• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scratched stanchions on coil forks
  • Taz

On reviewing my forks this morning (Fox Van 36’s) one of my stanchions is badly scratched near the bottom after a very muddy day at Innerleithen yesterday.

I won’t be able to get them to Mojo for a few weeks. Will they be ok to use in the meantime?

Also will they be covered by warranty as they are about 7 months old (guessing no)?

Thanks
    Taz

cynic-al
    Free Member

why would they be covered by warrnty?

All that may happen is dirt getting inside. Many repair this with nail varnish and that’s what I would do

justa
    Free Member

should be ok being coil – if they were air than its obviously different

as al says some nail polish or that nice laquer that you get with car touch up paint is good..

jam-bo

file off any burrs first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

don’t see how air forks would be any different-any pressure sealing is inside the stanchion.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My Van36 got badly scratched when a mate knocked my bike over with his pressure hose. I stripped them down, cleaned them up, filled the scratch with epoxy and then smoothed it off with the finest wet and dry I could lay my hands on. This method has worked with both coil and air forks and I’ve had no bother with them since.

Mojo will just offer to replace the crown, stanchions and steerer. You’ve nothing to lose by trying the above (well, maybe a set of seals)

nasher
    Free Member

Scratched stanchions will not affect any air forks as the pressure is held with internal seals ina c artridge.

The external seals are fod mud and grime not air.

Now you said that your stanchions were scratched by mud and grime? and since its fox it means your bushings and stanchions have worn and mojo will not warranty them.

Common major fault on fox forks and mojo say that you should service them every 15 hours…. a bit ridicilous really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nice assumptions there nasher

Taz

THnaks guys.

I will try the nail varnish and super fine sand paper for now.

Will talk to Mojo tomorrow and see what the warranty position is. Not hopeful but worth asking

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scratched stanchions on coil forks’ is closed to new replies.