Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • SDW Yesterday
  • enveetee
    Free Member

Done that, got the TShirt.

26 pints of water (yes 26!)
    8 Egg and mayonnaise sandwiches
    14 of the wife’s now legendary ‘Energy Muffins’
    1 Broken saddle
    1 Puncture
    4 Jelly babies
    8 Raisins
    1 Unbroken spirit

njee20
    Free Member

Did you do it in 7hrs 14 like Tim Dunford? 🙂

senorj

fair play.
    It’s harder than it looks.

enveetee
    Free Member

7hrs 14. Really!? That’s some effort.

For me, 16hrs flat with 3hrs worth of breaks.

But I am 55 and weigh 18 stone

nuke

Congratulations. Its a hell of a day…fair play to anyone who completes the SDW in a day. 😀

…that is a scary amount of egg and mayonnaise sandwiches though 😯

enveetee
    Free Member

Congratulations. Its a hell of a day…fair play to anyone who completes the SDW in a day.

…that is a scary amount of egg and mayonnaise sandwiches though

Probably accounts for most of the 18 stone!!!

splashdown
    Free Member

Well done, it’s a great day out. 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

It’s a hard day out whoever you may be – well done!

Yes, the quantity of egg mayo sarnies are the disturbing part 😉

singletrackmind

Was messing about at the Winchester end yesterday afto . Certainly was warm , but rolling so fast. Most of the usual wet bits were pretty firm.
    I dont think after 16rs Splashdown would agree its a great day out . Purgatory more like . S’ok if you can spank it in under 12 like Nuke .

Njee . When are you going to have a go ? You know you want to , and the Fuel is perfect for it .Is Tim ‘s 7hr a record for a one way ? If he turned round and done a 10hr back he would be a SDD record holder .

drofluf
    Free Member

Well done!

I bailed out last weekend with 5 miles to go 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve got to do this soon, speshly after that nutter Psychle went and decided it would be a goer after doing the London to Brighton (flat) Wunundred. What a mental.

Singletrackmind (lovely brewing bloke and incredibly handsome Riding God™); are you up for it again? I know Poddy and a couple of others have mentioned wanting to give it a go too.

How can anyone do wunundred off-road miles in seven hours and fourteen minutes??? 😮 He mustuv cheated!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fred, I was planning to do it in september, with an overnight bivvy stop, but if there’s a group attempt I’d be interested in a Southern Shandy Supping Softies September Sarfdarnsway Social Spectacular 🙂

ellsy
    Free Member

Well done enveete! What a great day – the conditions were perfect, no mechanicals and there were friendly people to chat to. I somehow managed to get there in under 11 hours, so I’m very pleased with myself. Can’t imagine how I could ride it any faster though – maybe I need to take some egg mayo sarnies next time….

abatty

Well done mr enveetee, I was chatting to you yesterday around the Milburys pub before having to make a very swift detour into the woods for a quick cr*p. Whilst on reflection I carried too much stuff, the toilet paper was a life-saver! Additional thoughts on yesterday:

– nigh on perfect conditions, cloudy, warm and not much breeze
    – I wouldn’t carry more than 1ltr of water at a time – there’s ample opportunity to fill en route (enveetee might think differently!)
    – my stumpy was seriously lacking gears with a double and bash up front, especially after Devil’s Dyke, equalling too much pushing. I would probably go with a hard-tail on balance
    – the 40-50 mile training rides in previous weeks paid dividends
    – the energy gels were a god-send during the last 3-4 hours. Though egg and mayo sandwiches might have been preferable. But not the consequences on the guts
    – it was a great day out, although I think I could easily better my 15 hours next time. But then again I didn’t enter a race, it was an opportunity for some shared ‘gallows humour’ and the sense of achievement!

Roll-on the next time!

enveetee
    Free Member

abatty – Hey, yeah, I remember you. Well done: Great ride.

I got in 3rd last of a group of 8 or so. When we got to Alfriston, we were told the check point was closing at 19:00 instead of 19:30, we had 15 minutes to spare

From Alfristion to the end we were ‘shadowed’ by one of the volunteers (sweeper) He just kept behind us and we could only see his shadow in the low Sun – creepy. Just kept behind us – reminded us of that Top Gear episode with the VW…

On my return to Brighton, I saw 3 pushing up the road near Cuckmere Haven in the pitch dark. Poor buggers, they were late, lost and knackered. I wonder how they got on – no news of anyone being run over!

Next year they are apparently running just one event, not the three. We’ll see how it goes

Next time…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Southern Shandy Supping Softies September Sarfdarnsway Social Spectacular

Sounds simply stupendously splendid! 😀

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Great day (and night). I managed my Double and got back to Winchester this morning at 7:55am. So a little outside the magic 24hour target, but hey, I realy don’t care as I aint doin it again! Thanks so much to everyone who wished me well on the return leg and great to meet M1kea. Thanks for you positive attitude!
    I had 6 flats by mile 67 which kinda messed with my head and I ended up swapping front and rear tyres. Massive thanks to wifey who hung around dark lay-bys until mile 150. Have very sore knees, not to mention posterior. Made for an uncomfortable trip back to North Wales!

oldnpastit

<envious>

Good stuff Daisy! That should set you up nicely for Kielder!

</envious>

singletrackmind

Only if I can wear my Mp3 player all day

Well done DD . That is an awful lot of punctures. I have done it twice (1 way) and not a puncture .Vert Pro UST + Larsen TT tubes .Do a decent write up later on , love to hear about it.

piha
    Free Member

Well done everyone!!!!

Must have been quite tough with the high temps and sunshine. Sounds like you all had a great day out.

Well done on the double too, that is some feat.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Only if I can wear my Mp3 player all day

That’s bloody rude is that!

Wear yer flippin’ MP3 player then yer grumpy miserable old bugger!

Dez iz right; you’re no fun any more. 🙁

m1kea
    Free Member

Daisy_Duke
    Great day (and night). I managed my Double and got back to Winchester this morning at 7:55am. So a little outside the magic 24hour target, but hey, I realy don’t care as I aint doin it again! Thanks so much to everyone who wished me well on the return leg and great to meet M1kea. Thanks for you positive attitude!
    I had 6 flats by mile 67 which kinda messed with my head and I ended up swapping front and rear tyres. Massive thanks to wifey who hung around dark lay-bys until mile 150. Have very sore knees, not to mention posterior. Made for an uncomfortable trip back to North Wales!

Top Man and well done with plugging on 8)

I did post a quick thread about our meeting here.

Now kind of wish I’d carried on with you a ways further, especially as I’d got my distances wrong and it was 13 miles back home not the 7 or so I said to you 🙄

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

m1kea, Thanks buddy. I’ll do a quick write up on that thread! 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘SDW Yesterday’ is closed to new replies.