Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Scuffing on second hand carbon frame – worth worrying about?
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Looking at a possible second hand frame purchase (well, front triangle anyway), Can anyone tell from this photo if the scuffing, if that what it is, would affect the frame strength at all or does it look superficial?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22M5L6X]image2[/url] by Steve Taylor 80, on Flickr

Yeah I know, plenty more frames out there but this is a replacement front triangle in a larger size for a frame I ride currently and never likely to see another, just wondering if I should steer clear completely or if it’s worth a punt.

russyh
    Free Member

Hard to say from the photo, my personal opinion is that looks like a nasty scratch but only cosmetic

titusrider
    Free Member

My carbon ibis has stuff like that all over it, no biggy

sockpuppet

Is that the tiniest-ever Makita hard case? 😀

I’d not worry about the scratch tbh. Presumably it’s priced accordingly?

TiRed

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s not alloy 😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Looks like a surface scuff, maybe slap something over it to seal it, but I’d happily ride that

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

but only cosmetic

would be my guess as well

scotroutes

Hard to tell but that could be from a dropped chain. Doesn’t look bad enough to worry about, especially if it has not been from a hard impact.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The scuffed itself doesn’t look to be a problem but it would make me consider the care it was, or wasn’t shown, during its life.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That looks like absolutely nothing compared to the marks on mine. Would say that’s purely cosmetic.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Okay cheers folks,

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If it’s just lacquer no problem.

If you’re having doubts then walk away.

Buy Caad aluminium or Ti?

andyl
    Free Member

yeah just looks like cable or clothing rub. Wouldnt worry me at all. Anything deep that has gone through layers of carbon like concentrated cable rub over a small area would be a concern but not that.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve seen worse

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wick in some pink Zap superglue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Scuffing on second hand carbon frame – worth worrying about?’ is closed to new replies.