Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sealing marble floors?
  • nicko74

Bit of a random one, but that’s the beauty of stw…

I have a couple of bathrooms with marble tile floors; the marble’s tumbled (hence not shiny, soft edges etc) and the tiles are about 1″ in size.

Some sources recommending sealing all marble surfaces (incl kitchen counters), and I’ve noticed that with these floors having a fair amount of water on them from time to time, they do start to look dirty quite quickly. So I’m thinking of sealing them. Probably as a DIY job

Questions:
    – good idea/ bad idea?
    – easy to do or tough?
    – any pointers you can offer?

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

Filafob

Funny name, great stuff.

http://www.mandarinstone.com/product/_/491/fila-fob-1-litre-solvent-based-and-oil-waterproofing-agent/

You will need to make sure the stone is very clean and all wax is off it first.

mega
    Free Member

I’m a DIYer and have have used LTP stone sealing products and found them to be really good.

Their technical helpline is brilliant – really knowledgeable and the chap gave me a few tips and tricks.

LTP products are sold in tile giant if you have one nearby – was handy for me when I ran out half way through

http://www.ltp-online.co.uk/ltp-mattstone_17.html

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I always use and recommend Lithofin Stainstop for sealing marble, it’s an impregnating sealer that dries matt and clear but seals the porous surface.

Easy to do, clean the floor 1st then when it’s dry, just apply with a cloth or small roller, let it dry. JD.

rshaul
    Free Member

if using a cloth to seal them try and get a hold of a lint free cloth.no chance of any of the bits of it getting stuck on the tiles.
    bit more expensive than normal cloth but worth the extra(im sure b&q do 3 for a tenner)

nicko74

It lives!

I haven’t actually done this yet, but still planning to. The missus has read on “like, 6 websites” that marble sealant and grout don’t go well together – something about producing white colour on it, crumbling etc. Does that jibe with anything you folk have seen/ experienced/ would comment on?

The floor in question is 1×1″ tiles, so there’s a lot of grout there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sealing marble floors?’ is closed to new replies.