• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by akak.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sealing tubeless valve
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve got a Stans Podium MMX rim which I’m using with tubeless 559×28 slicks. I’ve replaced the tyre, and because the sealant makes a bit of a mess when I take the old tyre off, I removed the tape and valve, cleaned the rim, replaced the tape with new tape, and fitted a new Stans Presta valve. I was able to fit the tyre to the rim and seal it using a compressor. It sat for a few hours without sealant, and was relatively air tight. I added the sealant, and shook it around. It seemed to stay pumped up for a few hours, although it was flat the next day. I’ve given it a few more pumps and shakes, but didn’t have a chance to fit it on the bike.

However, now it seems to be leaking from the base of the valve. It’s difficult to get air into the tyre, and when it does it escapes after a few seconds. If I shake the tyre when there is still air in it, sealant squirts out from the valve area. I noticed when I removed the old valve that there was a lot of dried-up sealant around its base.

I tightened the knurled nut ‘finger-tight’ as instructed in the Stans instructions. I’m not sure how tight that is, but I nipped it up pretty tight with my fingers. When I made the hole through the tape for the valve I used a bradawl which was smaller in diameter than the valve stem.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I’m hoping the rim isn’t damaged.

seavers
    Free Member

Got the little o ring on the valve? Sure you don’t need a rim strip? Is the rim tape really tight on the rim? Thats all I can think of!

Edit….I thought there was an o ring…..there isnt! sorry

deejayen
    Free Member

Hmmm – what do you mean by the little o ring? I don’t think I saw anything on the valve or in the packaging. There’s a deep round block of robber at the base of the valve which I assumed acted as a plug.

The rim tape is on tight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akak
    Free Member

I press the valve from the inside then finger tight. As in push the valve against the rim, can do it with the tyre on if needed.

Northwind

Seems like 2 different problems? You say it’s difficult to get air into the tyre which would have to be a valve issue (or pump issue) but if it’s leaking around the valve base then that’s most likely a rim or taping issue.

It’s normal for a little air to escape initially till the sealant seals the valve up- how much pressure are you using?

deejayen
    Free Member

When I say it’s difficult to get air in, I mean that I can hear it escaping as I’m pumping. It was fine for a few days – was wondering if the valve has moved.

I’m just trying to get some air in, so not using a lot of pressure at the minute. The normal riding pressure is 40psi max.

I’ll go and have another look, and try pressing the valve as advised by akak.

deejayen
    Free Member

I wasn’t able to tighten the nut any further. It seems quite tight, although I could resort to pliers…

akak
    Free Member

Make a bigger hole in the tape? I just cut a cross in it and press the edges into the hole. Not sure what to suggest otherwise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sealing tubeless valve’ is closed to new replies.