Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Scum riders @ Friston
  • winston
    Free Member

Walking round Friston with some friends yesterday and explaining this was one of the places I ride.

“Do you also throw your old inner tubes away like that?”

“erm no certainly not – that must be a one off or fallen from somebodies pack”

20 minutes later walking along the gallop

“oh look, there’s another one off”

Brilliant. Thanks guys.

PS I know it wasn’t anyone off here as you all ride tubeless and wouldn’t do this anyway but needed to vent

flicker
    Free Member

Fished two out of the trees at Llandegla yesterday and one at Cannock a couple of weeks back 🙁

eejits

singlesteed
    Free Member

No excuse for trail litter!

Going to be vigilant and carry a ninja chain ring around for odd chance I spot this happening or better still trail sabotagers’

Bastids the lot of them!

rOcKeTdOg

I remember when riders took their tubes home to fix. Actually I still do, they are too expensive not to fix

Northwind

I harvested Puncture Corner on innerleithen red for tubes one time, came down with about 15 of the things wrapped round my body like Bibendum, patched the good ones up and used them. They were hanging in a tree like tinsel.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Some people, disgusting… still using inner tubes!

vmgscot

Was walking up to Carron Crag in Grizedale yesterday with the nipper and he picked up a 10-speed chain and a speedo swimming cap in the forest

downhilldave

Not ridden Hully Gully at Gisburn then. The tree at the bottom has loads hanging from it. A mate had punctured near the end, stopped by the tree to fix it. Looked up and hey presto loads of em. Don’t use them myself.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’ve never had a punctured tube fall out my pack but have lost, pumps, multitools, lights, buffs, gloves, glasses and my lunch…

EDIT – PS thought this was going to be an anti roadie rant – am dissapoint – this forums’ getting too multicycsual.

richmtb

I harvested Puncture Corner on innerleithen red for tubes one time,

Go on then NW, where’s Puncture Corner?

I took a noob out once and he fell off and broke his mudguard. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him to pick up the broken plastic and take it with him, didn’t go out with him again.

FOG

Fortunately for the environment and the bunch I ride with, one of our number is a inner tube fetishist. Whenever anyone gets a puncture he begs the old tube, puts it in his pack and repairs it at home. When we expressed surprise, as he can afford new tubes, he tells us he finds puncture repairs relaxing and therapeutic! We had a puncture on Sunday but he was ‘t with us and we didn’t know what to do with the tube!

Northwind

@ Rich- on caddon bank, you know where there’s the daft big roller things? Then you turn left at a fence, where it crosses the lefthand pushup. That’s where people realise they’ve just flatted on the fast bit, for some reason.

chambord
    Free Member

We had a puncture on Sunday but he was ‘t with us and we didn’t know what to do with the tube!

Fix it?

Am I the only one reading this thread surprised that everyone doesn’t just fix their punctures? It only takes 2 minutes…

rOcKeTdOg

Fix it?

Am I the only one reading this thread surprised that everyone doesn’t just fix their punctures? It only takes 2 minutes…

cough

rOcKeTdOg – Member

I remember when riders took their tubes home to fix. Actually I still do, they are too expensive not to fix

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’m tubeless

chambord
    Free Member

cough

My apologies, I didn’t read the thread very thoroughly 🙂

igm

Even if they’re beyond fixing…

Chain stay protection
    Rubber shims
    Bed creak prevention
    Boiler repairs (yes really, patched up a leaking combi with inner tubes and a dry wall anchor – it held pressure)
    Etc…

I’m sure there used to be a 101 uses for an old inner tube thread on here

thepurist

I’m sure there used to be a 101 uses for an old inner tube thread on here

There is now!

steve_b77
    Free Member

On the Dyfi Winter Warmer last weekend I rode up behind a guy on a long fire road climb as he was munching on a ceral bar or something similar, which the wrapper of he promptly chucked behind him.

I said there’s no need to do that as it’s just dirty and untidy, and he just a glared at me as I rode past, like it was me who was in the wrong for notifying him of his act. I later saw him talking to one of the organisers in quite a chummy way so I assume he was a local, which makes it even worse to be honest.

richmtb

Rich- on caddon bank, you know where there’s the daft big roller things? Then you turn left at a fence, where it crosses the lefthand pushup. That’s where people realise they’ve just flatted on the fast bit, for some reason.

I know exactly where you are, I’ve flatted myself there!

ajantom

On the Dyfi Winter Warmer last weekend I rode up behind a guy on a long fire road climb as he was munching on a ceral bar or something similar, which the wrapper of he promptly chucked behind him.

I said there’s no need to do that as it’s just dirty and untidy, and he just a glared at me as I rode past, like it was me who was in the wrong for notifying him of his act.

Up on Haldon a few weeks ago I saw a rider empty his bag of a couple of wrappers and a plastic water bottle and then ride off. I picked them up and followed him along the trail. He seemed slightly put out when I handed them to him back at the hub.

I also came across a small pile of inner tubes up on Woodbury. weirdly 2 weren’t even punctured. It was at the ‘jump’ spot, so guessing it was youths! Anyway, I’m 5 decent tubes up on it 😉

spooky_b329

Walking along the Gallops? Shame its not got a better gradient on it…

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44629261.html

jobro
    Free Member

Up on Haldon a few weeks ago I saw a rider empty his bag of a couple of wrappers and a plastic water bottle and then ride off. I picked them up and followed him along the trail. He seemed slightly put out when I handed them to him back at the hub.

I also came across a small pile of inner tubes up on Woodbury. weirdly 2 weren’t even punctured. It was at the ‘jump’ spot, so guessing it was youths! Anyway, I’m 5 decent tubes up on it

Well done you. Not many of us would have the bottle to confront such anti social behaviour.

I did cover a tree on the Quantocks with latex once when I sliced a hole in the rear sidewall. I would have taken it home honest, but I couldn’t get the bugger off the tree !

belugabob
    Free Member

Was walking up to Carron Crag in Grizedale yesterday with the nipper and he picked up a 10-speed chain and a speedo swimming cap in the forest

I think you’ll find they were left by a different group of forest users 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Scum riders @ Friston’ is closed to new replies.