Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Scrap car (non-starter), no insurance, parked on road…???
  • nedrapier

Yup, it’s mine. Everything was in place for a smooth transition. New car picked up shortly after insurance transferred from old car, shortly after that, I found out there’d been a mix up between scrappy collection company and the agency, and they can’t pick up till Tuesday. (Yes I’m cross and so is my wife, she’s spent the day at home, waiting.)

So it’s on the public road, uninsured for 4 days. It doesn’t go. Do I need to spend £40 on temporary insurance?

Thanks for any help/advice…

Drac

Yes you should but some naughty people might risk it as they would with an MOT.

maccruiskeen

personally – so long as I had it confirmed with the collection folk that it was being collected I’d expect leeway if there was any bother. A fine would be in the region of £60(IIRC) so £40 of insurance isn’t really protecting you from much in that respect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you have a drive – tow / push it onto there perhaps.

FWIW it wouldnt bother me for 4 days.

duckman

Unless you sorn it, you will get an automatic fine from DVLA. (I speak from experience,mine was on the drive)

trail_rat
    Free Member

not in 4 days he wont

Drac

Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
    The rules for insuring vehicles are called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’. They mean that if you’re the registered keeper of a vehicle it must be insured or declared as off the road (SORN).

If not, you could:

get a fixed penalty of £100
    have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
    face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000

butcher

Did the law on insurance just come in recently? Don’t see why a car should be insured if it’s sitting doing nothing.

nedrapier

A fine for no insurance is £60?

obvs no points possible if i’m not driving it. SORN isn’t an issue, it’s taxed, just not insured.

Do I have a drive? Nope. I do have a little bit of garden, but I’d have to push it up the steps and down the side of the house, and i’m pretty sure it wouldn’t fit.

nedrapier

Cheers drac. ****-sticks.

jon1973
    Free Member

Don’t see why a car should be insured if it’s sitting doing nothing.

I think it just means the police don’t have to catch you using the car do you for having njo insurance. If it’s on the road, it needs insurance. I think it’s quite a recent thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

it came in last year

i was 14 days out of sorning one of my vehicles – no fine – but i noticed and sorned it.

the problem is – its the DVLA – that could mean anything from we are under attack to the baked potatoes are ready.

Don’t see why a car should be insured if it’s sitting doing nothing.

I think it just means the police don’t have to catch you using the car do you for having njo insurance. If it’s on the road, it needs insurance. I think it’s quite a recent thing.

some of us have drives and the upper class amongst us have garages they can get their cars into.

Edric64
    Free Member

If its taxed doesnt look abandoned and on a quiet road I wouldnt worry and just wait until the scrappy can collect it

maccruiskeen

A fine for no insurance is £60?

Think I’m out of date, looks like its £100. Still in the balance of probabilities I’d not want to spend £40 to guard against a very low probability of being fined £100.

sandwicheater

Am i missing something, the car isn’t yours any more, it’s the property of the garage/scrap company when you exchanged it for your new car so not your problem.

I’d not do anything, a few days is fine and I think you get a warning letter from DVLA first to check it’s not been sold etc.

Drac

Did the law on insurance just come in recently? Don’t see why a car should be insured if it’s sitting doing nothing.

No not recent at all and it’s to stop people saying “Oh but I never use it.”

nickjb
    Free Member

With no insurance you run the risk of having the car confiscated and crushed. Would that solve the problem? 😀

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8247837/Cars-to-be-seized-and-crushed-in-insurance-crackdown.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

stick it on ebay/gumtree – collection only

stick a BIN of what ever the scrappy offered you.

nedrapier

Good idea, t_r. Should have done that before, but we’re away for the weekend.
    Think I might suck up the insurance and stick with the same company. They’ve offered £40 more than anyone else.

Effing livid with them, though. Deep breath…

nedrapier

Am i missing something, the car isn’t yours any more, it’s the property of the garage/scrap company when you exchanged it for your new car so not your problem.

I’d not do anything, a few days is fine and I think you get a warning letter from DVLA first to check it’s not been sold etc.

I bought it from one place, and arranged for another outfit to pick up the old one.

project
    Free Member

Firemen on strike in a few hours, make sure its far enough from your house if somebody does set it on fire, unlikely but possible.

Also other vehicle collection companies are available.

butcher

I can see the sense in it.

But it’s a bit, oh, we’ll fine you just in case you might break the law 😕

Drac

Firemen on strike in a few hours, make sure its far enough from your house if somebody does set it on fire, unlikely but possible.

Mr Irrelevant.

maccruiskeen

I can see the sense in it.

But it’s a bit, oh, we’ll fine you just in case you might break the law

There are all sorts of conditions relating to car ownership and operation though. It seems weird to insure a vehicle you don’t intend to drive (although its difficult to prove a lack of intention), but its weirder that I can buy a big lump of steel, plastic and glass and just leave it places indefinitely. I’d to apply for a council permit to leave a skip on the street outside my house for a week but I can leave a car outside anyone else’s house for 364.5 days a year (then nip off and get and MOT and tax disk and leave it there for another year).

Isn’t it nuts that we can just leave these things lying around on the road but nothing else.

The insurance rule it to try and make sure the cars on the road are actually being used for something and discourage abandonment.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yes, now bend over like a good boy.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It IS recent. There was never any requirement for a car to be insured. The only law in place was the entirely sensible one that said drivers must be insured for the vehicle they are driving.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

In addition to the continuous insurance/SORN stuff above if the car is on the road then it need to be insured, if its not insured then you risk a fixed penalty of £300 and six points – if they decide to go to court with it then it could be £5000 and a ban!
    There is quite a high chance of a traffic car picking up your number plate on its ANPR camera as it drives past as well.

maccruiskeen

The only law in place was the entirely sensible one that said drivers must be insured for the vehicle they are driving.

but that car would have to be taxed if there driving it, and to be taxed it would need to be insured on an annual policy. So it was implicit in the law previously, all the change does is close the loophole of people only having the vehicle insured they day they tax it and then having that insurance expire or be cancelled.

maccruiskeen

if its not insured then you risk a fixed penalty of £300 and six points – if they decide to go to court with it then it could be £5000 and a ban!

that would be driving without insurance, not leaving a car in street unattended

jambalaya
    Free Member

Whats going to happen in 4 days, @Rockhopper car details picked up by passing camera ? Come on surely not.

You could put a note on it saying “scrap awaiting collection” but that might draw attention to it. Unless you’re parking it opposite Buckingham Palace on Double Yellows nothing is going to happen !

Fin
    Free Member

Put a car cover over it if you have one.
    They won’t go looking under a cover to look at the plates – the police are far to busy or lazy to do that.
    I wouldn’t have thought a sensible officer would be bothered as long as it wasn’t obstructing/hazardous or being driven.

toppers3933
    Free Member

All depends where it is. If it’s a quiet road and it’s outside your house just sorn it and leave it where it is. No one is going to bother I’m 4 days. You know it’s being collected. If it’s a busy road then it either needs shifting or insuring.

TheGingerOne

The insurance is not just regarding you driving it though. We had a car ‘off the road’ that was parked in a private parking space which is under a couple of flats. There was an electrical fault with the car and it eventually started to smoulder. If that fire taken hold and spread to the car next to it or the flats above, you would have wanted any damage it caused to be covered by insurance. Unlikely to happen in the road in the next 4 days in your circumstance, but it is a reason as to why insurance is worthwhile even if you are not driving it.

project
    Free Member

Mr Irrelevant.

Like above insurance covers you for accidents, however caused, perhaps somebody takes the handbrake off and it rolls down hill and hits someone or something, or in certain parts of the uk, there are silly people going round just torching cars for the sake of it, and causing lots of damage to houses the cars are parked in front of, and with a limitted responce from the fire service over the next few days, best to be careful.

Mr Relevant.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fin wins

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Unless you sorn it, you will get an automatic fine from DVLA. (I speak from experience,mine was on the drive)

Not for no insurance you won’t.

butcher

The insurance is not just regarding you driving it though. We had a car ‘off the road’ that was parked in a private parking space which is under a couple of flats. There was an electrical fault with the car and it eventually started to smoulder. If that fire taken hold and spread to the car next to it or the flats above, you would have wanted any damage it caused to be covered by insurance. Unlikely to happen in the road in the next 4 days in your circumstance, but it is a reason as to why insurance is worthwhile even if you are not driving it.

You could say the same about your bin, but you don’t insure that too. We’re not even forced to have house insurance. If your house caught fire from next door’s house, that would come off you own insurance, would it not? That’s what insurance is for.

troglodyte
    Free Member

Not for no insurance you won’t.

Wrong. If the car isnt insured it must be SORNed, if its not you can be fined, unless you are being pedantic that it wont be the DVLA that issues the fine, but the government.

dannybgoode

I am reading the OP wrong but it is parked on the road so cannot be SORNed.

To be SORNed it must be kept on private property.

If it is on a public road and the police see it uninsured and untaxed they *could* cause you grief…

Cheers

Danny B

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Really, I thought that was for tax. Pretty unlikely in 4 days still.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Scrap car (non-starter), no insurance, parked on road…???’ is closed to new replies.