Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • SDW in a day… 15th June anyone?
  • redbarron
    Free Member

just signed up to singletrack – and surprised at the amount of negative posts on this SDW subject.
    I’m 40+ MTB – keen, but don’t do nearly enough mileage. Have done SDW 100 miler twice (BHF events) and seriously considering end July event this year, even though haven’t started proper training yet. Both times I achieved 12 hours – and both times added 20+ mins with geographical embarrassment : (
    The really serious guys are clocking 9hrs (on ss)

Yes – it’s important to get mileage training in – but I never did more than 4-5 hour rides pre SDW. The riding isn’t technical, but some seriously nasty (never ending) hills, esp in last 35miles after devil’s dyke. IF you (masochistically) don’t mind climbing, and have reasonable fitness, plus some experience of endurance (marathons etc) i.e. understand determination levels – then I think it’s perfectly achievable for good riders, not just uber-extreme guys.

It’s all about keeping going, keeping hydrated plus food input, and no mechanical failures (2 chain breaks 1st year).

My view; don’t be put off. Train, and give it a go. Scenery is stunning, and happiness and reaching eastbourne worth the pain. Easy enough to bail out if have to, because it’s not exactly middle of nowhere

scaredypants

it’s doable on “minimal” training I reckon

I’m not super fit and I did it having never ridden more than 40miles off road before. I did a few road rides of 2-3 hrs just to get some miles in.

Set off early, pace yourself and don’t stop too much.

(I think I’d find the 2nd day really nasty after a 50-60 mile ride the previous day)

Steelsreal

we did it in two and a bit days, camped at Washington first night, then YHA in Alfriston second day leaving a leisurely bimble into eastbourne for fish and chips on the sea front, then the train home….

Alfriston is a nice spot to stop, YHA is cheap and a pub in walking distance and secure bike storage…

Thorouighly enjoyed it, mainly because we had no plans and no dealines, if i was rushing the bit where my rack broke may have been more of a concern, but as it was it was a great weekend…plus we went wrong quite a few times on the navigation front

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d be up for this I think.

But have you considered doing it twice in 3 days? Means transport is easier, you could drive to the start if you can find somewhere to leave your car for 3 days. First day you do the first two thirds, then stay in a b&b. Get up, leave stuff you don’t need to take, do the final third of the route out and back, and stay at the same b&b. Get up, do the first day but in reverse.

Think it’s about 65 miles a day, depending on where the b&b is. Harder then doing it once in two days, easier then doing it in one day.

singletrackmind

Might join you if thats OK .
    Know the route without the need for gizmos .
    Completed in 13hr last year .
    Possible O/N accom if req’d.
    Only going if its forcast to be sunny

psychle
    Free Member

don’t worry, I’m only going if the forecast is for sun as well! Whereabouts would you becoming from to Winchester? You happy to have a nights accom booked in Eastbourne to eliminate the pressure of making a train? And it’s looking like Friday the 24th of June is the big day, gives me a bit more time to work on fitness!

vinnyeh

Good on you if you do have a go at this, especially with sfa prep- nearly every January I tell myself that this’ll be the year I do sdw in a day, and by about this time every year I’ve found an excuse to not do it.

Actually, if it was any other time than that weekend then my slacker lifestyle would let me pitbitch/ feed you cake/ ride and heckle for a few miles somewhere round the midpoint, if you needed encouragement.

Overnighting both ends would be a big help, removes all time constraints when you’re carrying lights- you just need the determination then, which you seem to have. Nothing more demoralising than having to try and make up lost time when you’re already being pushed.

nuke

So is it going to be a group or solo thing? 😕

Nay problem either way but just trying to plan a date to do this myself. Is good to set a date for these type of rides so you have a date to train up to.

psychle
    Free Member

Only reason I thought of doing it solo (for the first time) is that it means I’m just reliant on myself ie. I won’t hold others back (I guess my thinking is that if I’m going to fail, then I’d rather fail alone, due to my own limits etc, plus it’s somewhat less embarrassing that way!)…

However… doing it as a group is good as well of course, gives the opportunity for banter and encouragement to help while away the distance!

Let’s try to set it up as a group ride for Friday the 24th, starting from Winchester as early as is feasible (I’m going to spend the night down there), I’d hope for a ‘dawn’ start? Will spend the night in Eastbourne so it doesn’t matter what time I get there, head back to London on Saturday after a huge celebratory fry up. Sound like a plan? 8)

beanieripper
    Free Member

i seriously cant believe the amount of cr@p spouted about doing it in a day, it’s not that hard to do in a day at all, ive just got in, literally now…well 40 mins ago.. I do it every year as a birthday thing (to prove i still can!) started this morning at beachy head 5.25am.. put some fast rolling tyres on, head down, pedal…repeat, love or hate the climbing it doesnt matter, just plug on….

psychle
    Free Member

Yep, I can’t believe it either, I think a lot of people are just over-thinking it a bit perhaps, at the end of the day, it’s just a looong ride… keep the fuel going in, don’t over-exert yourself unnecessarily (ie. don’t bang along at 180bpm for the entire time!) and you’ll be fine surely? there’s a lot of climbing for sure, but you can walk that if you want to, and it must mean there’s plenty of descending as well??

Out of interest, what tyres did you use? And what bike?

Cheers (and congrats btw 😀 )

hughjardon
    Free Member

Oh no, psychle you’ve changed it round, I thought you were starting at Winchester?
    My wife’s step sister is a really fit lesbian who lives with her also very fit gf in Winchester!!!
    Was hatching a plan to drive down and stay there Thursday night then get a train back from Eastbourne and pick the van up Friday evening.
    Been looking at doing this for a while (SDW as well as staying with the fit lesbo’s)

psychle
    Free Member

Whoops, previous post edited to be correct… Winchester will indeed be the starting point 😀

Can I come meet the lesbians? 😳 😀

hughjardon
    Free Member

Train from Eastbourne back to Winchester goes via Clapham Junction!!

That’s London aint it?

No wonder it takes nearly 3 hours, I knew there was a reason for not going by train anywhere.

nuke

Only reason I thought of doing it solo (for the first time) is that it means I’m just reliant on myself

I think you’re totally right about this…think it would be hard for a group of riders who have never ridden before to pace themselves together over such a large distance. However, would be good if a group set out together and then just see how it went. I’ve done the BHF 65miler Winchester – Devils Dyke a couple of times and I always tended to team up with a few riders who you would find a pace with.

Bring it on I say 😀 …unless rain is forecast 😉

@beanieripper – Nice one! Lovely day for it.

hughjardon
    Free Member

They are mega fit netball playing girlies 😀

May have to do the first couple of hours with wood!

psychle
    Free Member

That’s London aint it?

Indeed it is.

No wonder it takes nearly 3 hours, I knew there was a reason for not going by train anywhere.

Spend the night in Eastbourne then…

hughjardon
    Free Member

psychle do you know some lesbians in Eastbourne then 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

i seriously cant believe the amount of cr@p spouted about doing it in a day, it’s not that hard to do in a day at all

Not if you’re pretty fit and conditioned to long distance riding it’s not I spose, no. I doubt most people would just be able to jump on a bike and ride 100 miles off road in one day. Even reasonably fit cyclists. Out of interest, what time did you get?

I think there’s a difference between being able to do it reasonably comfortably, and really struggling cos you lack the necessary fitness. What’s the point of hurting yourself? Isn’t cycling meant to be an enjoyable hobby?

I’m mindful of the fools who do the London to Brighton road ride each year; there’s always a few who end up in an ambulance cos they’ve seriously underestimated the effort involved.

So, best get training then, eh Psy? 😉

Yep, I can’t believe it either, I think a lot of people are just over-thinking it a bit perhaps, at the end of the day, it’s just a looong ride…

You were knackered after a flat 100 miles yesterday mate. The same off road is a little bit more than just a long ride…

beanieripper
    Free Member

always do it Eastbourne to Winch, normally use speed king’s, I have done it on 2.5 supetackys HR’s though…riding a chameleon…not pretty!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Btw..my best time is 11hrs 28 mins on a hardtail…you dont need fs on the sdw… oh and for the uninitiated..dont focus on the mileage..there is some proper hills on the sdw..

psychle
    Free Member

I think I’ll take the Bow-ti again, though with a rear mech this time! It’s light and fast, plus nice and comfortable for long distance stuff. Will switch the tires to something faster rolling, maybe a semi-slick of some sort?

You should come Elfin, I reckon you can do it… get the right mindset and come along for the jape, it’ll be fun 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No thanks. I’d like to prepare propply for it and enjoy it, not suffer. I’m not daft.

But I will take great delight in your suffering, that you can rely on. 😀

I’ll deffo be up for a two-nighter though. Or that double in 3 days like RealBoy suggests. That could be fun, bivvying it up, catching a sheep or cah or something and having a bbq.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having done something along these lines myself, I’ll tell you right now: be prepared to meet my friend PAIN!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think I’ll take the Bow-ti again, though with a rear mech this time! It’s light and fast, plus nice and comfortable for long distance stuff.

I think you have the absolutely perfect bike for such a ride. As to those slagging it off t’other day; you ignorant fools. You have no idea at all.

Short travel ultra-leightweight all-dayer. Perfect. Cut those flippin bars down though; 185cm wide! 😮 The two ends are in different time zones ffs!

rewski
    Free Member

Did Devil’s Dyke – Eastbourne on friday evening, I had a strong head wind all the whole way, it was even stopping me on the steep decents, very hard work, it took an embarrassing amount of time, beautiful sunset over the downs though – I’ll take a camera next time.

wynne
    Free Member

Same here. Did Winchester to Amberley on Saturday morning. 20 mph headwind all the way made it feel more like 80 miles than 50. Definitely worth checking out wind directions and speeds if you’re considering the whole route in a day and you’re worried about whether you think you can do it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done this twice, once with a fat mate and once with a whippet mate, both times it took 16 hours and is totally knackering, ok so you’ll smile for a while afterwards you rearly get to enjoy the ride as time pressing on means you miss a lot of whats out there to enjoy.

I’m doing it again soon witha fit mate and me’re taking 2 days this time so we can stop off in a BnB and have a beer and some grub.

No doubt you’ll enjoy it, have fun.

The hardest part are the climbs East’B way deffo.

Also..

Check the weather, if it’s raining it’ll be way harder going and take far longer than planned, if it’s dry it’ll be teeth rattle heaven.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘SDW in a day… 15th June anyone?’ is closed to new replies.