Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Seagate hard drive USB mounting
  • paul4stones

Finally got round to decommissioning some old PCs. One slinky hard drive is working well as an external with a £3 mount from amazon but I’m struggling to find a useful mount for a couple of seagate HDs. It’s IDE and quite bulky but 40G so probably worth using. Any recommendations ?

Cheers

johnners
    Free Member

I’m all for reusing stuff but I’m assuming if it’s come from a PC it’s 3.5″, so pretty old if its ide and that small. By the time you’ve faffed about with cables, enclosures and power supplies all you’ll have is an inconvenient external drive of uncertain reliability and trivial storage capacity.

When ebuyer are doing a 32Gb USB stick for £9.99 I’d recommend you just chuck the old thing.

paul4stones

Fair enough. Is ‘just chucking’ secure enough?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

DBAN.

cp

I smash them up with a hammer. Not that there’s much exciting on them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above in my view 40GB isnt worth keeping or spending the money on an external enclosure/caddy.

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s still accessible without much effort, what Cougar said. Otherwise what cp said will be fine.

If it was me I’d have wiped it before decommissioning the PC, then bashed it with a hammer, but I like to be thorough.

paul4stones

Yes, it was wiped first so I guess I’ll just bash it.

Cheers all.

hot_fiat

5 seconds in an e-class microwave will render it dead. Then take it apart with a multi tool, use the platters as coasters and the magnets as the best toy ever: like everyone else in IT does.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

When you can 64gb usb sticks for 30-40 quid a 40gb hard drive seems like bin-fodder to me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Seagate hard drive USB mounting’ is closed to new replies.