Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Scottish Trail Centres
  • wiz74

Thinking about formulating some kinda ‘all trail centres in Scotland challenge’ as inspired by Issue 82. First challenge is to list them! The 7 stanes are easy and I have the following – any to add???

1. 7 Stanes
    2. Golspie
    3. Strathpuffer (?)
    4. Balblair
    5. Carbisdale
    6. Learnie
    7. Laggan
    8. Fort Bill
    7. Drumlanrig
    8. Fochabers

Next challenge is to define what a trail centre is – I mean cheeky local trails can;t be included or we could be here all day! Is the commonwealth track a TC? Probably not, what about Mugdock Park?

Contributions welcome and appreciated!!!

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Glencoe and the Lecht?

Northwind

Comrie Croft

geoffj

I mean cheeky local trails can;t be included

No such thing as cheeky* in Scotland.

*although the yard wide water bars on some tracks in the Cairngorms would have you believe otherwise.

Edit: Glenlivet too!

scotroutes

Grantown on Spey
    Callander Park
    Dunkeld

poly
    Free Member

You are missing Caron Valley and Fire tower trail,

Mugdock park is not (AFAIK) an official mountain bike route (signposted and clear to walkers etc – to avoid). Pollock Park on the other hand is – but whether it is worth your effort might be a different question.

I would have thought the Commonwealth route would count (at least once officially open/complete).

There are various small local centres which are official centres. e.g. Callendar Estate (nr Falkirk), and Abriachan near Loch Ness. And for completeness the trails in Knoydart!

new trails are also under construction at Beecraigs and South Queensferry!

vorlich
    Free Member

South Queensferry

Go on….

Northwind

VAT Run I guess? Pumptrack already open and short loops under construction. Haven’t been to a dig for ages but it looks like they’ve made great progress.

poly
    Free Member

vorlich – Member
    South Queensferry
    Go on….

I’m not up-to-date but pump track in the woods behind Port Edgar (nearly complete?) and plans for more trails too.

kcal

Kirkhill, Aberdeen

vorlich
    Free Member

Googled it! Must get along to the Tuesday night trail building sessions.

vorlich
    Free Member
    yetidave
    Free Member

beecraigs, blairadam, pitmeddem (sp) north third, dumyat, not trail centres as such…

geoffj

Kinnoull Hill

Brake-neck
    Free Member

You are missing Caron Valley

With good reason, its gash! 🙂

br
    Free Member

and you can’t really just put the 7 Stanes, they stretch almost 100 miles across the country – you ought to have them separated

robgarrioch

There’s a wee track in Kyleakin, no idea of current conditions… Shown in blue here too.

roverpig

Pitfichie

There are 3 at Fochabers, but I guess they are all linked.

messiah
    Free Member

Glenlivet (when it opens 😀 ).

theblackmount
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of Trail Centre…

Carron Valley, Callander Estate and Cathkin Braes all def fall into the TC cat. Other locations with purpose built trails incl: Fochabers, (Moray Monster) Middledon, (Kirkaldy) Lochore / Blairadam, Glenbranter, Kyleakin, Fire Tower, Comrie Croft, VAT run, Beecraigs (if it ever gets finished)Cumbernauld, Motherwell, Arran,Inverie (’bout the size of the Vat run ;-))Campbeltown has something iirc, Aberfoyle? Whitelees?

Glenlivet is def a large TC and must be all but practically complete (the next big thing?)

Kinneil – Boness (on the dwg board – needs funding)

Kippenrait – Dunblane (on the dwg board /subject to planning consent)

Lennox – been on the dwg board for years
    Angus Glens – Ditto

Others in the pipeline: Muirshiel CP,Kilpatricks plus someehere in deepest Ayrshire (Dalmellington?)

DH:

Falkland? Glencoe, Lecht and Glenshee are all gravity assisted (Glenshee may no longer be providing uplift)Cairngorm do a ‘guided only’ descent off the top (but plans on the dwg board for chairlift assisted trails in Coire n Ciste)

poly
    Free Member

Beecraigs (if it ever gets finished)

recent progress has been quite good. 18 months of almost continuous rain has forced them to reinforce more of the route than they originally expected. Its being built by hand (no machines to keep cost down and avoid the path being too wide etc) They are planning to have a red loop (with a wee black off shoot) open by end of summer. What I saw looked ok – its new built trail so a bit “sanitised” but relatively narrow and they are trying to keep roots etc in.

the_lecht_rocks

Any update on Glenlivet opening dates ? Their Facebook page is stagnant…

andypandy85
    Free Member

Kiroughtree, Innerleithen

chief1409
    Free Member

Cathkin Braes is finished (to all intents and purposes) and is pretty good if a bit short. Need to do a few laps but thats fine as you can work out best lines etc or choose the blue/red/black options at various obstacles.

highlandman
    Free Member

Glamis Estate in Angus has about 25km of woodland singletrack, historical and built by the fairies. No signage yet but the estate are keen to see it used, so cake will be bought from the Castle cafe…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Trail Centres’ is closed to new replies.