• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nicks.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SDW : Half Way Accommodation.
  • nicks
    Free Member

Any recommendations for accommodation on/close too the South Downs Way at the half way(ish) point.

Ta

bikebouy
    Free Member

BnBs in Amberley very popular … There is a Yurt garden there too my Mrs stayed in with her best friend.. I’ll get the name of it laters, it was most excellent and quiet and the owners lovely too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pub in Storrington seems to be a favourite – from Winchester I think its 60 mioes of the 100. I’ve never done it but have seen this. There is a youth hostel just before Bignor Hill too

nre
    Free Member

I stayed at Truleigh Hill YHA which is right on the SDW, but I rode Petersfield – Eastbourne so it may be a bit too far past half way if you are doing the full thing from Winchester… Having said that the second half has more climbing so getting past halfway on day 1 is recommended…!

theotherjonv

+1 Truleigh Hill

richardthird

Foxleigh Barn. On the SDW at Amberley.

Impeccable B&B also camping options I believe.

Walk down to the Bridge Inn for dinner. (They can book you a table)

Worth mentioning here there is a temp route closure at the mo just above (west of) Jevington. There is an alternative open bridleway available, this is going on for the next 3 weeks apparently.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Used the Rising Sun at Upper Beeding before. Bike friendly – able to lock up our bikes in a garage type affair as I recall. about 40 miles from eastbourne

nedrapier

Truleigh Hill is in a perfect spot. 60 miles in, but the hills are bigger on the second day, you’ll be more tired, and it’s nice to have time on your side, specially if you’ve got to get back from Eastbourne at the end and sort yourself out for work on Monday.

You can order takeaway pizza to the YHA, or ride/taxi down to a pub in Shoreham for dinner

NigE5
    Free Member

What Ned said

matts
    Free Member

I stayed here: http://www.harkaway.freeuk.com/

Reasonable pub in the village for dinner.

Very close to the route.

nicks
    Free Member

Thanks all , YHA Truleigh Hill Booked. Fingers crossed for no rain !

bikebouy
    Free Member

When you going?

Rain expected all over this weekend incl Monday… 😕

And windy.

nicks
    Free Member

June 4th / 5th … fingers crossed !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SDW : Half Way Accommodation.’ is closed to new replies.