Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scrapping cars in 1965, throwing away the copper and aluminium.
  • pictonroad

Fascinating video, especially the car scrapping, ‘firing’ the cars and disposing of the copper to save the steel!

you tube link

squirrelking
    Free Member

One day we’ll be mining old landfill, god only knows whats in there…

But its funny, people watch that and probably laugh at the waste and pollution being caused yet this still goes on to this day, its just not down the road any more.

maxtorque

There was a LOT less Aluminium and Copper in an old car mind you!

Amazing that a car could sit for 5 weeks on the street in London before it was removed. You get about 25 secs today before it got lifted 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

Loved the “burning out” and the bloke doing the hot cutting in his shirt sleeves!

ninfan
    Free Member

one day we’ll be mining old landfill

True dat!

andyl
    Free Member

That looked a lot older than 50 years ago. Was the UK really like that just 15 years before the 80’s! I guess it is just like modern day Yorkshire though… 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

One day we’ll be mining old landfill,

OT but – when gold was discovered in large quantities in the Yukon, Carson City became one of the richest places in the world. It just didn’t have much money so transactions were carried out using gold and scales. The gold didn’t last and Carson City soon became a lot poorer. During the depression, buildings were ripped apart to allow people to “mine” for the gold dust that was dropped during the boom times.
    There’s very little new in the world.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

“First the car has to be fired”…! 😯

😆

footflaps

Apparently gold exists in sewage in higher density than some commercial mines…

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/23/gold-in-faeces-worth-millions-save-environment

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just for giggle I did a little investigation on the location of the car at the beginning of that video:
    [video]https://youtu.be/-P-f1mssUeI?t=15[/video]
    And this is it today …. snappy snaps!

GrahamS

Enjoyed that – cheers OP.

Liked the two guys at 7:20 just casually lobbing armchairs into a fiery hole of death at floor level.

You’d only lose your footing or get snagged on an armchair once 😯

And I reckon that knee height “safety” chain is more of a hazard than a help too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scrapping cars in 1965, throwing away the copper and aluminium.’ is closed to new replies.