• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LD.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Scottish peaks. Which is the best ridable summit? Photos please.
  • dgrider
    Free Member

Don't mind carrying up just as long as you can ride down.

donald
    Free Member

Define peak please

proteus
    Free Member

dunslair heights or minch moor.

dgrider
    Free Member

We are talking mountains.

jimmy

Ben Cleugh above Tillicoultry. Really nice descent.

Kit
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor. Not exactly a 'peak' but it is a summit above Munro height. Rideable all the way up and down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerfox/

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Others much more experienced than me, but two I do know that have eminently rideable tracks to the summit plateau if you are very fit:
    Carn Ban Mor near Aviemore – 1052m and fantastic singletrack descent
    Ben a Bhuird near Braemar – 1197m and its a Munro. Descent is great the same way as coming up, but you can also drop down onto the Glen Slugain path

Edit – doh, too slow

epicyclo

In my younger days I entertained the idea of doing the Munros with a bike. Had an old paratrooper bike for a while – the idea was to strap it on my back for the rough bits. Never did it because I didn't have daft enough mates, and I knew it wasn't a good idea for a solo expedition.

Still think of it though – maybe a lightweight Dahon would do:)

yoshimi

Kit – that looks stunning – nice pics

Kunstler

Not biked it but Glas Tulaichean from the Spittal of Glenshee is a bikeable munro as is Broad Cairn from Loch Muick. In fact you could probably bag a few white mounth peaks around Lochnagar while you're up there. Mount Keen seems to be a regularly biked munro too.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The only munro I've biked up was Mount Keen. Even for me that was mostly rideable on the way up (with a bit of pushing on the steepest section, climbing onto the plateau) – someone fitter (i.e. everyone) could well be able to ride all of it except the final summit bit.

Tremendous fun as a descent. It probably took me the best part of 2 hours from car-park to summit, but perhaps only 20 minutes or so on the way down.

dmiller
    Free Member

Kit – Member

Carn Ban Mor.

Nice! – whats the route for this one? You got a handy link?

jimmy – Member

Ben Cleugh above Tillicoultry. Really nice descent.

Its nice! This was my first ever club run with a local club a few years back. I was 18 stone and on a V brake £150 very basic Giant. In November. Thank god for a certain person in the club that looked after me all the way down – Thanks Beagy!

Smee
    Free Member

Ben Ime – one hell of a ride.

Kit
    Free Member

Nice! – whats the route for this one? You got a handy link?

Afraid not, however I may be able to russle you up a plan tonight and email it. I have a partial tracklog (missing out only the obvious bit) if you can use it. Again, I'll try and get it to you when I get home. Navigation is very straightforward though 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

More photies from CBM:

You take in a bit of the Glen Feshie singletrack too (sorry Fi!):

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mt Keen – fantastic fun towards Deeside.
    Ben Lawers.
    Ben Lomond.
    Morvern/Morrone (nr Braemar)
    Allermuir ridge?

heihei

2nd Morvern / Morrone nr Braemar.

Bumped into a chap on top of Ben Macdui who'd ridden/walked up from Linn of Dee. Said he'd done it a few times before, as well as Lochnagar. He was on a Cove G-Spot so I guess the ride down was pretty awesome!

Gnnr

Cynic-al, are you allowed to bike on Ben Lawers? I'm sure I tried once only to come to a fence with a big sign saying no mountain bikes etc… can anyone confirm this?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I met someone who has done the Lochnagar circuit from the Loch Muick car park – that's 5 Munros if you take all the tops in. Probably 90% rideable?

Slight highjack, but the other loop that would be all rideable except for half of the climb would be the Invervar horseshoe in Glen Lyon – 3 Munros along the ridge. Anybody done it, or more importantly anybody up for doing it?

Kit
    Free Member

Cynic-al, are you allowed to bike on Ben Lawers? I'm sure I tried once only to come to a fence with a big sign saying no mountain bikes etc… can anyone confirm this?

The Land Access Reform allows you responsible access now, with some exceptions (private estates perhaps being one?). The question is whether it is responsible rather than allowed, and that will depend on time of year, day of the week, weather etc… Feel free to argue against this, but its how I understand it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gnnr – Member

Under right to roam you can cycle anywhere that is "reasonable" this is basically undefined as yet but IMO popular mountains such as ben lomond would only be reasonable when few folk are on it IE not on a sunny summer Sunday and some particularly fragile mountains it would never be reasonable – but that is only an opinion. "no cycling" signs are almost certainly meaningless

Vader
    Free Member

i'm with tj on this, there are plenty of 'rideable' routes about and although technically legal they aren't the place for mtb's, especially in groups. Recent magazine articles showing high cairngorm routes are examples of riding that is frowned upon by some people round here, people that are otherwise fully supportive of access to wild areas. There are plenty of paths and tracks that can sustain regular-ish bike use so hopefuly it won't bcome a problem in the future

matt_outandabout

*keeps schtum about future Bhein Ghlas/Ben Lawers trip*

grumm
    Free Member

There is a Ben Alder route in the VG Scotland Guide – not tried it though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

cynical-al, what was your route on Ben Lawyers? Friend of mine has done from the bealach between Ben Lawyers and Ben Ghlass down to the visitor centre but its hikey bikey all the way up.

metalheart
    Free Member

Only munro I've done by bike has been Mount Keen. You can always take in the Fungle on the way back…

LD
    Free Member

In order of preference(ish) it's hard to decide –
    Morrone
    Carn Ban Mor
    Ben Ledi
    Ben Lomond, could be higher in the dry but probably too busy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Scottish peaks. Which is the best ridable summit? Photos please.’ is closed to new replies.