Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scroll Saws, which make?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Looking to buy a scroll saw to cut wooden letter, possibly 2″ thick. Lots on screwfix website but also some tidy ones on eBay. Anyone had any experience with this type of saw? What make should I look out for and what blades work best?

Thanks in advance

TheBrick
    Free Member

2″ might be too tick for a scroll saw, i’d be more tempted by a band saw and a narrow blade.

My mother has a jet one and it is fine on thin stuff, seems solid.

footflaps

Most of the Axminster / Jet etc are all the same, made in China and painted / badged differently depending on the UK supplier. They go through blades pretty quick compared with a band saw.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I have a sheppach sd1600 f from screw fix and it’s been fantastic over 2 years regular use.
    It’s Chinese but they all are.if your surname is shaikh get a hegner

womble72
    Free Member

A band saw.might not be ideal for letters requiring the inners cutting out as I can’t split the blade. Will have a look at the others mentioned. Thanks chaps

j40aja
    Free Member

If you can get a Hegner then that’s what I’d get. Scheppach are ok but you can get a Clarke one which is exactly the same but cheaper.

wwaswas

I wish my mum had a scroll saw.

project
    Free Member

If youre on or near wirral i have one for you to try.

JoeG
    Free Member

Buy and old/antique one form Craigslist or similar. They’re lots of heavy cast iron and can last forever if well cared for.

jemima
    Free Member

I bought one of the Woodstar ones off Screwfix and some Olson pinned and Hegner unpinned blades and am well happy with it. Have done lots of intricate work in 3 and 6 mm baltic birch ply and some bigger stuff in 19 mm marine ply. 19 mm was slow but plenty accurate – need to be careful not to bend the blade in that thickness and get non-square edges.
    The Woodstar one does look identical to Clarke/Record/everyothercheapone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scroll Saws, which make?’ is closed to new replies.