Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scrapping cars – what's the score?
  • davosaurusrex

My brother’s seemingly indestructible 1994 Nissan Micra has finally failed it’s MOT and needs to be scrapped. He’s away with work so I need to sort it out. What’s the score with scrapping cars these days? I can’t imagine there’s any value in the parts for a car that has nearly disappeared from the roads. I know there was some value in scrap metal when the Chinese economy was booming a few years back but don’t think that’s the case now. Should I be expecting to pay to get it scrapped or is it likely to be free?

My kids are gutted their Uncle’s “old-fashioned car” with the wind-up windows is no more! One of those things like cassette tapes that most kids these days never knew existed I guess. I remember when all this was fields….

Twodogs

can’t imagine there’s any value in the parts for a car that has nearly disappeared from the roads

You might be surprised…someone went to the trouble of stealing my wife’s trusty 1988 Micra a couple of years ago!

parkesie
    Free Member

Take to scrap yard see what they will give for it fill out and post the relevant v5 bits to avoid getting in the shit when the car turns up being used on the road again.

davosaurusrex

Yeah the nearest scrappy is owned by a notorious local “travelling” family so I’m wise to that one!

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s still a runner you should be able to get something for it, best might be to ring a nearby scrappie. If you can drive it in they’ll (IME) part with £25-50 for it without a struggle. Minimal effort should at least mean you don’t have to pay for it to be taken away. I needed to get rid of a car quickly a wee while ago (to avoid renewing insurance, SORNing etc) and got rid via CarTakeBack, collected the car and paid £50 IIRC. There are a few others you can just arrange on the web too.

fill out and post the relevant v5 bits

Yeah, for sure, but you can just do it online too.

tomhoward

We rang a local scrapper, he came and picked the car up, gave us £45 for the privilege. He’d have given us £70 if we’d driven it to him, however, no mot, or exhaust, made that somewhat of a no go.

Just make sure you fill out the the v5 and send it off.

johnners
    Free Member

Also, webuyanycar.com offered me £8.63!

akeys001

ebay, no reserve, very fair description, even if it goes for a £1 it’s job done…

CheesybeanZ

Local Fire brigade or college might have a use for it .

nedrapier

try we buyanycar. we got £700 for a non-running mondeo estate. Checked the MOT, they didn’t get it on the road again.

Or ebay.

Sandwich

There’s an online scrap company that usually offers a good bit more than the locals. My boss sold his ratty old Jag estate for £100 more than the locals were offering. Do read the T’s & C’s carefully before signing on the dotted line. If I remember correctly he’s spent some time on the phone questioning some of the wording before agreeing the deal.

bruneep

Unless its been de polluted, all oils fluids etc removed and checked for sharps and comes a document stating this our FS dont take and oh you’ll need to arrange uplift and disposal as well.

Local scrappy used to make a tidy sum supplying cars to us, due to cut backs we no longer get any, yet we are supposed to train cutting cars up but without any actual cars. 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

On the job training bruneep. Tis all I hear these days.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’d pop it on ebay, starting bid of whatever the scrappy would give. I’m always surprised by what seems to have a weird cult following (1984 Meastro 1.3 in our village for example, my dad had an MG Maestro when I was I was little and it was brilliant but never thought I would see someone go to the time and expense of restoring a 1.3,,,)

simonbowns
    Free Member

what’s it failed on?

There’s a thriving Micra forum and several Facebook groups. They get used for Autograss racing too, so probably worth something to someone.

https://www.micra.org.uk/forums/

m0rk
    Free Member

Just stick ‘retro’ and ‘project’ into the eBay title – there’s a bizarrely large following for K11 Micra’s

Sundayjumper

+1 for ebay.

finephilly
    Free Member

I think scrap rate is about £80/ton. Micra’s aren’t much in demand for parts. You’d be lucky to get £20 or someone to take it away.

davosaurusrex

Went this morning, collected and got £50 quid. None of us could be bothered to mess around with tyre kickers and eBay timewasters in the hope of another £100 or so

muckytee
    Free Member

I was quoted £60 to scrap my micra. With it being a 1994 model, I’d list it on gumtree or ebay as spares or repair, there is a fair bit of love for these cars especially the older ones, depending on mileage you will probably get more for it.

Where are you based btw I might take some bits off you also..

If you list the spec and mileage, colour..

davosaurusrex

You’re just that bit too late muckytee, soz

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scrapping cars – what's the score?’ is closed to new replies.