Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Scottish trip booked: More top tips requested
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

So have booked a trip to 7 Stanes area.

Fri to Mon so 3 days riding (half of Fri, Sat, Sun and Half of Mon)

Planning Dalbeattie on the Fri, Kirroughtree on the Sat and then Mabie on the Sunday…..

Not sure Mabie will fill a Sunday though??

Any non trail centre activity that is recommended? Will one of the trail centres be able to advise on this and have maps etc??

Travelling up from Matlock if that helps at all….Nov 2nd to the 5th.

Thanks,
    Mark

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

ker-boing

hels
    Free Member

Mabie is a lot shorter than Dalbeattie so swap those ??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geologist
    Free Member

I just fitted in Mabie and Ae into one day, travelled up from Buxton at 6.30am. Now sat in my hotel 2 hours north of Dumfries. Its easy to fit 2 trails in a day here. Any of them will fit into 2 aday except Kirr.

Means you can get more in 🙂

moonsaballoon

Drumlanrig is worth a visit if your around that area

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Hels – will look at that….previous advice on here was Dalbeattie for the Friday afternoon (will arrive at lunchtime – prompt)

Could be Dalbeattie to fill a day then??

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Moon – will look at that too…..just seen another thread on that site 🙂

Ta….

Northwind

I’d recommend Drumlanrig over Dalbeattie, personally. Nothing wrong with Dalbeattie at all though, it’s still lovely.

PrinceJohn

Mabie can fill a day if you play on the 4cross skills area.

Trekster

There are diversions at Dalbeattie I think, check web site and give the rangers a cal for confirmation. You can add a coastal path trail onto Dalbeattie from Kipford through to Sandyhills. Ride up the road and re enter the forest at Colvend.
    You could therefore go straight to Kirry, 1hr from Dumfries on Fri.
    Sat would/could be Mabie+Dalbeattie
    Sunday could be Ae+Drum if you are a fit lad 😉

OS78 Nithsdale, look for Durisdeer, follow tracks to Daer Res then pick up Southern Upland Way to Dalveen Pass. Pick up Roman Road back to Durisdeer 😆 Likely to be very wet, not advisable in low cloud and involves a bit of hiking 😉 But worth it 😆

Rik also had a route published in mbuk which went from a farm(?) up to the masts at Wanlockhead and down the Enterkin Burn “path” which is probably one of the best descents around here 😀

There are also trails out of Mabie over to New Abbey and then up to the monument and back 😀

PrinceJohn – Member
    Mabie can fill a day if you play on the 4cross skills area.

Get it wrong and it can end up with broken bones 🙄

Monday? Whinlatter on the way home 💡

http://www.kirkpatrickcycles.co.uk/. Ross may know some trails if you take a map in.
    Likewise Rik at Drum
    Jemma at Mabie Shed cafe might be able to find someone in the cafe who knows a trail or two if you give her a call or use Facebook. http://www.cycle-centre.com/shed.html

jimmy

On Sunday, head off early and hit up Cut Gate & Ladybower on the way home.

Just me that’s Peaks home-sick…?

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Locals wed night ride bring your lights

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

oops you wont be here sorry

RustyMac

Following this thread with interest, my girlfriend and I a looking at heading to Dalbeattie and Mabie a week on Saturday for a few days. Any tips on places to eat down that way?

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

The Anchor at Kippford near Dbt is in a beautiful position and is ok as far as pub food goes, There is an Italian in Dbt not been there but it was recomended to me by a mate from DBT .The Kings arms in Castle douglas is great and run by a friend of mine who is a biker

Trekster

Anchor as above
    Steamboat in Carsthorn
    The Italian in Dalbeattie(need to book)
    The pub at the Haugh of Urr
    CD chippy 😆
    Depends on where your are staying?

RustyMac

We are looking at camping over the weekend, not totally set on where yet but at the moment it could be Castle Point on the Saturday then Marthrown of Mabie on the Sunday.

We will hope to do some cooking when camping but that depends a lot on weather and how knackered we are after cycling.

Any top tips on nice places to camp with secure storage for mountain bikes.

geoffj

I’d go to Kippford over Castle Point, but most folk prefer sandy hills. Don’t know about secure storage though – lock them to the car?

RustyMac

Locking the bikes to or in the car could be an option, Kippford also looks nice. The more choices for us the better as we have left it a little late to book so availability could be an issue.

geoffj

A bit further afield is Seaward (http://www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=136) past Kirkcudbright. Nice and quiet across the road from the shore with an outdoor heated swimming pool 😀

roady_tony
    Free Member

watch your bikes at Mabie – recent local thefts in car park and at the accomo.

drumlanrig is great if you dont have to pay the 5.50 each to ride there.

RustyMac

I’m looking into a decent lock for the bikes just now, my car has a fixed toeing point at the rear so i could use that like as an anchor point.

Riding wise our trip wil be relatively tame, Green and Blue runs only. My girlfriend is pregnant just now and is happy on thoes grades and does not want to push her self just now. Seems like a good excuse for me to practice manuals and pedal wheelies to keep things interesting.

shortcut

I like the 4 day weekend as its a long way from Hampshire. Usually leave home at 6, breakfast on the M6 toll, coffee at Tebay, then do Mabie or Dalbeattie on Friday afternoon.

Saturday is the full Red and Black at Kirroughtree before driving over to Glentress for Sunday and doing a spin around Inners on Monday morning. Getting me home around 8pm.

Job done!

Trekster

Better pack your thermals, has turned a wee it cold and windy 🙄
    If you could push the boat out for the missus you could treat het to a wigwam 😀
    There are also pods/wigwams at Mabie House and Sandyhills.
    Check Southerness for a cheap caravan.
    Kipford is the best camp site in the area and I think it has a bike store/workshop. Short walk down into the village for a meal/pint at the Anchor. Not far from Dalbeattie for essential shopping or Dumfries/Castle Douglas for Tesco/Co-op, bigger shops.

Nearest bike shop.. http://www.mpgcycles.co.uk/
    Nextlevel and CDcycles in Castle Douglas

Trekster

Any non trail centre activity that is recommended? Will one of the trail centres be able to advise on this and have maps etc??

Travelling up from Matlock if that helps at all….Nov 2nd to the 5th.

Thanks,
    Mark
    I am night shift on the Fri & Sat so could meet and give you a “locals” insight to Mabie or Dalbeattie 😉 Can do all day Sunday if you fancy something in the hills 💡

If you fancied an easy days cycling away from the forests you could try this

RustyMac

Trekster

The Gorsebank camping cabins look spot on we were hoping for something like that a Marthrown over the weekend but they have a wedding on. Temperature wise for us i hope it will be ok, we are coming down from Aberdeen!

RustyMac

damn it,

Gorsebank seems to be fully booked the weekend we want to head down there going to email encase they have a cancellation. Looks like it is back to plan a the tent and Kippford.

Trekster

3 pods at Mabie and 2 at Sandyhills which may be closed for the winter?
    Might get a cheap ‘van at Kipford?
    http://www.wigwamholidays.com/Barnsoul_Farm_Wigwams

pottsathome
    Free Member

Malcolm who owns mabie hotel lets people camp on the grounds and use of the shower block etc then cooked breakfast in the morning. Just another option

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Scottish trip booked: More top tips requested’ is closed to new replies.