• This topic has 54 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by imn.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Screwdrivers – whats good?
  • sv

Previously had some nice Stanley ones they eventually wore out but they dont make them like they used to. Last year bought a set of Halfords (I know) Professional Screwdrivers, seem to be made of cheese so what brand do a decent set?

Stoner
    Free Member

I hate buying screwdrivers. So many are shit nowadays.

My screwdriver box looks like an accident in Woolies Pick’n’Mix. I think the only ones that seem to have some guts to their edge are some older stanley flats. Everything else (draper esp) lose their teeth too quickly. I really must treat myself to a top notch set, so *tick*

oddjob
    Free Member

Very good question. There is no doubt that the old stanley ones with the red or blue handles were fantastic. I have some newer ones which are not too bad but I think that with screw drivers, more than many other things, you get what you pay for.

As my dad told me, don’t buy cheap tools, they’ll only break in the middle of what you’re doing and then you’re stuck.

joao3v16
    Free Member

My screwdriver box

you have a special box set aside only for screwdrivers ?

Kuco

I’ve got some Facom Protwist seem to do the job alright.

Stoner
    Free Member

you have a special box set aside only for screwdrivers ?

Well durr…

Screwdrivers, spanners, sockets, pliers, allen keys, drill bits…

sv

Yamoto YMT-572-2080K for a £10 – Autoexpress gave these a ‘Best Buy’.

scotsman
    Free Member
    Cougar

Excellent question. Seems to be the norm these days just to get cheap disposable bits.

I’ve got a flatblade that used to belong to my grandad, the handle is wooden and the shaft I think must’ve been forged in the fires of Mordor. it’s been used for driving screws, opening paint tins, impromptu chiselling, levering up floorboards, and it’s still in better shape than most of my ‘new’ screwdrivers which have been carefully looked after. It’ll probably outlast me.

Marko

I’m well impressed with these:

http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2citmdsp.pgm?pp_skmno=64672&ipadd=

As good as the Facom ones I have – and they’re good.

Hth
    Marko

mogrim

Now feeling deeply envious of Stoner’s setup. Though I bought a vice last week, felt all manly when I set it up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stoner = OCD

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, probably.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I hate buying screwdrivers. So many are shit nowadays.

Very true. Nowhere is the golden rule that cheap tools are a waste of time more applicable than in the case of screwdrivers. My only advice is buy expensive.

Woody
    Free Member

I tend to pick up old ones in markets that are in good condition as I’ve found that even expensive ones are rarely as good quality – same goes for other hand tools.

I work on the principal that if they’ve lasted this long, they will do me just fine.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Bought a set of Snap on screwdrivers about 15 years ago, one a ratchet with interchangable bits so used as allen keys and torx also. Never needed to buy another since. Jolly expensive initially but they will out last me. I was on the tools in factories and out and about as a service engineer till 3 years ago so they have all had plenty of ‘professional’ use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nowhere is the golden rule that cheap tools are a waste of time more applicable than in the case of screwdrivers

And chisels… 🙂

I have a set of Stanley screwdrivers…something like this, and they’re excellent:

Only thing I’d supplement it with is a stubby Pozi 2. Never underestimate the value of stubby screwdrivers 🙂

Also, a really long-handled flat blade – like around 15 inches long – is very handy for removing old screws in hinges (always tend to be slotted, and stiff) – I think there’s something to do with the length of the driver and the torque you apply…or something like that anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

dd – I have two of those (flat heads) and they are the only ones that havent gone cheesy on me.

Whats the pozi ones like?

bruneep

Stoner I hate you and your organised “den”

Man caves should be so dis organised that women do not want go in.

Stoner
    Free Member

“Man caves should be so dis organised have locks on the inside so that women cant do not want go in.”

FTFY 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pozi ones seem fine – though to be honest, Pozi work tends to be done by drill/driver – I have a Stanley stubby pozi in my handkit bag that’s been working away for years without a hitch.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Halfords Professional have a life time warranty don’t they. Take em back and get some new ones. I’ve had no bother with mine.

Stoner
    Free Member

same model as those stanley’s DD? (And why cant I find that model range on the stanley tools website?)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take em back and get some new ones.

While I think that’s a fine warranty, a mangled screw and driver that you need to get out there and then is a bit of a pain in the arse. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hate you Stoner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

same model as those stanley’s DD?

It’s actually this one:

(Screwfix, Jeeziz, how shit is it for buying single screwdrivers?!?)

(I think it might by the “Stanley Works” range…?)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hate you Stoner.

I hate him too but only because he stood me up after a promising a romantic pint in the Malverns 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

who stood who up?

tart.

expiscator
    Free Member

+1 for the Facom gear. Got a selection of their tools and seem have done me well

dooosuk
    Free Member

While I think that’s a fine warranty, a mangled screw and driver that you need to get out there and then is a bit of a pain in the arse.

If you use the right driver head you shouldn’t mangle a screw head. A simple/cheap impact driver will remove the screw if you make a hash of it though.

I put the blame more on the cheap metal screws, than the drivers myself.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I put the blame more on the cheap metal screws, than the drivers myself.

Tru dat. 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Full disclosure – I work for Stanley. In fact I used to work on screwdrivers so could talk about them all day, but will stick to the facts…

The range pictured above is the FatMax range – you can see the set options here:

http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/category/147221

The majority of failures we saw were due to the wrong screwdriver being used. Buy a good and comprehensive set and use the right size.

If you want to pry, chisel, thump and open tins of paint, consider the demo driver range!

http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/category/147255

Stoner
    Free Member

ah – I was on the .com site!

Right then GS – what chance of a bulk buy discount for STW then 🙂

Cougar

I work for Stanley.

I’d love to hear a recommendation for a range within the brand, then.

My findings with both Stanley and Draper are that they used to be solid, reliable brand names, but these days seem to produce both good quality tools and cheap crap, which makes it difficult to trust implicitly when buying.

Apologies if I’m wrong, but that’s my experiences.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have quite a bit of stanley fatmax stuff now (stocked by my bui
    lders merchant) and it’s been pretty good stuff. Hammer, lump hammer, those two screwdrivers. Id happily get more as and when…

hughjardon
    Free Member

Is it wrong that I’m strangely aroused by Stoner’s set up!!!

It’s how I imagine my garage looking, sadly mine looks like an electrical store on Tottenham High St 🙁

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Like anything, quality relates to price. We have several price points and do cater for the cheaper end of the scale with basic product.

FatMax is the sub-brand for tools deemed good enough for Pro and Trade – solid, reliable and good quality.

FatMax XL or Xtreme is the top tier, high quality, best in class.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like anything, quality relates to price. We have several price points and do cater for the cheaper end of the scale with basic product.

This, really, is what I find with all hand tools – personally, I like Stanley’s more expensive stuff and I know that if I buy the Fat Max (or XL) – I won’t be buying it twice. Their FAT Max Tape Measures are the dogs. Mine has something like a 4 metre hang out before bending…you’d be surprised how handy this can be sometimes 🙂

mos

Stanley Yankee 131 for real men, everything else is gay, Fact!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mine has something like a 4 metre hang out before bending…you’d be surprised how handy this can be sometimes

Like this?!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcOVo3uBBOM[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Screwdrivers – whats good?’ is closed to new replies.