• This topic has 60 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Sealant: Stans 'Normal' Vs 'Race' Vs Orange Vs Peaty Vs What else?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Hi, slight hijack (but kind of related)…

The syringes are expensive at a tenner, is there a cheaper alternative/seller?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I thought it was more like 60ml? But yes, same as any other sealant

Depends on tyre size. Pretty sure 60ml is recommended for 2/2.1ish, maybe 100m for 2.4 tyres.

Latex works because the latex molecules coagulate in high shear situations (i.e. being accelerated through a small hole). Unless there’s a synthetic material with the same properties I can’t see why you’d want to move away from it (niche for bikers allergic to latex?).

Latex also has the benefit of being biodegradable – i don’t feel bad about spilling it.

Has anyone used the Conti sealant?

I’ve got a bottle. Not sure if I’ve used it by itself or to top up tyres that already have Stans in. Conti definitely has no particles of any kind in it.

This thread is pretty hopeless so far.

OKO is brilliant
    Nutrak is OKO
    Nutrak is crap

I feel however with air leaks there are too many variables to categorically state one sealant is the best

is the problem. Different holes, different weather conditions, different riding.

I like the sound of the OKO – it’s a third of the price of Stans undiluted. Is water the best thing to use with it? How about diluting with more (cheap) liquid latex?

Presumably undiluted liquid latex is much of a much muchness. You can get 5L of model making latex for £25 plus postage

thepodge
    Free Member

patriotpro – Hi, slight hijack (but kind of related)…

eBay syringes and pick a size, I use 20ml ones as they fit inside a valve core

bruneep

Where are we getting OKO from?

Tracey

I bought the syringe but dont use it. If im topping up I have an old Stans 2oz bottle and top up through the valve stem. Its also handy for sucking out the used stuff to reuse. If im fitting and filling up when the bead is off then I use an old washing detergent ball that has measures on the side. Both work fine at a cost of nothing.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Where are we getting OKO from?

eBay. £8.99 delivered from a few places – even cheaper than mould making latex (I’ve bought a litre of that as well).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So. Glitter as an additive. Any recommendations?

Fine, superfine, chunky? seem to be different sorts on eBay.

kent
    Free Member

I make my own for £3 per litre I add in extra grit shall we call it than stans. I could probably get ii down if I purchased the raw ingredients in bulk. As for performance it works well, I’m testing its longevity with slightly increasing the ammonia content but the standard mix will last a good 4 months in summer conditions and as it’s cheap I can regularly top it up…

teethgrinder

OKO from Mole Country Stores/Farmway.

I got mine at Farmway in Hexham.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

re I add in extra grit shall we call it than stans. I could probably get ii down if I purchased the raw ingredients in bulk. As for performance it works well, I’m testing its longevity with slightly increasing the ammonia content but the standard m

so what are the ingredients/recipe?

kent
    Free Member

so what are the ingredients/recipe?

That is commercially sensitive information 8).

allthepies
    Free Member

I bought a litre of liquid latex and diluted it down 4:1:1 with water + screenwash. It’s a little too runny at that concentration and took a while to seal a puncture I had a couple of weeks back.

When I’m done with that litre I’ll but some of the OKO stuff or this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puncture-Free-Off-Road-Tyre-Sealant-For-Ride-On-Mowers-1-Litre-1000-ML/141447420159

VanHalen

surely water based dilution means it wont seal/dry in the wet?

I find thatwith stans/caffelatex tyres weep more after a wet weekend riding. (spec control sidewalls)

duckers
    Free Member

How often does the oko stuff need topping up? The oko site says it lasts the lifetime of the tyre.
    Is it this one?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-TYRE-SEALANT-ANTI-PUNCTURE-OFF-ROAD-1250ML-STOP-PUNCTURES-/182124416574

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I looked into OKO a bit more.

Nutrak is indeed some form of OKO but they seem to have a range of products I’ve never seen in the UK –
    http://www.oko.com/markets/bicycles/
    “Puncture Free” (not latex based, blue, viscous)
    “Extreme” (a dead link) and
    “Magic Milk” (synthetic latex based, light, free flowing)

Would be interesting to get a proper comparison. Some of the ‘extreme mining’ types claim to seal up to 10mm holes so i’m guessing some very large particles.

Original: perfect for commuters as well as everyday cyclists.
    X-Treme: more robust for heavy duty bikes and better suited to mountain biking.
    Magic Milk: for those looking to run a tubeless set-up and is ideal for racing.

Nothing really explains the advantages/disadvantages of each.

patriotpro
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    patriotpro – Hi, slight hijack (but kind of related)…

eBay syringes and pick a size, I use 20ml ones as they fit inside a valve core

It’s to load thru’ the valve core, cheers

jamesoz

I’ve ordered some oko sealant and smells the same and has the same consistency as the decathlon stuff, which is crap. It coats the inside of the tyre brilliantly but leaves nothing for punctures, I suspect it’s more for fixing a holed tyre after the event, I’ll try it watered down though. I have a worn out tyre I can do some puncture tests on when I get bored.

Not a waste as the wheel barrow has a flat.

molgrips
    Free Member

surely water based dilution means it wont seal/dry in the wet?

No. Latex doesn’t ‘dry out’ like water based paint. Ever wonder why, if latex starts off as a water based fluid, that rubber things don’t dissolve in water?

Latex is a suspension of long protein molecules in water. If you remove the water, the protein is left behind. But also, if you rub it or put shear force it through a small gap the protein molecules get tangled up like felt, and it becomes a solid. They cannot be untangled. That’s why it sloshes around in tyres happily for ages but when it’s forced through a small gap it turns into a solid plug.

walleater

Conti definitely has no particles of any kind in it.

Did you not shake the bottle?! They are probably all stuck at the bottom. You have to shake the hell out of the bottle, and turn the bottle upside down to check that the bottom doesn’t have everything stuck to it before using it for the first time.
    We use the Conti stuff at work because it’s a lot cheaper than Stans and it works fine (if you shake the bottle).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Conti definitely has no particles of any kind in it.>>>
    Did you not shake the bottle?! They are probably all stuck at the bottom.

Yes, you do get some settling – there is *something* that goes back into suspension when you shake it but I’m pretty sure even model making latex needs shaking?. Stans has some much larger visible particles that fall out of suspension really quickly.

oko sealant and smells the same and has the same consistency as the decathlon stuff, which is crap

OKO seem big – i’m sure it’s rebranded as other stuff.

Latex based sealants seem to be expensive – dq-services.co.uk sell the OKO ‘extreme’ mtb sealant at £15 a litre. The ‘off road’ tractor tyre stuff is £5 a litre (I really wonder the difference beteween those two) but OKO branded latex based Magic Milk is still £28 a litre.

hooli

Normal Stans here, seems to work well enough and means I can keep adding to my interesting collection of Stanimals on the garage windowsill.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Sealant: Stans 'Normal' Vs 'Race' Vs Orange Vs Peaty Vs What else?’ is closed to new replies.