Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Scout hill walking assessment?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Anyone done the Scout hill walking assessment thing? I'm doing it this weekend at Yr Hafod, and looking for any clues and suggestions.

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't touch the kids

LabWormy

Yes.

If you are a regular hill walker you should have no problems.
    We did a bit of first aid, bit of weather, bit of crowd control, map reading, use of compass, equipment etc.

Our trainers were quite hot on techniques for measuring distance on the ground (pacing, time at a constant pace). Spent hours walking from sheep fold to sheep fold on a bearing and paces.

And did a night navigation session.

The scouts, for their own good reasons, leave the assessment to the county, so I am sure there is variation across the country.

There were people on my course who had hardly been on a hill and passed fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    luked2
    Free Member

Thanks. Walking on a bearing from one place to another sounds kind of dull though.

LabWormy

Got to remember that many a leader has got little previous experiance and has just joined to make sure one of their kids gets through a section, so the courses have to cover from beginners to experianced mountain goats.

I'm not sure I gained anything from it oher than the knowledge that I knew a lot more than many of the other leaders.

If you know your way around the general & summer sections of Langmuir (I think there is a newer edition), then you will have no problems.

It is nothing as complete as doing a MLTB, and you also only get signed off for areas that you have knowledge of.

Again all this is based on Northumberland scouts.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed walking around on bearings is no fun, but you wouldn't believe the number of people who struggle to do it, and who would be hopelessly lost if the fog came down etc.

anjs
    Free Member

Yr Hafod had my first proper winter mountain experiences there magical place if the snows down.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Scout hill walking assessment?’ is closed to new replies.