Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sealant in UST rims?
  • thorpie
    Free Member

Picked up a new bike today, it has Sram Roam 40 UST rims, I have some Hans Dampf tyres to put on to go tubeless but do I need sealant in them? What’s the general concensus, sealant in UST rims or not?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s the tyre that matters – UST tyre it’s not essential, but makes sense. Non-UST definitely.

chip
    Free Member

Would it be best to put some in anyway to seal punctures.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I ran Ust tyres on ust rims for about a year without any sealant without any problems. I had a string of punctures when the local hedges along the canal were trimmed and started using seslant. Haven’t had a puncture since.
    Hans dampf are not ust so you will need sealant.

jimjam
    Free Member

Put some sealant in. It’s silly not to.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I’m on UST on both counts and put two scoops of Stans as directed on bottle. Thorns etc, just pull out and spin wheel and good to roll again. Really is an insignificant weight gain. Also small leaks in the valve seal, tyre seal, tape etc etc are less with sealant in.

thorpie
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve got some Stans sealant, how much sealant for a 650b rim? HD 2.35 snakeskin trail star tyres.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Two 50ml scoops for a 26″ 2.35 Bontrager XR4, i’d say about the same for 650b

mildred

I’m on UST on both counts and put two scoops of Stans as directed on bottle. Thorns etc, just pull out and spin wheel and good to roll again. Really is an insignificant weight gain. Also small leaks in the valve seal, tyre seal, tape etc etc are less with sealant in.

+1 from me but also wondering why you bother pulling thorns out? I leave them in and the tyre seals perfectly.

Nobby

+1 from me but also wondering why you bother pulling thorns out? I leave them in and the tyre seals perfectly.

Indeed. I like to count the number of thorns etc lodged in my tyres when I change them – it lets me know how many tubes I’d have replaced/repaired if I weren’t tubeless. 🙂

cruzcampo
    Free Member

The ocd in me wants them out lol. Ive been getting thorns recently still attached to a small bit of branch, leaves a little wooden tag on the tyre, they make me really angry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sealant in UST rims?’ is closed to new replies.