Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • seagate nas thing – help needed to backup laptop hard drive/ docs/ pics
  • burko73

Hi after a near miss with my laptop not booting up i thought it about time i got some serious backup memory.

Bought a 3tb seagate nas thing which is attached to my router. Apparently it’ll back up my pc, iphones, ipad etc and can be used as a media stream for sonos, streaming/ viewing pics over the tinternet from my devices.

Anyone know how/ which programmes i need to use to sort it? seems to take ages to write stuff and there are now s drives, z drives y drives all over the place….

richmars

Doesn’t it come with some software. Most do.

leffeboy

I think what you are meant to do is use Windows File History to backup your pc to it and then you use HyperBackup on the NAS to keep snapshots of what you have backed up on the device

For photos I think they want you to use their apps to store the photos directly from your phones/idevices on the NAS and then HyperBackup keeps snapshots again

For Macs the NAS supports TimeMachine backups

Remember that if you end up with your photos only on the NAS then you either need an external USB drive to back your NAS up to or sign up to something like Amazon Glacier and let it backup itself online which is the easy way

seems to take ages to write stuff

Depends a bit on which one you have. Also if you have just dumped a lot of photos/videos on it then it can be a bit busy indexing those.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I use DirsyncPro – a java based program that allows you to backup/sync. Excellent and free.

dirsyncpro.org

Rich.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘seagate nas thing – help needed to backup laptop hard drive/ docs/ pics’ is closed to new replies.