Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scratching a steel roadbike itch
  • spawnofyorkshire

My current commuter is an all alloy Giant TCX2 c.2012
    It’s a pretty stiff, unforgiving frame and fork so I don’t ever feel like doing big miles on it.
    I’ve got a few nice components I’ve upgraded over time and wouldn’t mind swapping all the good bits to a different frame and rebuilding the Giant as a hack bike for my mate

I’ve a desire to go steel for it, i run a steel hardtail MTB and love the feel. Plus i love the classic road bike look. If it’s a compliant alloy frame though i’d be fine with that as long as it looks good.
    Wanting a comfy ride as much as anything else and my preference is to run 28mm tyres, even if that forgoes mudguards

Any suggestions of a cheap frameset i could go for? I’ve seen the Ribble 525 but they don’t have my size (56cm)

Del

shame you’re not after a 54. i’ve a felt 4130 i’d let go for cheap(ish). road just not my thing.

RustySpanner

Spa Audax is a nice frame – rides beautifully.

Genesis Equilibrium looks nice and rides well.

dickie
    Free Member

YGM re Genesis Equilibrium 56cm frame & parts.

slimjim78
    Free Member

If you can source a frame with 853 main tubes, you’ll love the extra weight saving and general sorted feel.

scandal42
    Free Member

As I posted a while ago, I just got a Charge Plug 5 frame which uses Tange Prestige steel from Ebay for £129.99 (transition bikes)

Last time I looked they had stock left.

The full bike came with 28mm rubber so it’s clearly good for that.

jwt
    Free Member

Hi Del,
    I’ve been looking for a steel road bike in a 54cm (and already have a Felt in a 54cm), but whereabouts are you and what is cheap(ish)?
    Regards
    Jono

gringo

Scandal42, do you have a link for those frames on ebay please?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look on Planet-X, there’s an 853 prototype with 6800 groupset for £999.

Doesn’t look very ‘classic’ though, more like a sportive bike.

The new Holdsworths OTOH look gorgeous (IMHO).

nickhart
    Free Member

I’m enjoying a cotic escapade after possibly 20+ years of nothing but mtb’s
    I love it’s braking capability and to me it’s fun and comfy and everything I wanted (including thru axle front and hydraulic brakes). Rear sliding dropouts are an acquired taste and can cause mutterings when changing tyres or getting the wheel out.
    Plus it’s pretty loud.

spawnofyorkshire

So it now turns out going to buy Dickie’s Genesis frameset off him

I’m so weak and can’t help myself 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get yourself on the LFGSS forum and put a WTD ad up.

Nice Rourke here https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/281975

scandal42
    Free Member

Here you go Gringo

Charge Frame

gringo

Thankyou!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers Scandal, I’ve just bought one too.

scandal42
    Free Member

I think they should really give me commission, I think I’m partly responsible for quite a few of those frames being sold, not least the one I have at home 🙂

kamenev
    Free Member

I’ve also got one of those lovely charge plug frames too! Very quick delivery. Add to it those nice kaffenback forks for £19.99 from PX. Mine arrived today.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have an Equilibrium, the 725 one.

I thought it had the lovely steel feel but it turned out most of it was the titanium seatpost I was using – swapped to a Deda carbon one and it is much more punishing on the backside.

I only use it on the trainer now but I would probably go to the Ritchey if I were to upgrade.

Bregante

Sorry I know that this doesn’t fulfill the cheap criteria but I’m quietly pleased with how it’s turned out..

Just a few more weeks and I’ll actually be able to ride it hopefully.

spawnofyorkshire

@Bregante
    I’ve been lusting after one of those Ritchey frames since Hora’s thread. The Genesis was also on my radar so i’m getting quite excited about getting hold of it later and building it up

bob_summers

Clubmate put 20,000km a year on a Ritchey Logic and it coped admirably for two seasons until it cracked at BB last week; It’d be on my shortlist (also love the Condor and the Genesis)

spawnofyorkshire

20,000km a year

That’s 5 years for me!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scratching a steel roadbike itch’ is closed to new replies.