Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sealskinz Socks – first pair or second or even third ?
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

Hey all,

Been out in the snow recently and tried a different combination of socks in an attempt to keep feet warm – failed each time really 🙄

Now, are sealskinz socks designed to be the first pair of socks you wear and then any others over the top or on their own or the top pair of other socks worn underneath

I really am not sure !! – other than they appear to be pants (rubbish before you all say – no bunners they are socks not pants 😆 ) !

sc-xc

I wore a pair of ordinary socks, a pair of sock guy socks then a pair of sealskinz for Friday's commute. Still nearly cried when the hot water of the shower hit my numb feet 🙁

cinnamon_girl

I wear Seal Skinz merino and nothing else … on my feet! Most women suffer from cold feet and these keep me warm. They are longer too. I believe some people wear a thin liner under them.

LeeW

How big are your shoes Barry? You must've had to go 3 sizes up to get all that lot in.

cinnamon_girl

But there was also a thread on here about spd's and cold feet. I use flats with 5 10's.

druidh
    Free Member

I wear a thinner "liner" sock under the Merino Sealskinz.

Do you have enough room in your boots/shoes for this combination though? Unless you've bought them with this in mind, there's a fair chance they'll be too tight, restricting circulation and making your feet cold.

cinnamon_girl

Winter shoes AND summer shoes is the way to go!

ton

just wear wool socks and flat shoes.
    in spd shoes your feet do not move so no blood gets into them.
    in sealskins your feet sweat and get damp, and with your feet being cold….cold feet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

as above, too much stuffed into your shoes doesn't help matters. I normally just wear the seal skins with the dark blue top (can't remember what they're called) when it's this cold and if it gets a bit colder, I might use the seal skins merino wool liner under them.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

just sealskinz socks with goretex lined merrell chameleons have kept my feet warm and dry all week when outside… but i don't seem to be that susceptible to the cold in general though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wear a normal pair under neath but only if there is room.

stuffed a massive pair of wool socks in my boots this week – got home thinking my boots had let in water – they were that cold – but they were just restricted.

best combo so far is thin coolmax socks and thinnish merino hiking socks on top.

Frankers
    Free Member

When i wore sealskinz socks i always used to get cold feet.

This week on wednesdays ride i wore thick poly/cotton socks and got really cold feet, on friday i wore medium thickness smartwool socks and my feet were really warm. Take care not packing your feet out which stops movement and circulation.

Sealskinz socks are crap imo

scaredypants

My feet got cold in sealskin merino socks last time out but only after I'd broken through the ice on a puddle & soaked my shoes, which then froze solid round my feet

before that they were toasty

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Some good ideas here, thanks all, have just ordered some wool liners so see how we go !
    Nothing worse than cold feet !

elaineanne
    Free Member

xherbivorex ::: eh ? you wear 'goretex lined merrell chameleons' , they are for walking arent they ? my hubby has them on his feet constantly… never for biking tho ? then he never goes biking..lol just walking…

i tried sealskin…found my feet were stilll cold…. so i wear good walking socks…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

xherbivorex ::: eh ? you wear 'goretex lined merrell chameleons' , they are for walking arent they ? my hubby has them on his feet constantly… never for biking tho ? then he never goes biking..lol just walking…

well i've walked a hell of a lot more than biked this past week, but yeah i've worn them for biking too (i ride flats and mostly wear vans rowleys but the merrells are pretty grippy too)…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sealskinz Socks – first pair or second or even third ?’ is closed to new replies.