Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Scratches on ripping CDs
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

I'm ripping some of my old (rare!) Cds and some (one in particular) was unplayable on a CD player. I read that putting furniture polish on it can fill the scratches and make it better. It is better but not fully playable on a CD without skipping etc,

Now when I try to rip it, there are major crackles and noise on some sections of the audio. Any idea how to get iit out?

C

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Silicone based spray works , back to black car interior stuff n that.
    Make sure you wipe the excess off tho as a disc spinning at speeds approaching a zillion miles an hour WILL chuck the stuff everywhere inside yer cdp.

My mate used the stuff for his latex fetishwear and it worked a treat. 😛

da funk

pennine
    Free Member

OT ChrisE: Depending on how a beginner gets on, I could be passing your place tomorrow Chris. Although I might introduce them to cake at Feizor first 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon_g

EAC will either get a good copy (with several passes if necessary) or at least tell you it can't be done:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Flaperon

Brasso can recover an unreadable disk. Very carefully polish to the outside, rinse, and dry thoroughly.

Would strongly recommend against using silicone. It's an excellent insulator and migrates around components. Ribbon connectors etc are a friction fit and you don't really want a layer of silicone over the conductive surfaces.

Kahurangi

EAC will either get a good copy (with several passes if necessary) or at least tell you it can't be done:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

THIS

EAC will be able to attempt different error-correction methods and even ignore the hardware error-correction to try and give you something playable, if it can't be perfect. It can take a while to learn and can take a long while to rip, but is the business.

Then try it in a different CD-drive.

Do this before attempting anything with the physical CD surface.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Thanks I'll try the software.

Pennine we'll probably be in, doing up the lounge……

Should get out m'self on Sunday. Recovering slowly from injury

C

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Scratches on ripping CDs’ is closed to new replies.