Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • SDW – BHF charity ride this Sat.
  • Wally

Anybody else doing it?
    Knee hurts after Dunwich Dynamo this weekend, a little worried.

weeksy

Yup, i’m in for some of that.

I’ve got a few knee issues myself this weekend, but i’m hoping to learn a few lessons from this weekend.

Going to be an early start and a very long day out !

Wally

Yes. 5am is the off time. Hip hurts now. I will be the chap in black on the black Pivot, looking anxious. I will be going very steady. Last year, 5am till 7pm. Long ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Must do the SDW again. Wonder if it’s quicker doing an organised thing – people holding gates etc, or slower – simple volume of people.

Good luck to all.

weeksy

Wally.

I’ll be on a sky blue Whyte t130.

Wally

With the double chainset!
    I ran out of gears so many times on the last 30 miles that I am going lower geared this year. Last time fellow riders opened gates if they could. Organised means you can travel light, no back pack.

weeksy

We were going to take packs due to staying over, but mates missus is collecting us now, so no pack for me.

Wally

Yep, it’s brutally long, do everything you can to be as light as possible and comfortable. Last year I used the tubeless tyre plugs when flint cut a hole, sunscreen also advised. Resting up this week.

weeksy

I’ve done it twice at night as an event. But coming from Eastbourne. Although our event did finish at QECP.
    We should be around same pace as I’ll be sticking with a mate for moral support on eachother.

Poopscoop

I inadvertently ran into this very event back in 2010 on the last day of my personal little SDW adventure!

Was wild camping, first 2 days never saw a single rider practically, then Sunday! Boom! Riders everywhere!

It was great to be there even though I “officially” wasn’t.

Have a GREAT ride guys. That multi day STW ride I did is one of the best things I have ever done and will be repeating it this Summer.

Not this weekend though. 🙁

Watch the flint, I had to superglue a ripped tyre back together on the last day.Lol Running tubed at the time luckily!

cobrakai

Did it last year on whyte t130. 2nd wave off of the start, finished at 1915.

Best tip, if you don’t have a bell get one. Makes life so much easier if the walking dead can hear you coming and they get out of the way!

Wish I was doing it again but working.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I’m in. I did the 35 miler last year and swore i’d never go near it again.
    How the memories fade. Doing the 100 this time.

njee20
    Free Member

Organised means you can travel light, no back pack.

There are taps, no backpack needed any time 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Yes, me and a mate riding it this weekend. Not sure we’re doing it “right” though as raising funds for a MS charity & and on a Spesh Enduro & a long low slack hardtail….

weeksy

Ummmm a bell, good point. Sure I have one in spares box.

Wally

Anybody, in Winchester the night before? Pasta joint?

weeksy

Local Wally, 30 mins away, you’re more than welcome at mine for Carbonara though.

qwerty
    Free Member

Pasta joint?

Dude, you can’t smoke da pasta, man. What a Wally. Oh, hang on…..

cobrakai

Weeksy, you must be close. I’m in Bishops Waltham if you want a bell.

weeksy

Opposite direction from Winchester mate. I’ve found and fitted a bell.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Good luck chaps, I did it in 14 hours last month. Back again for a more leisurely pace this thursday/friday. I’ll stash some Haribo’s behind a tap for you!

It’s worth printing out the route profile if you’ve never done it before. At least you’ll know how many hills left. I’ve always found half the battle is in my mind with the SDW.

Route profile

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck guys.

cobrakai

No probs.

dovebiker

Bell is definitely worth having – Rockbros on Amazon is nice’n’loud.

There are about 90 gates (if you’re counting)

The hills before Truleigh don’t really count for much – Southease is the ‘killer’, fortunately there’s the cafe at the youth hostel

weeksy

Looking at the BHF website it specifies it has water stops and mechanical support, but i can’t see anything on feed stations ? If there were feed stations i was going to ride without a Camelbak, just 2 bottles and carry some food and then a tailbag for spares/stuff. We’re now not staying over in Eastbourne so no need to carry a change of clothing with us.. But i’d like more than a pocket full of food as i’m not sure i can carry enough in pockets even with the number of water taps, i think i’d be OK for liquids, but food, hmmmm.

muggomagic

The hills before Truleigh don’t really count for much

Not sure about that. Plenty of decent climbs before the river Adur – Truleigh hill climb. You have the climb up from the A32, up from the A3, A285 to Bignor hill, Amberley Mount, A24 – Chanctonbury ring.
    The worst one for me though is Alfriston to Windover Hill.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The trail will be brutally hard now, I went up early Saturday morning on the CXer to do a loop I have from home/Cheesefoot/SDW/QECP/home and its running hard and fast chalk. Unlikely to get slippy at all despite today’s rain here, lots of wind will dry it out.
    Teeth rattling fun.

Enjoy it.

weeksy

That’s why i’ve brought the bouncy bike 🙂

Painey
    Free Member

Good luck to all those doing it. I keep toying with the idea of having another go as it’s a great day out, as long as the weather plays ball.

Regarding feed stations. I wouldn’t rely on things like that. You might get the chance to grab a cake here and there but you need a lot of the right food, little and often to keep the tanks filled up. There’s plenty of water stops but I’d never do it without a backpack and some food inside it.

TimP
    Free Member

Did it for the first time on Saturday with some mates up until Washington Hill then solo. Nearly quit at Southease. I knew it was coming, I should have stopped at the cafe but knew I was cutting it fine to get to Eastbourne before dark. Reached the point I couldn’t push more than 10m or do 2 turns of the pedals without stopping.

Got 1 flat out on the trails and a slow puncture that has gone down since so be prepared for multiple flats. It was cold to start, but HOT later, then freezing sat waiting for my train. I had all my food and water on the bike and a rucksack with spare clothes, suntan lotion etc. so the lighter but bulky stuff.

Bike wise I managed it on 26″ wheeled Soul with just 9 gears (retro I know!!)

Good luck to all doing it!!

nedrapier

The worst one for me though is Alfriston to Windover Hill.

Is that ‘cos you always stuffed yourself with pastry goods from the deli? 😀

Wally

How’s it going on the final prep Weeksy?

Tube behind the saddle.
    Sticky pod bag with all tools in, inhaler, sanitising gel, moisture cream, bum butter, salt NuuN tablets for water, three fruit jellies and three savory, pump, tunes and token lock. Asthma and Excema don’t help when traveling light.

weeksy

Still debating pack or no pack.

Did 20km gentle one today, now all ready.

Slow and steady!

DrP

If you’ve feed stations, some snacks and 2 bottles on the bike should be fine..
    I’ve just done the SDW but solo unsupported, so had a fuel pod and a lumbar camel back…

DrP

Wally

I need every advantage I can get, so no pack for me. Old almost slick tyres. Slow and steady will win the day, too right. See you there 5am.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gotta say it.

Have a huge amount of fun, hope the weather and the trail ride smooth, you bonk at least twice, puncture 4times from the same hole and trap a chunk of flint in your mech.

Should be a huge amount of fun.

Be nice to the Downs, savour the views.

Wally

Oh dear, living up to Forum name. At start in Bnb and just realised multitool is 100’s of miles back home. What a Wally. No chain breaker either. Weeksy, got anything I can buy from you at start line?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’ll be fine, borrow one if needed. Someone will no doubt be towing a snap-on toolkit with them… 😀

In all the times I’ve ridden it, I’ve never ever needed one, ask DrP.. he’s just done it, see if he needed one.. didn’t mention any breaks or mishaps ..

And the weather looks damn near perfect, with dry sunny and a SWly wind to push you all the way there.

I’ve just come back from Old Winny Hill along the Meon Trail flat chat and its dry as a bone and teeth rattling fun.

Wally

All sorted! Bikers are a friendly bunch.

weeksy

Mine is in the car if you need it too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘SDW – BHF charity ride this Sat.’ is closed to new replies.