Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Scuffing up your brke rotors on purpose (+ word champ turns bike upside down!)
  • transapp
    Free Member

As in this video @ 1:10. Why? Guy knows what he’s doing around bikes, but I’ve not seen this before.

Additionally, notice which way up the bikes are to fit the wheels?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n1mMgYCjv0Y[/video]

forexpipz
    Free Member

The rotors are scuffed to give better performance.

Use a fine file. Perhaps diamond. Better still just get some sandpaper. Any of the lower grits will suffice.

He turns his bike upside down coz he probably bleeds his brakes more than most people and he’s probably certain of no air in there.

DezB
    Free Member

If there’s one thing Danny ain’t, it’s a Word champ!

Maybe he’s just cleaning the rotors..

PaulD
    Free Member

I use the abrasive coated foam blocks (sanding pads) to clean my rotors.
    At Swinley they collect forest debris and pine residue which is sticky.
    I use brake disc cleaner on a clean rag (not paper), then air dry and rough up with the abrasive after every 2-3 rides.
    Bike in a workstand even though I know there is no air in my brakes.

PaulD

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If there’s one thing Danny ain’t, it’s a Word champ!

Autism.

grum
    Free Member

Quality of banter between those two is a bit poor – quite awkward at times.

cheez0
    Free Member

im sure someone will be along to correct me, but aren’t disc brakes supposed to work with heat dissipation?
    roughing up the discs will wear pads quicker but not neccessarily enhance braking.

surely cleaning the crap off discs without scratching them is better?
    i use the rubber-type blocks as already mentioned to clean/polish my discs. these are more for buffing than ‘roughing’

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I know a few people who rough up their discs, used to see a lot more who did it to their rims for trials.

Rough is better than polished in my eyes, I just can’t be arsed to do it.

I also turn bike upside down all the time.

geoffj

He clearly doesn’t subscribe to the TJ school of brake pad bedding in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Autism.

Is he? I’ve seen that posted a few times in threads but never actualy mentioned in an article.

He just comes accross as quiet and ‘normal’, if he is autistic he’s definately at the ‘normal’ end of the spectrum. Just because he rides bikes doesn’t mean he comes from the Rob Warner school of public perception management.

chiefgrooveguru

…aren’t disc brakes supposed to work with heat dissipation?

That’s how all brakes work!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Is he? I’ve seen that posted a few times in threads but never actualy mentioned in an article.

He just comes accross as quiet and ‘normal’, if he is autistic he’s definately at the ‘normal’ end of the spectrum. Just because he rides bikes doesn’t mean he comes from the Rob Warner school of public perception management.

Apparently so. As you probably know there are many varying levels of Autism that manifests itself in all manner of ways.

Regardless I like the fact he isn’t media savvy and just quietly goes along becoming a World Champion… Like you do.

DezB
    Free Member

Autism.

I thought he meant me

juan
    Free Member

Yes dezb you too, but that is mainly due to the music you listen 😉

Northwind

grum – Member

Quality of banter between those two is a bit poor – quite awkward at times.

To be fair you quite often don’t get banter between Guy Martin and someone else- you just get Guy talking. I loved Danny’s wee comment “I’m ready. He’s still talking”.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I can’t make out what is said. I’ve tried a few times.. maybe its this netbook.

Tiger6791

Can your netbook translate ‘northern’ ?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Its based in the highlands and only translates Teuchter! I can usually make out what Guy says.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Its based in the highlands and only translates Teuchter! I can usually make out what Guy says.

oldnick

Re the bikes being upside down for wheel fitting; just don’t do what my mate did on the first morning of a long weekend in Wales, namely spin the wheel to check it and then absent-mindedly put his finger tip through the rotor spokes…

Cut down to the bone via the fingernail, he went a very funny colour.

I’m guessing a roughened disc would be more abrasive, which would help wear the pads to avoid glazing. I avoid this problem by using Superstar pads which regularly explode into a million pieces/catch fire/do nothing to promote world peace.

deviant
    Free Member

I always have the bike upside down to take the wheels on and off….had no idea it was such a faux pas.

jmason
    Free Member

I always have the bike upside down to take the wheels on and off….had no idea it was such a faux pas.

Yea, people get really upset about it

cynic-al
    Free Member

People really think that people get really upset about it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yea, people get really upset about it

Generally those with rubbish brakes that can’t be bled properly, bars equipped with more gadgets than an F1 car or poncy grips (worse all 3)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure this gives any advantage. Best performance I ever had from disc brakes was riding in Greece where the fine dust on all the trails polished the rotors to a mirror finish. It actually made modulation pretty difficult.

rOcKeTdOg

poncy grips

Just what is considered “poncy” a grip is a grip isn’t it?

adrianmilleruk
    Free Member

turning bike upside down don’t make a blind bit off difference. Like previous correspondents depends on handle bar gadgets and your transport.
    the best video is Guy Martin visiting Orange factory

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

White or Perfectly Colour Matched

Danny Hart should thank the lord he’s got downhill talent cos without that he would surely die a virgin

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scuffing up brake discs will make no improvement unless they are contaminated or the pads glazed.

Disc brakes work by a mix of abrasive and adherent friction – you need a layer of pad material built up on the rotors and the creation of a molten semi fluid boundary layer.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

adrianmilleruk
    Free Member

he would surely die a virgin

Iam still not sure there are mountain biking groupies queuing outside his camper. Not really formula one status just yet.

transapp
    Free Member

To be fair, turning the bike upside down was topical when I posted this link, quite surprised the first reply came after 2 months!

forexpipz
    Free Member

I tried scuffing. Works better for the first few pulls. Then its not so good. I can hear the analogies already.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

scruff
    Free Member

TJ IS WRONG.

Scuffing brake discs removes pad material build up and can quieten down squeeling, theres a write up on Pinkbike from some Avid guy doing it in a correct manner.

TJ IS WRONG AND HE CANT COME BACK TO ARGUE !

TJ IS WRONG.

DrP

Plus the ladeez find a guy with scuffed rotors and an upside down bike IRRESISTABLE……

Fact.

DrP

YoKaiser
    Free Member

A possible reason for the upside down bike is that it can help lubricate the fork seals, let some oil get to the top of the fork and soak into the wipers.

Milkie
    Free Member

Or maybe… Just maybe, he’s always turned his bike upside down and like nearly everyone who has, it hasn’t caused problems or bothered them. 😉

deanfbm
    Free Member

As if this stuff even matters 😯

uselesshippy
    Free Member

^
    This

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Scuffing up your brke rotors on purpose (+ word champ turns bike upside down!)’ is closed to new replies.