..My feet still freeze and its crippling, this year I’m going to try some heated insoles

fionap

Evans have got some Sealskinz on half price at the moment: http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/clothing/socks/f/sealskinz#!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Great offers if you have woman’s or giant’s feet 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sealskinz socks or winter shoes/boots?’ is closed to new replies.