• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by paton.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Scottoiler UBS
  • stanleigh
    Free Member

Right , I’ve been using Scottoiler Ultimate Bike Solution on my winter bike for a year or two now , and it’s bloody brilliant on rides where you just want to hose off the bike & relube , not messing around with degreasers & detergents.

Challenge , it no longer appears to be on sale anywhere .

Question , does anybody know of a product that works on the same principle ?

I really don’t want to go back to oil or wax based lubes , thanks.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I think they have re-branded as flaer but I don’t know if they do a similar product. I bought the 5L container in the summer, hope they continue to offer it as I think it’s great too !

benpinnick

You might want to try pro max gold. Not the quite the same principle, like a super strong version of UBS but does the same thing in terms of keeping the drivetrain clean.

bencooper
    Free Member

Fraser Scott once slipped up and told me what’s in it – but he’d kill me if I told you 😉

The Flaer thing is going to be very interesting, well worth keeping an eye on that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Fraser Scott once slipped up and told me what’s in it – but he’d kill me if I told you

I think it’s basically skimmed milk, but it seems to work so I don’t care.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Wow , fantastic , just had a reply from Scottoiler . It has been rebranded as Flaer Guard , defo seen that for sale !

Thanks , Gents & Happy New Year !

stanleigh
    Free Member

Hmmm , looks like Flear are still sorting out distribution .

Benpinnick , don’t suppose you could find a link for Pro Max Gold ? Can’t seem to find it on Google .

Thanks .

andysredmini
    Free Member

Pro link gold is nothing like UBS. The whole easy clean part of UBS is because it’s water based and washes off with water. I have a love hate relationship with UBS. On one hand I love how clean and easy it is but drivetrain wear is terrible and a chain only lasts me around 250 miles. Cleanliness wins though and I’ll be buying some of the new stuff.

benpinnick

Pro link gold is nothing like UBS

Well thats what I meant by not the same.. but it does a good job of keeping the drivetrain clean which I would see as the main benefit of UBS – so in that regard I would call it similar. But you are right its definitely not a comparable product in terms of being washable, sorry if I mislead anyone!

Its also worth noting its pretty potent stuff, not the sort of thing you might want washing onto your prize roses…

stanleigh
    Free Member

No worries Benpinnick , did you mean ProLink Chain Lube ?

Reviewers seem to agree with you , I’ll give it a go !

Andrewsredmini – I’m surprised you had chain wear issues with UBS , quite e opposite for me . My local woods are sandy , the fact that UBS is not sticky and easily washes off after the ride , has meant my drive chains have lasted much longer than they did with wet weather oil.

Saying that though , that’s for a 2hr blast , I wouldn’t use UBS for an all day epic !

benpinnick

Yes Stanleigh its Progold ProLink – doh. I have a massive bottle if you ever want to swing by Bird for a sample 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have used UBS for a couple of years now and have just started buying cheap chains and accepting they don’t last. First puddle on a ride and the drivetrain sounds awful, like it has no lube left. But as I said above I think it’s worth it for how easy it is to clean. One brush and a hose and the drivetrain looks like new.
    I tried prolink gold but found it no cleaner or better than a normal lube. I’m also trying squirt and rock n roll extreme which have also been disappointingly dirty compared with scottoiler but have lasted longer so it’s swings and roundabouts.

bencooper
    Free Member

Flaer are the guys to ask, but I think the whole point of their stuff is that it does wash off, so you have the device that reapplies it as you ride.

Cowman

Hi,

I asked this a few weeks ago. Did find some UBS from Lomo.

I think the stuff is great. Never have figured out why your shouldn’t get it on your tyres?

scotroutes

Why wouldn’t you want a lubricant on your tyres? (if you believe it’s actually a lubricant in the first place)

iainc

Re the ProGold Prolink, it’s a good thin non messy lube. I use it on the winter road bike and its cleaner than many. They do a extreme version that stays put a bit longer. I don’t find either of them as clean and long lasting as rock’n’roll blue though.

I tried UBS a year or so back, was useless for the ground conditions I ride in, washed off in first 10 mins of most rides. Clean shiny chain mind you !

Cowman

Yes, but I’d have though it would wear off very very quickly on a ride, and given its water based it would just wash off the tyres by cycling thru wet grass.

Who knows.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not careful when I spray UBS on my bike, and I’m sure I get it on the tyres and brakes, but it never causes a problem, I reckon it just burns off first time you use the brakes. I’ve always assumed that’s it gets into the inner bits of the chain, the rollers and so on, where it matters, and is better protected from being washed away there. I don’t see why it matters if it washes off the outside of the chain. Either way, it seems to work well for me.

hainman
    Free Member

Is Scotoiler the place in Glasgow by chance??
    I pass a place that has this name when I’m out riding up in Mugdock near Glasgow

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive a couple of 750ml bottles in the garrage.

It was great for one dry lap of a teail center. But even on the road bike it sounded horrible after 50miles.

It also stained my fatty yellow in places where drips clung to the frame and mixed with road grime.

For frame protection any old ‘wet wax’ from halfords seems just as good (silicone/water based wax).

Duc
    Free Member

Squirt lube works for me – considering how sacrificial it is I’m amazed at how long my chain has alsted so far. 1000 miles of abusive riding and still not even a hint of fitting the chain checker in.

sillyoldman

Bencooper- I’m guessing it’s a whisky/lager combo.

Hainman – aye. Fraser is the, uhm, eccentric behind it all.

bencooper
    Free Member

Fraser is an under appreciated genius – his fish bridge to connect two fish tanks together is still my favourite of his inventions 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Scottoiler UBS’ is closed to new replies.