Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Scwalbe Rock Razor
  • zero-cool
    Free Member

Anyone used or got one of these? Looking for feedback. Or any similar tyres? It’s for a 26 wheel so that limits my choice nowadays.
    My only previous experience of Scwalbe has been Nobby Nics so that means I’ve never rated them before.

Or can anyone else recommend similar from other brands? I’m usually a Maxxis boy and previous ventures away have left me less than impressed or disappointed.

Tom KP

jamesfts
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after. Makes a great rear tyre when combined with some aggressive up front like a Magic Mary.

Rolls well, similar to a Racing Ralf but takes a bit of confidence to get the grip out of it as it needs to be lent over quite hard. Can be quite interesting braking in a straight line on steep loose stuff but if youre happy get it lent over and off the brakes it’s loads of fun!

If you’re used to running a semi slick on the back it’s a great tyre, if you’re not then a Hans Danpf might be a bit more forgiving. Can’t see it being much use on the front.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Was about to waltz in and give all my knowledge on it but jamesfts above has said what needs to be said.
    Superb rolling, no straight line braking and if you’re happy leaning it over to use the side knobs then the side knobs do work really well. I’ve been surprised what loose conditions I can use them in.
    Can’t wait for the sun to come back to use it again really.

gardron
    Free Member

I’ve had one on for a couple of months on a santa cruz 5010 (now swapped off with the mud setting in) – it’s a riot. Very low profile knobbles in the middle and very large on the sides. Worked far better on a flow ex than an arch ex as the profile suits a wider rim, on a narrower rim you really need to lean a lot before the large side knobbles bite in.
    If you accidentally dab the brake while the wheel isn’t on the ground, when it touches down, it’s like you’re on a skid tyre on the road. No grip whatsoever, but that’s what makes it a riot.
    Flip side of that is you need a good front tyre as you will put more emphasis on the front brake as a result. Just don’t put one on the front unless you like to live on the edge and you’re riding somewhere really really dry.

tomaso
    Free Member

Fast rolling til you pinch puncture or rip the sidewall. Durable and tough they are not.

It depends where you ride. I wouldn’t go any where rocky with one.

proutster
    Free Member

I used a Rock Razor with the Super Gravity casing this summer in The Peak District and I loved it, good (I.e. low) rolling resistance, good edge grip through the turns in the (loamy) forest and robust sidewalls for the rocks.

Used it in a Gravity Enduro (Whinlatter?) and it did the trick there.

For summer use, recommended. Can’t wait for the dry trails again 🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

See also Mavic Roam XL

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like mine. Thought it worked well as a summer tyre with a Magic Mary up front.

As other have said, rolls well, corners well when leant over but don’t expect any help with regards to grip on steep stuff. I’ve had no issues with the casing on any of my Schawble tyres even at BPW or in the Peaks. I find that they generally seat easily in UST rims too.

Mine will be going on again as soon as the trails dry out but for now I’m back to a Hans Dampf.

j3ffo
    Free Member

Liked mine. Described as above… no problems with standard casing for me during Trans Savoie and other alps riding. Lack of braking grip in the steep is interesting at times..

boxxer7
    Free Member

Got on well with mine, same experience as everyone else regarding rolling braking and cornering. Quite heavy in supergravity format but the side walls held up well at low pressures. Now sat in my garage with a massive hole through the side unfortunately.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’m not to worried about having to lean it over for grip. That’s pretty much the reason I was looking at them compared to other fast rolling tyres. The Super Gravity casings are the stronger ones, right?

boxxer7
    Free Member

Yep super gravity is the stronger casing although I still ripped one and it wasn’t rocky.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mine is great but it’s massive. It rubs on the stays on my stumpy, granted that’s not helped by a crappy stands flow ex that flexes everywhere. It was near perfect on a dry day at BPW with mindmap but I have had to take it off because of the rubbing. I have even considered a new frame just so I can use it again.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I have an Orange Alpine I_Ache so clearance isn’t a problem

mccraque

I used one with a magic Mary up front doing some alpine riding this summer. Fast roller, and seemed durable to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Scwalbe Rock Razor’ is closed to new replies.