Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sea Kayaking Course
  • Joe

Occasional paddler who has never done any sea kayaking before.

Has anyone done a course in Cornwall or on the West Coast of Scotland and thought it was any good?

Regards
    Joe

howarthp

I did a course at Plas Menai a few years ago which was excellent.

The lead coach at http://www.skyakadventures.com/ is supposedly amazing and that’s where I want to go for a more advanced course

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Was just about to suggest Plas Menai even though its North Wales rather than Scotland or Cornwall. If you’re quick they have a sale on some courses at the moment.

plas menai courses

MSP

I did a course in Oban a few years back I think with the Scottish kayaking centre (which I can’t find on google so maybe they no longer exist), really good area fr it, the Islands provide shelter to the coastal waters for a nice steady start. When I was there the gods smiled on us and it was a beautiful sunny week.

The problem with these instruction weeks is that the quality of the group can be a bit hit and miss, on that week there were a couple of people not really up to the job and it held the whole group up.

MSP

actually it was these guys

http://www.nationalkayakschool.com/

Tips
    Free Member

I would be very cautious of using the sea kayaking centre in Oban, I recently had a course booked and due to the CalMac ferry strike I couldn’t make the course on time (I was stuck in the Outer Hebrides).

I let the centre know as soon as I could but they wouldn’t let me cancel or re-book onto another course and so I lost all the money for the course.

To be fair their terms are clear that you lose 100% of your money if you try to cancel within 2 weeks of the course. Given the circumstances and the good will from the hotels and even booking.com in waiving their cancellation terms I had thought that they might at least let me book on another course at another date (even just to make up the numbers) but they wouldn’t consider that and instead suggested that I try to get the money back from CalMac. While not an unreasonable suggestion it seemed to lack any sympathy or flexibility and CalMac were already saying they wouldn’t cover.

Anyway, if you do use them, be aware. 🙂

convert

Tips – I can sort of see their point. They are a very small firm with quite a short season to make most of their money for the year. Whilst it was not your fault you could not make the course it was not theirs either. It’s a tricky one.

Other than that, they do seem to have a good reputation.

Also heard good things about Sea Kayak Plockton

Tips
    Free Member

Convert – I can also see their point, I just expected more flexibility and understanding in the unexpected circumstances I found myself in. In future when I book these types of courses then a small part of my choice of course will be based on their cancellation terms.

MSP

That is what holiday insurance is for.

I think if you look at all the providers of kayaking courses or mountain bike guiding holidays the terms will be the same.

convert

Yes, thinking about it a 50% discount on another place would have been a better compromise, if nothing else to stop you bad mouthing them. I wonder how many cancellation enquiries they had from people that would have been passing through until the strike? Must suck for a small firm like that dependent largely on passing tourist trade reliant on the ferries.

Pyro

Never done a course with them but have paddled with guys from both Sea Kayaking Cornwall (down in Falmouth) and Skyak Adventure (up on Skye, strangely enough) over the years, all very sound people. Either would be a good choice if you’re looking.

Tips
    Free Member

MSP – yes, you’re totally right. But how many people takeout holiday insurance for holidaying at home in the UK? And especially when the insurance will be c£10 for a £85 course..

Convert – that was my thinking and exactly, I’m now on a forum saying to the OP to be wary

OP – sorry to sidetrack your post

Chew
    Free Member

I went with Clearwater Paddling on their Explore the Inner Hebrides a couple of years back (the pictures on the site are from our trip)

Fantastic guiding using the tides to make our way down to Scarba and back from an Oban start. Wildcamping on the beaches, camp fires and timing everything right to paddle through the Grey Dogs

Amazing week

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dfT9dj]Next Stop Panama[/url]

matt_outandabout

Can I suggest the genuine legend that is Ray Goodwin? He of Ray Mears and Ray go paddling in Canada tv programmes, books and blogs on paddling, and a few ‘tasty’ expeditions.

Ray is just superb, and will go where you and the weather dictate. Don’t let the balding, pensionable Welshman who only does canoes routine put you off, he’s just fab…

http://Www.raygoodwin.com

Lionheart
    Free Member

Ray consider a great paddler. If you are down in the South West then worth calling Nick for a chat
    http://www.iskga.com/guides/iskga-guides-uk/nicholas-arding/
    I have his number/ email

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sea Kayaking Course’ is closed to new replies.