Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sealing cable enrty points….frame full of water?!!!
  • pipiom
    Free Member

I’m continually getting loads of water filling up the lower part of the frame when,washing/riding the Carbine.

The culprit appears to be the hole where the dropper cable enters the downtube just above the BB.

Any neat ideas for sealing around the cable at this point?

lerk
    Free Member

Accept that water will get in and drill a drain hole in the bb shell instead…

wwaswas

clear silicone sealant.

Most of my frames seem to fill up with water getting in around the seatpost over time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Better to let it out rather than try and keep it out

Kahurangi

Better to let it out rather than try and keep it out

Absolutely. What do you think are you chances of getting the frame completely dry inside, then sealing it up. Sealing up so effectively that it remains sealed and dry after hosings, river crossings, charging through puddles and the off jet-wash? Zero? correct. Best have a drain hole.

Funnily enough, my Californian-designed frame doesn’t have a drain hole in from the factory, either 🙄

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok, so this “drill a drain hole” scared the shizzle out of me…..

What size; exactly where; and warranty issues??????

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hides in corner, with telephone directory over head, waiting for MTFU bombardment.

amedias
    Free Member

Bottom of the BB, ie: underneath so the water can fall out*, 4-5mm should do it, and yes it will probably technically void your warranty.

*Not 100% clear from your OP if you mean water is settling in the BB area, or in the bottom of the downtube. have a look in there, if water in the downtube can freely flow to the bottom of the BB then you’re OK with the above, but if there are any steps/lips etc that would prevent the water getting to the bottom of the BB shell then you may have to get creative.

If it was my frame I’d do it, but I’m not going to recommend someone to void their warranty and drill holes in a frame if you’re not comforatble doing it. Silicone sealant, rubber gaskets and regular inspection and maintenance are your other option.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Or just store the bike hung up somewhere. I get a fair bit of water draining out of my seat tube when i hang my bike up on the wall.

BoardinBob

Sugru

chakaping
    Free Member

Carbine is a carbon frame yeah?

I’d just remove seatpost and store upside down every other ride.

Used to do that with Zestys.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

When I emailed Pivot about the same, they said i could drill a hole in the BB shell, about the size of a spoke…

yet to muster the courage to do that, storing the bike upside down instead…..

ndthornton
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drill a hole
    After cleaning pick the bike up and turn it completely on all axis
    Wherever the water got in.. it will soon come out

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sealing cable enrty points….frame full of water?!!!’ is closed to new replies.