Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sctrached stanctions
  • sprocker
    Free Member

Both on my domains and a friend 's van r both forks only a few weeks old done on trailer, just one leg on each anyone know somewhere to get it fixed and roughly how much.

tron
    Free Member

Fill them in with paint or nail varnish if it isn't too bad.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

New uppers, £150-200 fitted.

stumpyjon

How deep are the scratches? Remember the only issue with scratches is that dirt nand debris can get in more easily, if they're minor surface scratches they won't metter too much, deep gouges will be more of a problem. I went down the nail varnish route on my TALASs.

sprocker
    Free Member

The ones on the domains are not to bad but the vanr is through the gold coating and down to bare metal about half way down the stanction

alpin
    Free Member

lots of thin layers of nail varnish(you could try finding a colour that matches the anodizing – i should have done this on my lyriks, but didn't and now have a silver patch on the stanchion)

let the varnish dry before applying new layer – min 24h. apply until the scratch/hole is completely covered/over filled.

then using the finest wet'n'dry paper you can find slowing start sanding away the excess varnish until you have a smooth surface once again.

intermitantly check the surface whilst sanding using your finger nail; it picks up imperfections better than your fat thumb or finger.

i've done this several times to my forks after clumsily leaning the bike against a wall (most annoying) and after some lucky, rocky offs. optically the fork looks crap, functionally it's fine.

Cougar

both forks only a few weeks old

Take 'em back, then.

alpin
    Free Member

what if he's at fault for the damage? sounds to me like it occured during transport/loading……… "done on trailer"

Cougar

Ah, my bad, I missed that bit. As you were.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Ah, my bad, I missed that bit. As you were.

How else would stanctions get sctrached?

retro83
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member
    How deep are the scratches? Remember the only issue with scratches is that dirt nand debris can get in more easily, if they're minor surface scratches they won't metter too much, deep gouges will be more of a problem. I went down the nail varnish route on my TALASs.

Also any raised edges at all could wear down the seals.

My 3 month old RP23 had 3 absolutely tiny marks that could barely be felt with a fingernail rubbed over it. When I sent the shock to TFTuned to be Pushed, they opened it up and said the float fluid was jet black from the original blue, and the seals were ruined. 🙁 It's currently at Mojo having the stanchion replaced.

j-cru
    Free Member

Slow curing araldite, i think its called araldite precision, works well on forks, degrease area properly first tho.

jimr80
    Free Member

Retro,

how much are mojo charging for the new stanchion.
    i have a scratch that has ‘appeared’ on my rp23 and am weighing up my options.

retro83
    Free Member

jimr80 – Member
    Retro,

how much are mojo charging for the new stanchion.
    i have a scratch that has ‘appeared’ on my rp23 and am weighing up my options.

Only £30 and they were quick with it as well. Great service from both Mojo and TF Tuned.

batman11
    Free Member

Check out this months MBR there is a neat repair for this in there pg163 i think looks like it will work ok.

Bats.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sctrached stanctions’ is closed to new replies.