Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Scottish types – Strath Rusdale to Strath Carron
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hi folks

planning a tour for easter and was wondering whether the track from here to here would be rideable on semi loaded tourers with medium tyres? the rest of the tour is on road so we tyres need to be mostly road suitable but obviously toughish

any advice much appreciated

Mike

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – never ridden it, but it looks like fairly standard forest track all the way (two dashed lines).

I would.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, was hoping google earth would help but i think the whisky haze affects the satellites over most of northern Scotland

Smee
    Free Member

Try Geograph

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hi Mike.

I rode this as part of a huge loop a few years ago. What I remember most about it was being utterly f***ed most of the way with a burning sensation in my thighs for mile after agonising mile. Don’t let that put you off though! It was in March and I think it was my first ride of the year.

The Strath Rusdale route is part of an old road, so it’s basically a mix of LRT and overgrown tarmac. All perfectly rideable in a beautiful, remote part of the country. I think it gets a bit rougher as you get towards Glen Calvie and there’s a lot more up and down, but it’s all good LRT as far as I can remember. I’m not sure how it would be on a touring bike cos I’ve never ridden one, but you’d want sturdy-ish tyres and strong arms to cope with the jarring.

Definitely worth a go.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks, route looks a bit like this at the moment, 6 days currently

Inverness to Cromarty
    Cromarty to Ardgay
    Ardgay to Lochinver
    Lochinver to Riconich
    Riconich to Carbisdale Castle
    then back to Inverness airport 🙂

Swayndo
    Free Member

Strath Ruisdale is metalled, although it is so long since it was metalled you wont notice in places. I reckon it should be do-able on tough wheels and big tyres with some tread, but it won’t be that comfortable.

I use the pass as part of a C2C from my house in Evanton to Ullapool each year so know it well. I was also up there a few weekends ago, but had to walk maybe 4 miles over the highest ground as the snow was too deep. At 460m or so (from memory) it may well have snow on the Easter weekend but the Struie road is your back-up.

Wave as you go by.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Aye you will be alright on that section, as Swayndo says it is metalled albeit a long time ago but its far from being totally knackered 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks guys, found some pics of it on a tour blog as well

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Scottish types – Strath Rusdale to Strath Carron’ is closed to new replies.