Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sea temperatures
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I went to Amroth in Pembrokeshire the other week and the water was astonishingly warm for the UK, despite the weather having been cool and a bit dull. Is this something to do with it being hot further south?

Is it still warm generally? Considering my BH weekend options.

Mintman
    Free Member

If memory serves me correctly the sea temp lags the ambient air temp so you should still have a period of time where sea temp is set to scorchio.

peterfile
    Free Member

Magic Seaweed is your friend 🙂

I think sea temp warms all summer, so as noted above, there it a period where is peaks, even though the air temp is beginning to drop. Which would explain why I was dropping into 12 degree water on Skye, even though the air temp was 10 degrees 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

raw sewages being warmer than sea water was the main reason 😉

jam-bo

sea temperatures respond pretty slowly. it’ll stay warm for a while yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe how warm it was – no oohing and ahing for 5 minutes before dunking my balls.

Rickos
    Free Member

Warmest around September/October as it’s had all summer to warm up, plus there’s the Gulf Stream effect on that side of the UK. Usually a few degrees warmer than the North Sea at any given time.

http://magicseaweed.com/Newgale-Surf-Report/35/

15 degrees in Newgale.

footflaps

Sea temp lags sunshine hours by approx 2 months hence Feb is coldest month (even though shortest day is in Dec) and Aug is warmest month (longest sun hours in late June).

Houns

Amount of jellyfish spotted is a good telling sign

catfood
    Free Member

Yep there were lots in Pembrokeshire a couple of weeks back, my son got stung by one, tears aplenty.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup jelly fish watch is a good sign. Apparently a fair few on the cornish coast where we’re heading next week 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

We reckon at the Club that its about 2C warmer this year, but we have warm waters right into Dec, certainly +10C around that time.

Sarf Carst don’t forget, other temps are available 😉

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Sea temperature on the surface/shallows on the east coast of scotland and in Northumbria was about 12 degrees a couple of weeks ago on a recent diving trip. There was also loads of jellyfish, thankfully i avoided them!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Where is the gulfstream running? My brother used to surf a lot and favoured the west coast of Scotland not only because of the quality of the surf, but also the warmer waters due to the gulfstream. The gulfstream could be running further south this year, as is the jet stream, which would also explain the jelly fish.

Hells

Temp looks pretty much the same around the south!
    http://www.oceanweather.com/data/NorthSea/sst.html

rogerthecat
    Free Member

East coast (Lincs) seemed very warm 2 weeks go, lots of sun, shallow sea over a lot of sand – lush, even if a bit brown!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Very slightly radioactive.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the irish sea benefits from gulf stream warming, its at its warmest in northwales sept/oct at about 16 degrees– local hot spots can be much warmer– as has been noted, the air temp when you get out can vary greatly!

ransos
    Free Member

Having tried to swim off Harris on a warm June day, I can confirm that the temperature lag thing is true – it was effing freezing in there!

cloudnine
    Free Member

You could’ve called round for a coffee / whisky /jerky or other stw niche aperitif

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.. STWers popping in for niche drinks:

cloudnine: Hi molgrips, come on in, would you like a coffee?
    molgrips: Er yeah, that’d be great. Is it a Gaggia machine?
    c9: Er no, I have a moka pot though.
    mg: Hmm. Are you going to put it on low and let the coffee trickle out?
    c9: Well I wasn’t going to.. it is single origin Javanese from Monmouth coffee though
    mg: Nah, putting it on high is gonna ruin it. What about tea?
    c9: Well there’s some Earl Grey?

c9: Oookay.. well, I have some fine whiskey?
    mg: I bet you don’t

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you hadn’t drunk the coffee I’d have gotten you to run an eye over my patio plans which are in the shape of some bombers.

Edukator
    Free Member

The Atlantic coast in SW France has been warmer than I can ever remember it being this year according my toes.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Sea temps took a while to warm up due to the crap spring – (I was still in a winter suit in late April when it was pretty baltic!)- but I reckon that was balanced by a hot July so are now about average for the time of year around 16-18 degrees. As a few other folk have mentioned, sea temps tend to be at their warmest around August / early September time and at their lowest in early March. Loads of other factors though including river outflow etc. Will also often feel warmer on an incoming afternoon tide due to the warming effect of the beach.

I was in Pembrokeshire myself a couple of weeks back and think I only used a wetsuit for one early morning surf – rest of the time was just using boardies and a 1.5mm neo rash vest.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you hadn’t drunk the coffee I’d have gotten you to run an eye over my patio plans which are in the shape of some bombers.

Oooh.. subtle and complex.. 🙂

I’ll find out about the sea temps anyway, just booked a site near Tenby 🙂 As for wetsuit – don’t even own one 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Here you go Molgrips:

Edric64
    Free Member

Gulf stream keeps ports in Arctic Norway ice free in the winter its a very important flow of warm water for North West Europe

molgrips
    Free Member

First day at Manorbier was remarkably warm; second at Barafundle was less so but still fine to play in all afternoon, likewise Saundersfoot on the third day.

We went to the right of the harbour at Saundersfoot – some great geology and interesting beach but the swimming was awful. Slimy underfoot with some patches of extremely disgusting black mud full of wildlife, and at low tide it stayed about 2ft deep for miles out.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sea temperatures’ is closed to new replies.