Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • "Seal Swell" in suspension fluids, silkolene?
  • hugh_b
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

Ordered some Silkolene motorcycle fork fluid 5wt & 15wt for my Rockshox forks but whilst searching came across a few people mentioning some motorcycle fork oils contain seal swell which increases friction!

Does anyone know if Silkolene contains this?

Hugh

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s a load of codswallop.

Motorcycle suspension fluid is all I’ve ever used. IIRC my last lot was Silkolene. It’s all fine.

uplink
    Free Member

Although I’d always say make sure it doesn’t have anything like that on the bottle, I don’t think I’ve actually seen any since the 70s

PJ1 or Yamalube for all my bikes motor or otherwise

spooky_b329

Have a friend who was using motorbike fork oil in his Revelations, he spent ages stripping them and changing seals etc before realising the stiction and stiffness was caused by the oil. Don’t know what brand it was.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I replaced the oil bath in my revs with float fluid it was too thick and the forks turned rigid

Replaced with the correct fork oil ( motorcycle) job done back to bouncyness

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I hve never had an issue using motorcycle lube. I have #recently got some silicone spray and that has reduced friction tho so I am a convert to that.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve used Silkolene before with no problems.
    Ian

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Currently using Rock Oil SVI stuff in my Rebas. No problems.

In fact, I stripped them down not long after I bought them, and they performed better with the new oil.

Isn’t ‘bicycle suspension fluid’ just motorbike stuff in a more expensive bottle?

retro83
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I hve never had an issue using motorcycle lube. I have #recently got some silicone spray and that has reduced friction tho so I am a convert to that.

This shouldn’t be the case though. I’ve got several pairs of RS forks of various ages, none have any noticeable stiction. Spraying silicone lube or the super expensive stanchion lube from Finish Line make absolutely no difference on my forks.

I’d be checking that the seals or foams aren’t worn or damaged.

PeterPoddy – Member
    It’s a load of codswallop.

So you’re saying that all (or at least the majority of) motorcycle susp oil does not contain seal swelling stuff anymore?
    I’ve used Silkolene Pro RSF before and it seemed very good indeed.

hugh_b
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I always used motorex before which worked great but got a good price on some silkolene so thought i’d try that!

tron
    Free Member

I used Silkolene in a set of bombers, and it did cause stiction.

Stripped everything and went over to Rock oil, and it was fine.

The issue is also mentioned in Peter Verdone’s articles on suspension oil – specifically with Marzocchis.

On the other hand I’ve read that Fox oil is rebranded Silkolene.

I’d be tempted to try it if you already have the oil – I didn’t have to swap seals to sort the forks, just the oil.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Retro – I was suprised. You always get some stiction with forks and the silicone reduced it. Reasonably new forks somaybe tight seals, serviced by me and in perfect condition

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So you’re saying that all (or at least the majority of) motorcycle susp oil does not contain seal swelling stuff anymore?
    I’ve used Silkolene Pro RSF before and it seemed very good indeed.

I have no idea weather it does or not. All I know is that it works perfectly in the dozen or so forks I’ve filled with the stuff.

🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been using Halfords own brand motorcycle oil and it’s been fine for me!

retro83
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Retro – I was suprised. You always get some stiction with forks and the silicone reduced it. Reasonably new forks somaybe tight seals, serviced by me and in perfect condition

Ah fair enough, I meant ones what were fully worn in. As you say, on new forks it can make a massive difference.

PeterPoddy – Member
    I have no idea weather it does or not. All I know is that it works perfectly in the dozen or so forks I’ve filled with the stuff.

Gotcha.
    I’ve had bad luck using motorcycle oil in open bath RST forks a few years ago (immediately got massive stiction and became useless). As I say though since then I have used Silkolene RSF with good results. Massively cheaper too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What the equivalent to Fox Suspension Fluid 7wt in Silkolene RSF then?
    Cheap place to buy would be handy too!

retro83
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    What the equivalent to Fox Suspension Fluid 7wt in Silkolene RSF then?
    Cheap place to buy would be handy too!

You can’t just compare the wt unfortunately. Fox standard oil viscosity appears to be 9.57. Silkolene RSF 5wt = 9.5 so pretty much bang on.
    This site has a list of viscocities:
    http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/files/suspension%20oils.pdf

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘"Seal Swell" in suspension fluids, silkolene?’ is closed to new replies.