Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SDA Glencoe red route race, 30th September- looking for more riders
  • Northwind

Just posting in here as I know there’s not much information out there about this race… SDA publicity machine being what it is 😛 But it’s a cool idea and hopefully will be a success.

It’s a proper SDA downhill race, but run on the new lift-accessed red instead of the DH course. So, much more accessible- the track will still be a blast at speed but also much more doable for ye mortal riders, and also a good one for people without full on DH bikes (undecided myself whether to use the DH bike or the 6 incher) Perfect introduction to “proper” DH racing.

Low £30 entry fee, and the event’s on a one-day format so practice in the morning, race in the afternoon- should get a good amount of riding for your money. Entrants get a discounted uplift on the saturday for £15 if they want more practice, so you could get a lot of riding for your money (the dh course will also be open on the saturday so it’s not just race practice, you can go and traumatise yourself on the DH too)

One thing to be aware of is that they’re not relaxing the armour requirements, so you’ll still need a fullface (good idea) but also a hard spine protector. I don’t know if Glencoe Mountain hire armour will meet the SDA standard.

So anyway- I’ve entered, competition in Old Mincers class looks to be properly fierce 😉 More info on the SDA Facebook, and entries via British Cycling.

Northwind

Oh yah, should have space for at least one person going up from Edinburgh in the great grey whale… But not sure yet whether I’ll go up on saturday or sunday.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

My new (to me) dh bike won’t be built up in time otherwise I’d be there. Have fun!

hels
    Free Member

I quite fancied a crack at this, I am sure could borrow some ill fitting and smelley body armour from somewhere, and I do own a full-facer that has not seen much action. Sadly, it’s the same weekend as Rd 2 of our mini DH series at Innerleithen for the Kidz, so will be stood on a hill pretending to be important.

Next time tho, I promise.

Northwind

Aye, really narked that it’s the same weekend as the TT 🙁

hels
    Free Member

For the record, we were first !

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

£5 more than a normal days uplift for timing (and prizes) make it a bit of a no brainer really… although I’m biased, having built the trail, it is a great mix of challenge and accessibility and as Northwind says, a full DH rig isn’t a prerequisite, although I would advise DH tyres… obviously, it is still a gravity trail and a fast one at that, what with the chairlift n all, the red status simply reflects that the levels of danger and lunacy are somewhat relaxed over Glencoe’s traditional reputation as the UK’s toughest DH 😀

ENTER HERE

Northwind

Mr Bigmountain, do you know if the glencoe body-armour-for-hire is SDA-compliant (ie, hard spine protector)? I’ve got a spare medium fullface I can loan out to anyone that needs it but my spare pressure suit has a soft protector so the SDA won’t accept it 🙁

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Just had a quick squizz at the armour Glencoe Mountain provides and it certainly has a hardshell protector, though whether or not it’s in full compliance with SDA guidelines is a grey area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SDA Glencoe red route race, 30th September- looking for more riders’ is closed to new replies.