Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Sealant – any better alternatives to Stan's?
  • honourablegeorge

Not been getting punctures, but Stan’s seems to dry out a lot faster than it used to.

Anything better on the market? Juice lubes do one now I , anyone tried it?

teasel
    Free Member

I read a review last week about some stuff called Oko Magic Milk.

Haven’t used it.

Edit : Review…

http://www.tyre-sealants.nl/blogs/171-oko-magic-milk-versus-stan-s-no-tubes

FOG

Don’t know what its like but Decathlon have started selling their own for £5 for 250ml which certainly undercuts Stans

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ontor
    Free Member

Mole valley farmers sells some for tractors that’s ace…

zippykona

I never had Stan’s seal a solitary pin prick. Useless.
    Bontrager Juice is bloody magic. Whether it’s because I use Bontrager tyres I don’t know.

kilo

I’ve used the oko green stuff. It took a long time to seal on cx tyres, it seemed to be so thick as to stop the tyres seating, however after a few days it was fine and I’ve not had any incidents sinces and it filled a few holes in the tyres sidewall well. It seemed to go in a lot better on a mtb ust tyre the other day. I gave it a go as they say it lats the life of the tyre and i wanted it for a bike that will be used occasionaly

jono84
    Free Member

Have you looked into the diy/home brew options? Seems others complaining seem to mix and match with various other products to end up with some ‘super sealent’ seems to be a mix of stans/slime an antifreeze with rubber fileings not tried it myself but im planning to on my next set of cx tyres

ThePinkster

Mole valley farmers sells some for tractors that’s ace…

Just had a look – the Oko Off Road Tyre Sealant? Looks pretty good value for money if you’ve got a few tyres that need doing, even taking postage into account.

Oko Tyre Sealant

zippykona

I only found the nail as I could hear what I thought was a sealant ball and decided to remove it.

WTF
    Free Member

Used this stuff…..
    http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-milk.html
    No idea if its better but its an alternative.

trout
    Free Member

Home made stuff in action
    carpet latex ( copydex )
    water
    Glycol antifreeze

all in equal quantities

lerk
    Free Member

I use the oko tractor stuff watered down with latex liquid additive for cement…

Btw… I got four bottles of oko for £8 each the other day as it is on offer!

Suggsey
    Free Member

SlimePro for me, it’s CO2 friendly and I’ve had it still active/fluid for about two years…….normal latex type stuff just goes off too fast…..plus if I ever burp a tyre big time, I like to be lazy and use a CO2 to make sure it’s sealed tight again fast.

asbrooks

Homebrew for me too!

Slime (car tyre stuff), liquid latex & concentrated screen wash. Again equal parts.
    Stay away from antifreeze, it’s toxic. Unless you use rv antifreeze, which is water potable.

No issues in 6 months of use.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like to use modellers latex with a dash of water. Yes it dries out but the latex coating on the inside of the tyre seems to keep on working.

Have tried a couple of branded gooes and been mighty unimpressed with all of them. Overpriced and not very good. All as emergency purchases when putting a new tyre to a wheel when away from home.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Never had an issue with stans drying out. How often do you replace it and are you putting enough in for your tyre size?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

darrenspink + 1.

The bontrager stuff was the single worst bike purchase I’ve ever had the misfortune of. They must have changed it.

tomnavman
    Free Member

The juicelubes stuff is terrible, I thought it was the tyres I was using but it just wouldn’t seal anything. I took off my winter tyres which were full of it and left them out thinking it would go off and be easier to clean up, but it took a few weeks to dry! Stans goes off in a couple of hours… No wonder it wouldn’t seal anything!

Going to give that mole valley stuff a go, 1/2 the price and nearly twice as much!

cardo

This year I have been mostly using Joes.

iamtheresurrection

I’ve only ever had success with Stans. Tempted to try Caffelatex, only heard good things.

StuE
    Free Member
    hamishthecat

I’ve tried the OKO stuff from Mole Valley and don’t rate it. It might work for actual punctures (although I have no evidence of that) but it’s rubbish for sealing the tyre when it mounts on the rim.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ve been using STANS for at least 4 years and never had a single problem, seals nail holes and the blackthorns round here make riding with a tube in lengthy, expensive and tedious. That said the last bottle I bought will not seal the tyre on the rim AND the tyre has blown clean off the rim twice? The first time was on the ARD ROCK The other week, made a hell of bang, second time “Yesterday” monitoring it as I was pootling along I felt the back end jack up as the tyre went rock hard, i got off and felt the tyre and it was warm? As I was stood there admiring the week old Latex stuck all over the frame it decided to blow itself clean off the rim again.

Not impressed BUT I did buy it cheap or at a reduced rate so I maybe should look see if there is a use by date on it?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Slime for me. 16 months and only had to top up tyre pressures once.

milky1980
    Free Member

Another vote for Conti’s sealant. No latex balls since I started using it and no failed seals, lasts a long time between top-ups too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

good thread. didnt realise there were so many options.

i like to change tyres quite often so longevity isnt the problem for me. ive never had any problem with Stans apart from the cost and running out at the most effing inconvenient times… but then thats all ive ever used!

dickie
    Free Member

I finished a bottle of Stans lastnight. I cut the bottle open & there was a huge rubber ball in the bottle – looking for an alternative too now.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The should see the size of them that build up in a fat tyre 🙂

nixie

How often do you replace it and are you putting enough in for your tyre size?

That is part of the point though, it shouldn’t need to be replaced all the time.

grum
    Free Member

I found the Bontrager stuff awful too. Will see how much is left and if it’s a worthwhile amount someone can have it.

nach
    Free Member

dickie – Member
    I finished a bottle of Stans lastnight. I cut the bottle open & there was a huge rubber ball in the bottle – looking for an alternative too now.

I’ve had small bottles of Doc Blue arrive with those in as well. It’s made by Stan’s.

nemesis
    Free Member

Give your sealant bottle a good shake once a week and it won’t go ball-y.

Stoner
    Free Member

I don’t top up my modellers latex for 18 months +

Tyres might need a touch of air before each ride and of course the latex will have dried but it never goes crispy and seems to prevent ride-stopping punctures

Never balls up either

nemesis
    Free Member

Do you add anything else to it like glitter?

Northwind

Wheel Milk was useless for me, really thin. Sealed tyres well, didn’t seem to do anything for punctures though.

Drying out seems to be mostly to do with the tyres tbh, stans from the same bottle can last ages in some tyres but not others. Like the fluid leaches out or evaporates off or something.

Stoner
    Free Member

Nope. ( @nemesis)

I’ve never torn a sidewall so no idea if it would survive or even if any anchovies could work. But for my riding it’s so I don’t have to worry about pinch flats or thorns and for that it’s been faultless in ralphs,rons,and more recently those wtb trailblazer thingies.

squoglybob
    Free Member

@nemesis

I think glitter only works at Xmas?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Used to use Stans, thought it was ok but had to use loads of it.
    Been using Squirt sealant for a year or so and it’s sealed some pretty big holes.

http://www.squirtlube.com/products/seal.html

nemesis
    Free Member

And even then, only if it’s red/green…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Sealant – any better alternatives to Stan's?’ is closed to new replies.