Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sealing Maxxis Tyres on Stans Crest.
  • emmodd
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of non UST Maxxis tyres which i’m wanting to run on my new Stans rims. My understanding is that these rims are designed specifically for non UST Maxxis tyres so I shouldn’t have a problem with them however, i’m struggling to get them inflated.

I’ve used a tube to mount the tyre initially so the bead is properly seated on one side however, I can’t get the tyre to inflate. I’ve tried a hand pump and a track pump but to no avail.It seems the air is coming out of one side of the tyre as quick as it is going in.

Is there a way to stop the air leaking on the one side where the tyre bead isn’t seated? People go on about soapy water but I can’t find anything about the technique or whether this is just in fact to get the tyre on in the first place rather than to help with inflating the tyre.

bighendo
    Free Member

i run maxxis ignitor non ust for a year
    they were superb
    i had the benefit of a compressor tho…
    and you will need wheel milk/sealant as the walls can weep air

emmodd
    Free Member

I’ve got sealant but I want to mount the tyre first. Do you recommend removing the core to initially mount? I guess I need a big burst of air to fill the tyre ie; it needs to go in quicker than it comes out. Any other tips?

dobo
    Free Member

try soapy water or just water around the rim and tyre to make more of a seal, still might not if it isnt seated well enough.
    you could use co2 and try that as well, release it all as fast as you can all at once.
    if not try the inner tube in the first, then when you take out the tube you leave one side seated.

i’ve used loads of maxxis tyres, they all work, its just find the right technique.
    good luck

bighendo
    Free Member

try this??
    yes i removed the valve core….

scoobmw
    Free Member

What I did recently was …..

Stick tyre on, inflate dry with CO2 just to prove to myself the bead seats, then just to make sure it’s holding I stuck a track pump on it for a bit …. it’ll still leak air cos tyre is porous but used that to keep it ‘in shape’ for a bit.

But once you know that works you can either just stick the sealant in, then CO2 it to inflate (make sure valve is at top of wheel (i.e. furthet away from sealant) if you do this as the CO2 can make some of the sealant go ‘off’ and rubbery.
    OR try this ….
    I did this and it worked fine … I wiped both sides of the tyre at the bead with sealant. Then I CO2’d it, but no worries with sealant going off cos there’s hardly any in.
    Then let it deflate naturally as the tyre walls are porous, but the bead will now be ‘stuck’. Either remove core and stick sealant in if you’ve got one of the sealant atachment things, or detach a small bit of tyre and pour it in, and cos the bead it ‘stuck’ now, it will just inflate with a track pump.

Never had uch luck with multiple tyre makes, wheels, when using soapy water.

emmodd
    Free Member

I’ve used the tube to get one side properly seated, it’s getting the air to stay in on the other side that’s the problem. To say the rims are designed for this, it’s really not straightforward is it?

bigjim

Are they new tyres? I had no problems with schalbe and kenda and a track pump on crest’s but I’d previously used them with tubes on the old wheels so the beads were nice and straight. if they are new and still kinked perhaps use them with tubes til they are straight, then try again.

emmodd
    Free Member

One is new the other isn’t but I have had them inflated with tubes first and the beads are straight on both wheels.

younggeoff

neat washing up liquid instead of soapy water helps to get the tyres inflated at first, had to use this with highrollers on crests. Once seated deflate and put sealent in (either pop a bit of the tyre off the rim or remove valve core). I use a small syringe and inject sealent thru valve. Then pump back up and do the wiggly thing to get the sealent all round the tyre. Use soapy water on a brush to see where the tyre is hte most porous.

I’ve managed to inflate with a track pump but a compressor makes things a bit easier.

Hope that helps

mintimperial

High Rollers on Crests here, working well now but were a right faff to get right at first. Here’s what I did:

First I put them on the (yellow-taped) rims with tubes in at high pressure, and left them for a couple of days to shape up. Took the tubes back out. Using lots of 50/50 washing up liquid/water, I got the beads seated as well as possible before inflating, and pumped like mad with a track pump. It was very frustrating at first, but after a while they sealed and pumped up. Once the beads were seated, I deflated them again and filled them up with sealant using the syringe thingy (makes things much easier), then pumped them up to 40psi again. Then I shook them around for a good five minutes and left them overnight again. Kept having to top up with air for the first couple of weeks, they do take quite a while to settle down. Putting a bit more sealant in after the first few days was a good idea too. They’re great now though!

Sounds like you’re having bother with getting the beads seated, which is the hardest bit – lots of washing up liquid, pump like mad, and swear a lot! That worked for me (eventually)…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If neat washing UP liquid doesn’t work try washing MACHINE liquid.

I had to take out core and put hard pressure on the tyre over the valve but got it to work with a track pump (after many wasted Co2 using washing UP liquid)

After you’ve done it once it’s easy…. it’s just getting it done that first time …LOL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sealing Maxxis Tyres on Stans Crest.’ is closed to new replies.