Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Screen protectors- so many choices!
  • Ambrose

New phone- so I need a screen protector. Any recommendations? It’s a Sony Xperia FWIW.

deadkenny
    Free Member

so I need a screen protector

You do?

Most phones have toughened and fairly scratch proof glass these days. Except iPhones which seem to crack all the time judging by the amount of “where can I replaced cracked iPhone screen” posts I see about 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I could offer you only one tip for the future screen protector would be it.

Ambrose

@ ernie- shades of Baz Luhrman?

@ dk- yup, I need one. I lead a mucky lifestyle.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

They seem to be much of a muchness. I bought some posh ones from 3M or something, and some with a proper anti glare coating. Despite being stupidly expensive, they seem no better.

Just buy any you know stick properly, they’re just all PET film.

CountZero

Most phones have toughened and fairly scratch proof glass these days. Except iPhones which seem to crack all the time judging by the amount of “where can I replaced cracked iPhone screen” posts I see about

Probably because the owners of all the other species of smartphone I see with smashed screens don’t care enough about them to worry, and I have seen lots, especially Samsung.
    I’ve always used screen protectors, because even toughened glass will scratch it you get sand in your pockets, or put it down on a gritty/sandy surface. Even keys can do it.
    I’ve got a toughened glass one on my iP6+, which was cheap, about £7-ish, is vey slippery in use, and doesn’t compromise function. It doesn’t go right to the edge, but that’s fine, the phone’s in an Otterbox, with the useless built-in screen protector ripped out.
    Google glass screen protectors for your phone, you’ll get a bunch of hits, and they’re really worth getting.
    Just be really careful about getting everything spotless before applying; tiny specs of dust or fibre really show up!
    Get it square, put tape along one edge to hold firmly in place, get the glass and underside of the protector free of dust, get it at an angle then carefully pull the protective film away while it’s almost touching the phone, that way there’s much less chance of crap getting between the two.
    Apart from the edges, you can’t tell my phone even has a protector in place.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=glass+screen+protector+z1&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=38731840226&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9417502569969497907&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_zbbd9ziq0_b
    Cheap as…

jam-bo

Do screen protectors stop smashed/cracked screens? Or just scratches?

I’ve never bothered and never had an issue.

lunge

I just use a cheap glass one from the guy with a stall in the local shopping centre, £8 each, seem to work ok in that I’ve cracked 2 without the phone screen breaking.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I find screen protectors and cases akin to having a hot girlfriend and putting a bag over her head.
    You only keep them for a year or two, if theyre knackered and showing signs of wear replace them.

robdob
    Free Member

I find screen protectors and cases save me hundreds of pounds of damage to my £700 phone and helps me get the best price when I sell it on 2 years later!!

I got one of the glass screen protectors for my new iPhone and it’s really good. Much easier to put on than the old plastic film type ones too.

GrahamS

I honestly just get them from Poundland. 😀

Two for a quid and they come with a little polishing cloth and a plastic card to smooth out the air bubbles.

Work perfectly on my iPhone which lives in the pocket of my jeans.
    Pretty much invisible once applied.

mrjmt
    Free Member

How strange, I just fitted one of these this morning to my new xperia z3 compact.

Went on loads easier than the film type ones, was cheap enough and most importantly it comes with a cover for the front and back, so stops the back getting scratched when you put it down on stuff!

I’m sure you get screen protectors from Sony with new phones (mine came with them) but they’re just the normal film type and aren’t that easy to apply. The glass ones like the one i’ve linked above are a million times* easier to put on with no bubbles / dust etc.

*estimation

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve had two of the cheap glass protectors crack randomly and made me think the phone was cracked! Crap

Ambrose

Mrjmt- thanks a million for that 🙂

CountZero

I find screen protectors and cases akin to having a hot girlfriend and putting a bag over her head.
    You only keep them for a year or two, if theyre knackered and showing signs of wear replace them.

Eh? What, the girlfriend? 😯

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I use those glass protectors too and have been applying the thin film ones for years for my girlfriend who apparently has pockets made of sandpaper.

Usually ‘bubbles’ are caused by a minute speck of dust or similar holding the film off the surface. Clean the screen with isopropanol wipe, float them on with a few drops of soapy water and squeegee out to get it 100% inclusion free and invisible.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

zero>both

Ambrose

wysiwyg- are you in your ‘special’ place at the moment?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Screen protectors- so many choices!’ is closed to new replies.