• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SDW – places to stay.
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Mrs slowjo has a major birthday coming up and a while ago, expressed an interest in heading off to the SDW area for a weekend. Haviung tucked this one away, I thought it might be a good idea to organise something as a surprise.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay somewhere (anywhere) along its length? I’d like to take her somewhere ‘nice’ but not so ‘nice’ that I need to remortgage my kidney or worse, sell a bike! ;o)

Her interests are gardens and that sort of thing etc if that helps.

rewski
    Free Member

Home

Minutes from Friston Forest and Eastbourne end of SDW.

slowjo
    Free Member

I like that!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mrs and her bestie walked the SDW last year and stayed over in some Yurts on the Arun.. I’ll dig the name of the place out.
    She also stayed over in nice BnB’s, but there are loads along/just off the Hills.

pictonroad

Arundel is like an imaginary English town described by an American, it has a castle and a cathedral and lots of antique shops, tea rooms and some nice pubs. Just off the SDW.

DrP

It’s also the setting for Disney’s “Frozen”, and currently remains covered in snow whilst the princess sorts her shizzle out…

DrP

EDIT – my mistake. That’s Arendelle.
    Little know fact – Pictonroad of this parish once saved Arundel from drowning during the floods using only the power of his mind, a huge crane, and a whole truck load of disposable minions.

rewski
    Free Member

Was used in Life and Loves of a She Devil
    [video]https://youtu.be/7YCSuSIQ3jI[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

Arundel doesn’t have a cathedral does it 😕

Very quaint English town though.

DrP

Arendelle’s name is also similar to that of Arundel, an English market town and civil parish in a steep vale of the South Downs, West Sussex. The name was spelled ‘Arundell’ until 1733, when the final l was dropped. Arundel is home to Arundel Castle, seat of the Duke of Norfolk; and to Arundel Cathedral, seat of the (Catholic) Bishop of Arundel and Brighton.

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

How weird. Never noticed there’s a cathedral.

pictonroad

Arundel doesn’t have a cathedral does it

Am I being internet pedanted here? I know its not very old and it’s from the ‘other side’ but I think it’s generally accepted that the big Cathedral thing called Arundel Cathedral serves as a nice Cathedrally backdrop for a cream tea whilst wooing one’s wife.

DrP

Njee20’s also bound to say “Arundel doesn’t have a rampant swinging scene” because he ‘claims’ to have never seen that either, then Pictonroad will chirp in with the answer we all knew all along….

DrP

😉

corroded
    Free Member

Fox Goes Free pub about halfway. Highly recommended – they’ve got rooms, a beautiful garden and do a great roast. We were running late, phoned in our order before the kitchen closed and got there to find our food had just arrived and pints were pulled. Result!
    http://www.thefoxgoesfree.com/

corroded
    Free Member

Oh and it’s a stone’s throw from West Dean Gardens: https://www.westdean.org.uk/gardens

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Fristons rubbish, no singletrack at all in there.

Rubber_Buccaneer

There is a cathedral in Arundel, its just tucked away on the top of the hill. njee probably didn’t notice it

m1kea
    Free Member

Arundel’s cathedral is Catholic (I’m giving njee another excuse for not realising it existed :wink:)

A different place to stay could be Laughton Place – http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/laughton-place-8822

Very close to Lewes, Glyndebourne (if you fancy opera) and not far from Eastbourne. Sheffield Park gardens would be about a 30 min drive

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SDW – places to stay.’ is closed to new replies.