Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Seals dont fit after Hope bb gxp coversion
  • micky
    Free Member

Has anyone done the hope bottom bracket GXP conversion here? The adaptors/reducers conversion parts prevent the original seals from being fitted back on as the circumference is larger on the adaptor bits than the hole in the centre of the seal. Do i just file the hole bigger in the seal or am i doing something wrong? The adaptors are sitting flush together on the bearing. Thanks.

ChrisI

The black out seal? That shouldnt be removed from what I’ve seen, you fit the adapters over the top.

Instructions here – http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/B.BracketTruvativ.pdf

I have always wondered what you then do when you want to replace the bearings though.

micky
    Free Member

LOL well done, Thanks Chris. I guess the seal just stretches arond the adaptor when you hammer it it. Im fitting a second hand one so took the seal off to regrease. I watched the Hope video on U-Tube but there was no mention of the seal. Probably because he was fitting a new BB. Now the adaptor is fitted i will have to cut the seal as there is no way i can stretch it over and the adaptors are fiddly to remove. Lesson learnt for next time. I have 2 spare seals so ill do it the correct way when i change the bearings next.

mokl
    Free Member

Bloke! Those are a tight fit – I had to give mine a good thump with a hammer.

micky
    Free Member

Cheers Bloke. Just realised that the seal might form part of the set distance between the the ends of the adaptors so ive taken the adaptors off now. Am i right in thinking that the adaptors sit on top of the seal rather than stretch the seal to fit around them?
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/B.BracketTruvativ.pdf
    This link says non driveside cup at the top and then says driveside at the bottom LOL. I take it you have to fit the adaptors on the non driveside.

feisty
    Free Member

I use one with one and han no issue.

The adaptors fit without removing anything. The hope outer black plasric disc needs to be in place as the thickness is allowed for in the spacing of the adaptor peoples mistake is thinking the adaptor should rotate inside the black dust shield when the guard should rotate with the BB axle in a normal x type set up there would be side loading against these discs so the would rotate as well (one of the benefits of a gxp setup is no side loading on the bearings which they are not designed to deal with so less wear).

Pop the shields out clean make sure the bearings are all the way home in the cups, clean and grease the groves in the cups that the shields sit in then pop them back in, they will then rotate with minimal drag. Press the adaptor in making sure you don’t unseat the bearing from the cup. I used a g clamp and some suitable sized sockets.

I have none over 1000 miles on mine now and it has been faultless and after trying loads of crank bb setups I am now sold on gxp

micky
    Free Member

Thanks Feisty. Yes my preference now is GXP too because I like the thinking/design behind it. I have had Shimano & Raceface BB’s last 2 years or more so I can’t really complain about those either. My first experiance of GXP back in 2007 was pretty dire with the BB only lasting 3 months which put me off them to begin with but they are much better now and last me ages.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Seals dont fit after Hope bb gxp coversion’ is closed to new replies.