Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • SDW – Conditions?
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Any locals been out today/yesterday?

Rained quite hard here in Surrey overnight on already fairly wet ground.

Doing the SDW in a day on saturday. Just concerned if it might be a total mudfest!

rewski
    Free Member

Was out Sat and Sun, the SDW was ok on exposed areas was around Jevington, the chalk dry outs in the wind pretty quickly, it was a total mudfest in Friston Forest so the trails under tree cover maybe muddy, you’ll be fine, should be dry all week. I take it you’re riding from Winchester, you’ll have a bit of wind behind you then.

wwaswas

Did SDW Devil’s Dyke to Lewes on my cross bike yesterday. Dry but with a bit of welcome ‘give’ in the non-flinty bits.

allthepies
    Free Member

Forecast for the week shows weather looking good mid-week but deteriorating towards the w/e. Sorry!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Great stuff. From winchester yes.

thursday does look wet 👿
    but hopefully drying on friday…
    Saturday looks perfect currently.

Westerly and not to hot 😛

rewski
    Free Member

I think there’s a riding event that weekend, goodwood area?

wwaswas

this one:

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-south-downs-epic-mtb-ride-2012/

I rode it last year and there’s not congestion or anything from the riders. You might be able to get a sneaky flapjack and a drink top up at one of the food stops too 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

looks to be on the sunday anyway.

wwaswas

ah, didn’t check what day the 24th was 😳

freeridenick
    Free Member

semi slicks on – ready for the off..

muggomagic

I was out between storrington and Beeding section of the SDW over the weekend. Absolutely fine up there.
    I would imagine the bit through Graffham down might still be a bit boggy, but in the main I would think it’d be in pretty good nick even with the rain forecast for later in the week.

dantsw13

The wind will have dried any exposed areas very quickly. Any areas under trees will still be muddy, so definately not a day for race tyres unless you like to keep it interesting!! SDW mud is VERY claggy too, so something that sheds mud well would be a bonus. Nobby Nics are my SDW tyre of choice, or my X-kings if its dry.

Taff
    Free Member

Was surpised how dry the area was given the rain we’ve been having

nedrapier

Nick – I’m also doing this on Saturday with 2 mates. 3 hardtails, red Rock Lobster, blue who-knows-what-cos-the-decals-have-rubbed-off, and a Kona Asomethingorotherha.

I’m sure we’ll see each other at some point – unless you’re setting off at 5 and going for sub 9 hours!

Fingers firmly crossed for the the weather…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Great stuff.

Yes, 3 of us. 6.45am start winchester. hoping for circa 12 hours…
    Giant NRS vintage 2003!
    Prince albert
    Cannondale FS thingy.

see you out there!! can discuss splitboarding to make the day go quicker 8)

nedrapier

not sure if we decided which train to get. I have a feeling we were aiming for the train after that one. Thinking that an hour extra in bed might be worth having, and starting at 7:45, even a 14 hour ride would finish in the daylight.

Would be nice to finish earlier, though, so we’ll see. And we haven’t decided whether we’re staying in Eastbourne and lolling about on the Sunday, or getting the train back into That London after a recovery beer or two by the sea.

Have you booked anywhere to stay, or are you winging it?

Fantombiker

Blimey, its going to be crowded!! There’s four of us doing SDW leaving Winchester at 7am on Sat to Eastbourne YHA, then return on Sunday. We are Yeti hardtail, Specialized hardtail and Specialized epic!! See you out there…anyone know of a good cafe about halfway along for massive carb upload to keep us going??

rewski
    Free Member

anyone know of a good cafe about halfway

further than half way, pub at devils dyke, and a cafe at alfriston by the monument in town, just before two big big climbs windover hill and the last climb out of jevington. Good luck, I hope the wind behaves for you.

If you stopover I recommend heading over to Friston Forest for a play, if you’re up to it? 😉

Napalm
    Free Member

“semi slicks on – ready for the off..”

How prophetic if the chalks wet. 😆

m1kea
    Free Member

Amberley is near as damnit half way.

(Disclaimer: I haven’t been in any of these places in yonks)

You have a transport / biker cafe at Whiteways on the A29, just over 1/2 mile from the SDW.

Then there’s a couple of riverside cafes in Amberley, which will cost considerably more but have a much nicer aspect.

The Frankland Arms in Washington is a bit further on and would have a ‘gentle’ road climb to get you back to the SDW

Around the 60 mile point you could also detour in to Steyning.

(You also get there with a nice little run down from Chanctonbury Ring :wink:but that’s a little more complicated to show on a map)

nedrapier

Fantombiker – Member
    Blimey, its going to be crowded!! There’s four of us doing SDW leaving Winchester at 7am on Sat to Eastbourne YHA, then return on Sunday

return on Sunday? To Winchester, along the SDW?

There is (certainly was) a good deli in Alfriston for pastry goods etc. bit further than halfway, but well worth a stop.

Fantombiker

return on Sunday? To Winchester, along the SDW?

Yep, attempting the ‘double’ over 2 days! Should be fun…….

freeridenick
    Free Member

Have you seen sundays weather!

nedrapier

Blimey, good luck fantom!

We’ve plumped for an extra hour in bed on Saturday morning, so we’ll be getting into Winchester station at 7:33.

See you guys at some stage, maybe a rest stop, maybe on the beach with tinnies afterwards?

http://goo.gl/maps/DoJR

wwaswas

Today would be a really good day to be riding the sdw.

and I’m sat in my office looking wistfully out the window towards it 🙁

freeridenick
    Free Member

Much rain that way? Pretty heavy over surrey hills in hte night. Doesn’t look great for the next 24 hours….. 😈

rewski
    Free Member

@ nedrapier: I wouldn’t meet at king Edwards parade, if you’re finishing at the actual start.end at paradise drive then keep going downhill on Carlisle road towards the wish tower/seafront, you could end up going back up hill otherwise.

DrP

Yup, rain around Worthing/Washington, due to continue into next week….

DrP

piha
    Free Member

Attempting the SDW tomorrow and I reckon it might be a bit slippy in places after last nights rain. Any updates from locals would be appreciated.

nuke

Good luck piha. Weather looks like its improved for Friday since a few days ago. Decent breeze in your favour as well.

Saturday’s weather is currently looking pretty good for a wet lap. Bring it on 😀

wwaswas

Attempting the SDW tomorrow

fit a sail, travel the right way and you won’t have to pedal much.

it’s really blowy out there today.

freeridenick
    Free Member

spinaker fitted for tomorrow!

tommo999
    Free Member

I may see you out there, I’m attempting to complete the SDW tomorrow too. Arrive in Winchester approx 7.30am. If the wind is still like this tomorrow, after my ride to work this morning I won’t get out of breath til at least Devil’s Dyke!!

nedrapier

I wonder how many groups are doing this tomorrow. The obvious choice of day for anyone thinking about it. 4 off here, and how many others? Not quite bhf busyness, happily!

Wee change of plan here, we’re training back the same evening. Forecast for Eastbourne looks pretty miserable for Sunday. I’d be bang up for mooching around on Sunday morning in the sunshine, finding a pavement cafe for a fry up then a swim and a snooze on the beach. But frying to find a caff in gusty, horizontal misty drizzle and wondering what to do with the bikes could be massively anti-climactic!

tommo999
    Free Member

A wise choice. I’m training back home to Angmering afterwards, fully caked in mud (not dust unfortunately) so I hope I don’t get kicked off or refused entry!

m1kea
    Free Member

Here are the conditions for Shoreham and environs

Make sure you’re going W to E!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Much rain today over the SDW ?, lots here in Dorking on and off all day 😈

currently tipping it down

wwaswas

Dry so far in Brighton.

edoverheels
    Free Member

We are doing the Sundowner
    An overnight ride from Steyning to QECP and then back again. Supposed to be chasing the sun as it sets and then picking it up as it rises on the way back. Weather forecast looks wall to wall rain overnight. Ho hum.
    Downs had managed to keep pretty good and hard overall but are starting to soften up now.

freeridenick
    Free Member

sounds kind of positive, thanks!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘SDW – Conditions?’ is closed to new replies.