• This topic has 60 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Sealant: Stans 'Normal' Vs 'Race' Vs Orange Vs Peaty Vs What else?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Looking for some new tubeless sealant and there seems to be 2 schools of thought on it, ether:
    a) It all does the job and it doesn’t really matter which you use or
    b) They are all vastly different and brand x is much superior than y….

So far I have only ever used Stans’ Normal’ milky sealant and its been fine. however I note they have a ‘race’ version with crystals in which is supposedly better and more expensive. I also see the ad banner across the top of this forum for the orange sealant and have seen some talk about Peaty’s sealant with glitter in. I’m sure there are stacks of others too so would be good to hear what you use and why!?!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve used Stans, it’s fine.
    For no particular reason, other than to try something different, currently using Juice Lubes stuff. It smells nicer.
    Also Mavic in road wheels, cos it came with the wheels.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I tried the race, never noticed it being any better, went back to stan-dard stuff.

andybrad

moved from stans to orange. Its more expensive but has sealed holes that stans wouldnt have.

although i do run a LOT of sealant it seems.

its got bits in like peatys.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Started on Stans “normal”
    Tried Juice Lubes – never sealed anything
    Tried the cheap stuff from mole valley – again, useless.
    Back on Stans again unless someone makes a big case for anything else.
    Friends tried to convince me to try cafe latex, then promptly got a flat. No thanks.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Long time Stans user – recently switched to Orange, which seems on a par. Then tried going cheap with the blue stuff from PX, which is so thick that it seems unable to reach the punctures in time – so watered it down 50/50 with Orange and seems ok since.

If I could find a bulk Stans supply at a cheap enough price id happily switch back.
    Although, recently acquired liquid latex may shortly meet with glitter in home-brew-experiment.

benpinnick

Joes, very much like Stans but seals better, quite alot better I am finding. Haven’t tried their expensive stuff (that’s like Stans Race). Supposed to be twice as good but the regular stuff works so well I don’t know why I would. Its also much cheaper.

slimjim78
    Free Member

ooh, i’ll give that a go.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stans IME just works, and works well.

NRG (Planet-X) was OK actually, might have dried out a bit quick but was dirt cheap ina sale so had no complaints.

Joes was a PITA as the granules wouldn’t stay in suspension long enough to pour into the tyre.

Currently using the OKO tractor stuff someone off here recommended diluted 2:1 (water:OKO), which makes it about 10%* of the cost of stans. Seems to be working so far (sealed the tyres fine, and one known saled puncture which was the reason for taking the tyre off to top up). Certainly looks like it needs diluting, it’s the consistency of thick cream!

Tractors tuff, £9/litre.

*Maths fans:

Stans is £13.99 per 473ml at wiggle, or 2.95p/ml
    OKO diluted to 33% is £9 for 3.75l, or 0.24p/ml

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Looks like ‘normal’ stans doing it for most folk but the tractor stuff has got me interested….

Anyone tried Peaty’s sealant yet?

howarthp

Does anyone know a bulk supplier of either Stans or Orange? (And by bulk I mean in bigger volumes you can normally find)

dannyh
    Free Member

No real experience to speak of as I’ve only just made the conversion to tubeless, but a total bodger like me managed to get most tyres to seat and seal very easily with Stans ‘normal’.

I say most because not even Stans can cope with a 2cm gash in a tyre.

chevychase

Stans. Not had a puncture in five years. But then good tyres too.

Stans race is supposed to be better but needs topping up more according to the lads at 18 bikes…

ratherbeintobago

Has anyone used the Conti sealant?

dufusdip
    Free Member

The nutrack stuff isn’t bad although the downhill version seems too thick and I’ve watered it down with some of of the milk version. But the price has been creeping up so currently on Joe no flats which hasn’t had any issues to date. That statement will, of course, completely jinx that!

Kuco

Just been for a week in Spain and running Effetto Caffelatex and never suffered a single puncture despite a lot of thorns.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

NuTrack stuff i think is OKO

surfingobo
    Free Member

Stans race for me. Sealed non tubeless contis that had been weeping heavily and losing air for weeks. More expensive but I won’t be going back

milky1980
    Free Member

Been using the Continued sealant for 3 years, never had a puncture fail to seal. Keeps longer than Stan’s too.

patagonian
    Free Member

OKO claim it never dries out and has a very long life and I think I’ve read somewhere they don’t use ammonia.

teethgrinder

OKO here. 1:1 dilution. Dirty cheap!

bramblesummer
    Free Member

stans race here. It might be good luck, but I’ve not had a puncture since it went in many months ago. As for it needing topping up, then I’ve not noticed it drying out any quicker than normal stans, and that lasts over 6 months itself.

We have orange in one of the wheel sets as we needed some in a hurry following a tyre swap (huge slash in the sidewall, not sealant would have saved it) and can’t say I’ve noticed any difference to the normal stans.

andy4d

Thread high jack.

Any one better at stopping the sidewall weeping. Using stans in nobby nics pacestar and they are quite weepy, but oddly don’t seem to loose much pressure.

DezB
    Free Member

Hutchinson’s not had a mention yet – that stuff is good also.
    Best I used was Geax, ages ago, but it seemed to disappear from the shops. Had little black bits in it and sealed anything.
    I guess if you’re using crap tyres (ie. non tubeless) then you need to get the best stuff cos you’ll no doubt get more punctures.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I bought some Bontrager sealant today as it was all the shop used. So time will tell. The guy in the shop recons that Wyhite or Trek (Cant remember) are bringing some non Latex fluid out thats better and cheaper.

paladin

teethgrinder – Member
    OKO here. 1:1 dilution. Dirty cheap

oops.
    i didnt dilute mine.
    thought it was a bit gloopy….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

So, based on this thread, just bought some OKO. Will give it a try.

Stans has been OK for me but leaks a little to much through Schwalbe SG sidewalls so needs constant top-ups.
    Caffe Latex has been OK-ish, no better, maybe a little more prone to drying out prematurely IME.

honourablegeorge

dufusdip – Member
    The nutrack stuff isn’t bad

The Nutrak stuff IS bad – it’s worse than useless. I tried it, had a flat, just a small hole, and sealant poured out of the hole, refused to seal. Thought maybe the fluid had dried p and there wasnt enough of it to seal, so I went home, topped up with Nutrak, tried again, all out the hole again.

Put a tiny splash of Stan’s in, hole sealed straight away.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

oops.
    i didnt dilute mine.
    thought it was a bit gloopy….

I don’t know if it’s supposed to be diluted or not, it might be the same concentration of latex in water as others, just with a thickener, but others had so I did too. I’ve not had any problems with it.

Is suppose the gloopier formula might be an aid in slow moving tractor tyres, keeping it stuck to the sidewalls. If it ever punctures or dries out I might experiment with a less or no water as it’s still incredibly cheap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought some Bontrager sealant today as it was all the shop used. So time will tell. The guy in the shop recons that Wyhite or Trek (Cant remember) are bringing some non Latex fluid out thats better and cheaper.

Bontrager stuff is dreadful. And how does the shop monkey know it’s better if it’s not out yet?. Amazes me how highly held bike shop staffs views are.

Yak

I usually use stans. I do have some stans race though from when it was on sale at the same prices as regular stans. It was noticeably quicker at sealing up a difficult tyre and stopped the sidewall leakage I usually get with that tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The guy in the shop recons that Wyhite or Trek (Cant remember) are bringing some non Latex fluid out that’s better and cheaper.

Latex works because the latex molecules coagulate in high shear situations (i.e. being accelerated through a small hole). Unless there’s a synthetic material with the same properties I can’t see why you’d want to move away from it (niche for bikers allergic to latex?).

TiRed

Any one better at stopping the sidewall weeping.

Paint it on the inside and leave to dry before mounting the tyre?

Switched from Stans to Orange. Mainly for road, as the Stans is still holding up on the mtb and cross. But I won’t be going back. It seems to seal faster when mounting. And is sparkly of course 8)

retro83
    Free Member

How much of the OKO stuff do you use per tyre once diluted? Same as stans (100ml or so an end)?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How much of the OKO stuff do you use per tyre once diluted? Same as stans (100ml or so an end)?

I thought it was more like 60ml? But yes, same as any other sealant.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use JRA Wheel Milk – its cheap and does a good job but it does dry out after a while.

I had issues with Stans not sealing when I did puncture so don’t bother with it any more.

Might give some of that OKO sealant a whirl.

retro83
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    I thought it was more like 60ml? But yes, same as any other sealant.

Thanks, you’re right – 60-90ml. Dunno why I had 100ml in my head.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Apparently Peatys is selling as fast as they can make it. Not sure whether that’s because it’s ace or the link with Peaty….

thepodge
    Free Member

Depends how fast they are making it, I’ve seen lots of previews but no reviews of it yet so can only assume its selling on association.

I bought some Schwalbe stuff, not used it yet, but noticed its made by Stans

noltae
    Free Member

I swapped to Orange and then back to Stans – which in the case of my slow leaking Racing Ralph has proven better – It’s stayed up for a week – I feel however with air leaks there are too many variables to categorically state one sealant is the best . . I need to start home brewing !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Sealant: Stans 'Normal' Vs 'Race' Vs Orange Vs Peaty Vs What else?’ is closed to new replies.