Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Scratch resistant water bottle – is there such a thing?
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Evening all,

Even though the road bike season is over for me due to salt nasties, I can’t help but keep the modding / pimping & pointless spending on it! 🙂

Bought a rather nice S-Works Carbon cage for the beast.

In the interest of wanting to keep it looking good I wondered if anyone makes a scratch resistant bottle?

Its just, my old cage & bottle now looking a bit tatty – just canny be having that! 🙂

Thanks all,

Alan.

bikeneil
    Free Member

You’ll still get the cage scratched. Just buy a duplicate bike and hang it on the wall if you’re that bothered about the odd scratch :mrgreen:

cyclistm
    Free Member

Just throw your bottle into the hedge whenever you drain it and use a new one each time you go out. Very europro

nuke

Vincero design bottle with the magnet…it can’t get scratched as its only attached at the indented magnet area of the bottle

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Just buy a duplicate bike and hang it on the wall if you’re that bothered about the odd scratch

Good idea!

Just need to persuade the wife……

bikeneil
    Free Member

Can’t help you with that one 😕

Edric64
    Free Member

Bottles are throw away ,as they get manky just buy some new ones .There are always offers on

brakes
    Free Member

Vincero design bottle with the magnet…it can’t get scratched as its only attached at the indented magnet area of the bottle

BUT it will get scratched bouncing down the road as it falls off each time you ride over a pebble. IME.

maccruiskeen

If only there was some way of strapping water your back and drinking it through a hose 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

^ on a road bike?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Andy,

What happens if you do that on a road bike? Do you explode or something? Or does the extra lift from the camelbak make you fly?

Just wondering….

somafunk

BUT it will get scratched bouncing down the road as it falls off each time you ride over a pebble. IME.

Not in my experience at all, got two fitted to my hardtail and two fitted to my tripster roadie/cross thing and never lost a bottle yet despite riding down very rooty/rocky descents.

When i used to ride wi normal bottle cages/bottles i’d lose them all the time, i don’t ride wi a hydration pack btw.

The Vincero set-up is a novel design and very functional piece of kit in my opinion.

brakes
    Free Member

seriously? I gave up on mine. the bottle, when it’s full at least, would fall off if you hit any significant bump at speed. was really disconcerting when it nearly took out someone riding close behind.
    shame because I think it’s a great idea.
    maybe mine was a dud?

somafunk

Yeah….. seriously – I’ve never dropped a bottle yet despite banging and crashing down some decent Galloway hills, and round dalbeattie stanes etc, so far i’ve only used the 500ml bottles on my mtb as they generally last a few hours or i can always top them up from a decent stream or hill spring, i’ve never tried the larger 750ml bottles off road yet but they’ve worked fine on the road bike without any movement or suicidal leaps from the mount.

Mine snap into place wi reassuring “thunk” and need a tug to free them out of the mount so perhaps the moulding around the metal disc in your bottle was a bit dodgy, i know they have changed the bottle design from the original red capped version.

EDIT : I’ve just checked my bottles as i have 4 of the original 500ml red capped bottles and 2 new 500ml + 2 new 750ml versions with the black capped improved valve system (much improved) and the metal disc insert on the bottles is far more pronounced on the new versions so i guess it makes better contact wi the frame mount/magnet? – give the new bottles a try before you write it off

Perhaps i’ve been lucky or maybe i ride like a big mincing wuss but i’ve had nae probs wi them at all.

amedias
    Free Member

do people seriously worry about this kind of thing?

scratched bottles…. 😯

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

scratched bottles….

TBH its more the cages I don’t want ruined.

My title is a bit crap really, probably should of read:

Which bottle is less likely to ruin my carbon cage….

bikeneil
    Free Member

A hydration pack will keep your cage looking like new.

project
    Free Member

Stretch large inner tube over bottle, remember to cut off valve or it want fit,

brakes
    Free Member

EDIT : I’ve just checked …the original 500ml red capped bottles… new 750ml versions with the black capped … metal disc insert on the bottles is far more pronounced on the new versions so i guess it makes better contact wi the frame mount/magnet? – give the new bottles a try before you write it off

I might do, thanks. I have a 500 ml red/ oranges one.

jim25

Really!!

Do you get worried when your tyres get dirty??!

amedias
    Free Member

scratched bottles….
    TBH its more the cages I don’t want ruined.

My title is a bit crap really, probably should of read:

Which bottle is less likely to ruin my carbon cage….

thanks for the clarification Alan, please find my amended post below:

do people seriously worry about this kind of thing?

scratched bottle cages…. 😯

😉

wl
    Free Member

You’re married?!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Take an hour of your time to coat the cage in helicopter tape 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

A hydration pack will keep your cage looking like new.

Yes but why would anyone really want to ride with a rucksack on their back unless they had to. Oh of course you need to stuff it full of crap you’ll never use.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Jesus wept.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Scratch resistant water bottle – is there such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.