Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Scottish Singlespeeders
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

Having recently moved north of the border I’m still trying to find my feet in the world of Scottish mountain biking. The singlespeeding MTB hipsters all seem to group down in the southern end of the country where terrain suits the use of one gear but what about those who venture into the big mountains? I’ve committed both a 2014 Kona Unit and 2015 Kona Honzo to SS and was wondering whether anyone else here in Scotland understands this way of life?? Is there such a thing as a Scottish SS group? If not, why not?

So many questions, give me some answers!

Ta!

Andy-R

I don’t think that southern flat land does suit single speeds. That’s where there at their worst, imo.

Gear to suit where you want to climb and let gravity deal with going down – put up with being slow on occasional flat stuff. That’s what I do anyway, although I’m not in Scotland.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think that southern flat land does suit single speeds. That’s where there at their worst, imo.

Agree wholeheartedly.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve been out on mine 3 times in the last week. I’ve not used in the proper hills but it’s fine at trail centres, the Pentlands and the local woods. For big hills and big days out if prefer my other bike which has more travel and a granny ring. We had a STW ride at Pitlochry a few years back which had a couple of decent climbs and I only remember walking one steep bit but when I did the ride again I was amazed I’d managed it on the SS. I’m in Midlothian if you want to go for a ride.

matt_outandabout

we have a SS for the paper round / supermarket shop bike, does that count?

(We are also looking for next size up, large/19″ ish singlespeed, mucho cheapness please)

troberts1994
    Free Member

Gear to suit where you want to climb and let gravity deal with going down – put up with being slow on occasional flat stuff. That’s what I do anyway, although I’m not in Scotland.

Good point Andy! Perhaps I meant more that it’s less punishing on the legs and lungs down south! Although I guess you could argue that you’d push a bigger gear down there, too many variables haha!

I was amazed I’d managed it on the SS. I’m in Midlothian if you want to go for a ride.

That’s what I love about SS, it pushes you beyond your supposed limit! I’ll have to take you up on that offer sometime Steven, I’m based in Stirling.

we have a SS for the paper round / supermarket shop bike, does that count?

Of course laddy, join the club!

robbie
    Free Member

Single speeder here, Love my single use it for most things, Cairngorms, strathpuffer, Even done glentress last week on it. I’m not in a club I like being an individual!

kcal

SS among other setups here, in NE Scotland, not all climbs can be achieved, all the time, but you’d be surprised what can be done..

fifeandy
    Free Member

New SSer here. Been enjoying it so far, and looking forward to getting it down to Glentress to see how i like it on some longer climbs

yetidave
    Free Member

SS swift. I find that if the ground is hard I can get up most stuff. If its soft I struggle. Central belt.

swavis

SS Puffin here in the NE, nae far fae kcal 😉 , some hills are a push but it really does make me put a bit more effort in

nedrapier

You’re the right end of the island for SSEC next May!

http://ssec17.com/find-us/

I’ve got up stuff on my SS puffin I’ve not managed on geared bikes. The back grips and grips and grips, smooths out momentum sucking bumps, and the front stays planted. All you need is to push hard enough on the pedals. I’m in the namby-pamby no mountains south, though.

tjagain

Way of life? I hope that was ironic 😉 Its just riding a bike

thepodge
    Free Member

A Unit and a Honzo, I like your style. I was questioned over running a ss Honzo down here in the Peak District so props to you up there.

nedrapier

There’s only one way of life, TJ, and that’s your own.

nedrapier

your own

nedrapier

your own.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Aye, Swordale Singlespeed Society is hosting the European Championships in 2017.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’s Friday TJ,away and wash your hair or something.

troberts1994
    Free Member

There are shit loads of SSers out there, right on! We should definitely get some rides organised!

You’re the right end of the island for SSEC next May!

Thanks for the heads up nedrapier, will definitely be in attendance! Apparently SSUK is in the Lakes next year as well, would be well worth doing too!

Its just riding a bike

I’ve never heard a sadder phrase in all my life! I pity you TJ!

A Unit and a Honzo, I like your style. I was questioned over running a ss Honzo down here in the Peak District so props to you up there.

I’ve literally just built the SS Honzo up, she was gathering dust as the Unit was getting all the attention so I thought if I ditched the gears she’d make it out the garage more often! Gearing is outrageously easy at the mo, just getting by with the sprockets I had lying about in the garage!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

looking forward to getting it down to Glentress

Glentress is ideal for a singlespeed as there aren’t many steep climbs. Dare I say it the climb to Buzzards nest is good fun on the singlespeed, lot of sprinting. We need a Glentress get together of the Scottish singlespeeders.

troberts1994
    Free Member

Glentress is ideal for a singlespeed as there aren’t many steep climbs. Dare I say it the climb to Buzzards nest is good fun on the singlespeed, lot of sprinting. We need a Glentress get together of the Scottish singlespeeders.

I think formation of such a group needs to happen, instead of us all just lurking at our local haunts!

AlasdairMc

SS Stooge here, previously an El Mar. My Stooge has become my favourite bike, I ride it more than any of my other bikes, as a commuter and a mountain bike. I’ve not been down to Glentress on it yet though – need to see how my fitness returns as I’ve been off SS for a while.

jordie
    Free Member

Why dont we start a SSS page on the old Facebook?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Quite a few of us on Retrobike were singlespeeding for a while, the last time I had one was a few years ago though. I might SS the Rooster mind you. Post up if you do start a Facebook page, I’d be up for a burly round GT.

2tyred

(waves) hiya pal!

All my off-road riding is SS, both MTB and CX. Racing CX tomorrow in fact. Agree with Andy up there, SS must be so dull on flat ground.

If you’re in Stirling, Cambusbarron and North Third are great on the SS. Everywhere is.

epicyclo

troberts1994 – Member
    ..Is there such a thing as a Scottish SS group? If not, why not?

We’re like our gear systems, not usually found in clusters. 🙂

Most singlespeeders I know up here are usually out on their own most of the time.

There’s certainly plenty singlespeeds in the Highlands.

robbie
    Free Member

2tyred I do a bit of cross racing well taking part! I’m thinking about converting my cross bike to single. Did you
    do knockburn a few weeks ago? What gearing did you run ? Do you find you are having to alter the gearing much for the Scottish rounds?
    Cheers

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ll singlespeed glentress with anyine who fancies it.

2tyred

Hi robbie – yeah, raced Knockburn the other week (did OK that day!) – use 39:17 on the CX, find it about right for all the Scottish venues. Irvine’s hard though. Tomorrow’s Strathclyde park, the red ash climb there’s probably the most SS-unfriendly feature on the whole series.

I’m too lazy to alter gearing, just go with what I’ve got. CX bike only gets used for racing and training. Wouldn’t want to commute on it or anything.

34:17 on the MTB.

troberts1994
    Free Member

Why dont we start a SSS page on the old Facebook?

I’ve set up a closed group on FB, just search for Scottish Singlespeed Society. Anyone with one gear is welcome!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/819516211485447/

nedrapier

The One Cog fb group is worth looking up (can’t link from here, sorry). There might already be a decent contingent of Scots SSers on there.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Singlespeeders’ is closed to new replies.