Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Scottish weekend advice
  • rattie79
    Free Member

Alright, was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on a short break in Scotland. It’ll be me and the better half, no kids / dogs / commitments or unfortunately bikes.
    Looking for a good day walk, nice pub or the like with rooms, good food and a big fire.
    Possibly a trip to a distillery or something along those lines.
    Looking to impress here as I need to convince swmbo that Scotland could be the spot for next years family hol’s.
    What do ya reckon?
    Tar

legend
    Free Member

as I need to convince swmbo that Scotland could be the spot for next years family hol’s.
    What do ya reckon?

I reckon you should give up now. Having any sort of requirement just means it’s goign to piss down relentlessly on you 😉

Failing that, Mull.

trail_rat
    Free Member

where are you coming from and by what mode of transport…

poah
    Free Member

get a decent hotel near where you live and have a drink and lots of sex. scotland’s shite lol

rattie79
    Free Member

I know my timing ain’t great for the best of the Scottish weather, but Waterproofs will be available!
    trail rat- coming from West Yorkshire, by car

fergal
    Free Member

It does tend to be a bit twee in the touristy areas, finding good places to eat can be a tad challenging, if you like mountains, the Clachaig inn glencoe is good, obviously outstanding walking in the area too.

What ever you do for the summer hols, do not even consider camping, many a gullible fool has taken this option, but i guess you will not make the same mistake twice 😯

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Loads! But you sound like you really want an island. Try skye. Loads to see and some amazing quality nosh at the 3 chimneys if you can book.

duncancallum

Black isle?

scotroutes

Three Chimneys just lost their Michelin star btw.

Clachaig at Glencoe meets your requirements. Bridge of Orchy hotel also. You might have to do a distillery visit as a day out or en route. Neither scream “family holiday” though. For that I’d suggest Dumfries and Galloway or the Aviemore area.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t try and travel too far, Forget Skye for a weekend.

For maximum relaxation time, good food, drink, log fire and lovin’ – I’d be heading to the lakes tbh!.

steveoath
    Free Member

Aberfoyle. Always deals on at the MacDonald hotel there. Also the b and b above the pub at the carpark has been done up and is great (according to a colleague).

Peebles is nice too.

steveoath
    Free Member

Arran is great and not as far to travel as Skye. As said, forget going up to skye for weekend.

rattie79
    Free Member

Thanks for the idea’s,
    the Clachaig looks great and there will be a band on while were there.
    I hear what your saying nobeerinthefridge, but I really feel like I need to go and try Scotland as I’ve not spent much time up there.
    I reckon it should be driveable in 5hrs-ish

tomd
    Free Member

Clachaig is probably a good shout. I wouldn’t say their hospitality or food is the best but it’s an iconic pub in a spectacular location. The climbers bar can be good when there’s music on.

If you do end up going there I can strongly recommend taking a walk up to the “hidden valley” in Glencoe. It’s a fantastic little walk and close to the Clachaig. There are other great walk nearby – particularly behind Onich where there’s a red squirrel viewing thing and some enormous falls. There are plenty big hills to climb if that’s your thing. Distillery wise the nearest is in Fort Fort William which isn’t too far away. However, if you want to sell a Scotland holiday to your other half Fort William is best avoided.

GavinB

Blair Atholl, Pitlochry or Aberfeldy area are good. Easy to get to from the south by car or train, lots of quiet hills around as they are not in the ‘honey pot’ of the CairnGorms and plenty to do apart from hill-walking.

Maybe have a look at the Moulin Hotel near Pitlochry?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Scottish weekend advice’ is closed to new replies.