Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Screwed up my UST tyres & need the guru’s to help?
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

Bought a set of 819s years ago and just left them in the shed ( bitten by triathlon bug). Thought I should take the MTB out for a blast (to remove dust and cobwebs) so bunged a Conti Explorer (bad move) on the front, Vertical on the rear…no sealing ‘milk’ and went out… another bad move!

First rocky descent and the front pinch flatted (dinking the rim), rear was ok but needed pumping from time to time.

So, could anyone explain (without using jargon, coz I’m old and don’t have a clue what you guys are talkin about) which tyres I should go for…I’m guessing with stronger side walls?

I’ve been researching the sealant thing and it would seem I have to place sealant (I’ve bought ‘Spesialized’ version??) inside each tyre, rest it on it’s side…spin it over, spin it round ???????

What’s really worrying me it the pinch flat scenario, I mean arn’t UST supposed to end all that? I’ve lost all confidence with respect to hammering downhill… I don’t trust the UST system now.

A numbered list of ‘steps to do’ would be awesome…. Thx, & soz for it being so long a thread question 🙂

bikerbruce
    Free Member

you need the milk to work properly as it acts as a bead seal….
    i would recomend some swalbe racing ralphs.They are easiest to set up and i haven’t had a problem with them in over a year.
    there’s my advice hope it helps.
    bruce

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Bruce, thanks for that…do you think the Specialized stuff will be any good?

Cheers

timraven

I ran that combination for 2 years with no problems.
    Probably went down slowly without sealant and caused pinch flat.
    1. Put sealant in, blow up to about 40 psi.
    2. Spin slowly then roll and flip until sealant covers inside
    3. Go for short hundred yard swervy rid, make tyres flex basically.
    4. Ideally wait overnight, top up pressure and ride and ride etc 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

Were the Conti tyres you put on the UST version or normal ones? UST ones should have an air tight bead and usually also a beefier sidewall (at the least non-porous). I’d still say use some sealant though to deal with thorn punctures etc. Not sure about the Spesh sealant, they withdrew it from sale a while back for some safety reason but I guess fixed that if it’s back on sale, personally I use Stan’s (doesn’t dry out for ages and has latex bits in it to help seal bigger holes).

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hey, thanks all..some great tips. Do wiggle sell ‘Stans’?? I’ll google it.

Both tyres were ust, but the explorer seems quite thin in comp’n to the vert’l?? The pinch defo occurred whilst hammering down rock limestone path (Heading towards Monsal Head pub in the Peak if you know it)..I didnt have time to stop before the rim made contact with the rocks…gutted, but it’s only minor dink, not affected the sealing surface of the rim.

So thats a ‘Thumbs Up’ form all WRT the Ralphs??

Thanks again all 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure I’d recommend Ralphs if your riding area/style tears holes in a Conti UST (although ofc could just be a freak), Ralphs are pretty thin sidewalls (hence the low weight) although the UST version are a bit better. Might want to look at Maxxis LUST version (like the High Roller 2.35 LUST) as these are reinforced but you do pay a weight penalty (like 900g for the HR 2.35)

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Thanks Fuzzy,

Just been on ebay and there’s quite a few brands I recognise (form researching before)

Kenda Kharisma, Dreds, Karma
    Knobbly Nics
    Ralphs
    Maxiss Larsen, Rancheros

All look …erm..knobbly (I know nothing LOL)

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i live 1 min away from monsal head…therefore you shouldn’t have problems if i haven’t i ride that decent regularly,with out problems
    if your local.i can show you how to set them up.
    bruce

bigsi
    Free Member

bikerbruce – Member
    you need the milk to work properly as it acts as a bead seal….

Really ?

I always thought and have been told by various people who have been running Stans for years, certainly more than 1yr, that it was the fairy liquid that created the bead seal/seated the tyre properly which is why you can run tubeless without the solution in the tyres 😕

aP
    Free Member

With 819s and UST tyres you don’t need to put any juice/ milk/ whatever to make the system work. I used 819s with both Hutchinson Scorpion UST and Schwalbe Jimmy UST tyres for 3 years without any problems at all, but with Hutchinson sealant in which didn’t dry out in 3 years.
    The milk seals the porous sidewalls in UST ready/ Tubeless ready/ whatever tyres and I guess that the soapy water helps ghetto seating, but I can’t be arsed with all that as I’ve got a set of 819s and they’ve worked without any issues since 2005.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Again, thanks all for your input.

Hay aP, I’ll be taking you up on the offer of help regarding fitting; I’m currently ‘seated’ in Chesterfield…give you a shout when I’ve gathered all the bits.

Blimey, I really must have been doing something wrong then when I fitted them? Perhaps I didn’t put enough air in?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

You just need sealant and maybe more pressure. I’ve got 819’s too and without sealant ust tires can deflate. I’ve found the cheap Thai conti tires have decent sidewalls

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hi cynic-al (very good )

When you say cheap Thai Contis, I take it you mean Continental? I’m a bit put off TBH, after the front end ‘Hairy’ deflation :O

boobs

Did the tyre “pop” when you fitted it? Like a car tyre going on. If not it may not have been seated properly.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Sorry all for ‘bumping’ again…

boobs, now you come to mention it no I didn’t notice the said “Pop” until I was refitting the other day so you may very well be correct Sir.

Think I’ll research the tyres a bit more, don’t really fancy Contis now TBH (once bitten *roll*) – get some stan’s – whack the pressure up till it “pops” – deflate… try again.

Cheers all 🙂

P.S: I have extensive experience with Tub tyrs (road) if anyone requires help… and gels…ermm…and eating on the bike during long events….etc

🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Screwed up my UST tyres & need the guru’s to help?’ is closed to new replies.