• This topic has 29 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gwurk.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sealskinz alternatives?
  • crazyjenkins01

Looking at getting a pair of sealskinz to keep the tootsies dry for my upcoming night rides as I hate wet feet.
    Anyone got advice on alternatives or just bit the bullet and shell out for sealskinz??

TIA

kayak23

Placcy bag on the foot. Same thing essentially..

Tracey

The Aldi ones are quite good if you can find a store that still has some

joshvegas
    Free Member

Goretex bootliners.

But just get the sealskins.

Actually no.

Jst get some waterproof boots.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Placcy bag on the foot. Same thing essentially..

Yep, tried that approach in 1993. Didn’t work then either.
    Your’e just as well off with merino socks.

maccruiskeen

Reid Chill Cheaters over a pair of football socks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Merino socks, just accept your feet are wet and toasty warm

aikon
    Free Member

Dexshell, I’ve been doing a bit of work for them over the last year, with a bit of product testing thrown in for good measure.

submarined
    Free Member

I love my Sealskinz. Up until the water runs down my leg into them. But I’m not sure that there are any products (shoes or socks) that don’t suffer from this. I’m about to try dry suit gaiters as suggested on here. If they works then they’ll be bob on.

I’ve got the mid length ones, but I’m going to get a pair of the knee ones for moar winter essentials.

I’ve got some of the Aldi ones, but haven’t tried them yet. They’re a bit short tbh.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for input guys

tillydog
    Free Member

Aldi ones are as good as Sealskinz IMHO, but I find neoprene wet-suit socks warmer than either of them – not really drier, just warmer. (Wear a pair of normal socks underneath.)

mcnultycop

Dexshell (which I’ve had from Aldi and elsewhere) perform better than Seslskinz. And are cheaper.

thenorthwind

I have both Aldi ones and Sealskinz. Aldi ones are just as good at keeping water out, but the fit is slightly worse and they’re shorter (which is important for keeping water out).

The Sealskinz were a present. If I had to keep one pair I’d choose them. But if a I had to buy another pair with my own money, I’d get the Aldi ones. Still a couple of pairs in my local this evening.

martinhutch

Dexshell +1

Phil_H

I’m trying out some knee high thin sealskinz. Knee pads pads or 3/4’s over the top to keep them in place. Working out ok so far.

chestrockwell

I have a pair of sealskinz and the Aldi ones. No contest, the ss are miles better quality, fit and finish. They cost loads more though so depends what your priorities are.

Both are still waterproof and well used although the seam of the Aldi pair is coming apart a bit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have both and the Aldiones seem better to me though my SS are older

burlysurly
    Free Member

I work on the bike so have tested the aldi, dexshell and seal skinz quite extensively. The cheaper ones do the job but after a few hours of heavy rain start to let in water though the actual foot hole,Seal skinz are brilliant and well worth the extra money if you want dry feet whatever the conditions.

epicyclo

The important thing to do with SealSkinz is to get a size that is almost loose. I find they work better if they are not stretched on.

Also long enough so that the top is above the downward spray of water from your back wheel when you’re on the upstroke. Or proper mudguards.

Spin
    Free Member

Merino socks, just accept your feet are wet and toasty warm

There’s no way a regular sock (merino or not) would keep my feet warm on a wet, cold ride. If that works for you I’d suggest one of the following is going on: you live dahn saff, you’re wearing winter boots, you’re a penguin.

crazyjenkins01

Cheers all

benpinnick

Ive got Dexshells and 4 generations of sealskinz. The only ones that actually ever keep my feet dry for a reasonable time are the latest generation sealskinz in knee length. Everything else is OK for puddles etc. but not really cutting it in the rain as they just fill up with water in the end.

lovewookie

thermal army edition sealskins have been going for the last couple of years, before that regular sealskinz until the OH decided to tumble dry them.

the army ones can be had on ebay for around £15, noly real difference is the green band around the top of the socks.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Another vote for the knee high Seal Skins.
    They might look a little silly with shorts but they are ace at keeping your feet warm and dry.
    The only pair of waterproof socks that have kept my feet dry when cycling.
    I am somewhat attracted to riding through big puddles !!!

ajantom

thermal army edition sealskins have been going for the last couple of years, before that regular sealskinz until the OH decided to tumble dry them.

Are we married to the same lady by any chance 😉

My wife’s ruined 3 pairs of Sealskins (2 x Army and 1 normal) by tumble drying them. I always insist I wash my own bike kit, but somehow she manages to mix them in with other stuff!

The Army Issue ones are great if you can find them. My local army surplus store always used to have them for about £10-15, but not had any stock for ages now.

gwurk
    Free Member

Also. Always wear a thin pair of sports socks underneath your seal skins.

Aldi have changed their’s. last years were better. IMO

crazyjenkins01

Took the plunge on sealskinz to see if they’re any good. Didn’t cost loads so if they aren’t as good as I hope it’s no massive loss, but anything in terms of water protection is better than nothing for the moment!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

the mid length hydrostop socks are bleedin’ ace, into almost december and I’m still on my normal summer shoes with these socks, if its puddle splashes/stream running descents then these work ace, if the waters constantly splashing up on your shoes the water doesn’t get in, very very very worse case scenario on the worst of wettest shit mucky days Ive had damp feet at the end of a ride

I guess the folk who moan have it running down there legs are out in the rain and its dripping down your legs into the socks them selves (but even then its a million times better than normal socks)

ive had mine well over a year, always washed and they still just work, after another pair as a backup in the sales but not seen any mid length hydrostop ones

submarined
    Free Member

I disagree, IMHO if you give zero shits about puddles then it will still splash far enough up your legs to run down into the mid length ones 🙁
    That’s why I’m going to try gaiters, and buy some one high ones, as another pair would be useful anyways.

gwurk
    Free Member

Try trousers Mr Submarine

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sealskinz alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.