Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sea fishing around Edinburgh
  • bazookajoe
    Free Member

No. 2 daughter (aged 4) is desperate to do a spot of fishing, especially sea fishing with the aim of catching something to eat. We’ve just been watching Discovery Shed channel with Paul Young fishing in the US and she’s asking again.

I’ve never done it before, likely spot near us is Granton harbour sea wall where I know people fish from – and i’ve seen some guys with rods and decent bikes leaving there, anyone here? Any starter tips/recommendations, other spots to go, basic equipment? Would a sea fishing starter set from Go Outdoors do for us starting? Are mackerel still about? Any advice welcome, ta.

druidh
    Free Member

When I was (a lot) younger, we used to go out to Port Seton and Cockenzie.

TheFlyingOx

Have a word with the blokes at Mike’s Tackle on Portobello high street. They know the best places to go. Also, I seem to recall getting some decent bass on the rocks near the outlet of Cockenzie power station.

I have a couple of spinning rods that came with reels and cost about £30 each. Does me and the missus fine.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Mouth of the Esk used to be the place for flounder but I never see anyone there when I pass nowadays.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I suspect the Macky will be all but gone, try spinning for Bass in the surf. You don’t need to be in deep water either.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Cheers all, guess we’ll pop to the shop for some basic kit and whap it in the sea and see what transpires. We can always get fish and chips on the way home. She caught a 7 inch plaice on holiday with her bare hands and wants to do it properly now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sea fishing around Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.